Newby Rebuild, Ambitious or insane?

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice
I have an opportunity to buy a 25 Ft Yamaha Cabin boat for use around the islands where i am stationed. I want to make an offer and i think i can get it for almost nothing but Here is my Problem-

The engines havent ran in over a yr so may need a Rebuild or tuneup (not a big deal)- But My main concern is dry rot and termite damage. It is a fiberglass boat but the wood under the cabin is rotten and termite infested, So far i can only find them Directly under the Cabin Floor, But i am afraid its a pipe dream to expect they are limited to just that area.

I am Very comfortable with do it yourself projects and i am actually excited to try but i dont want to Bite off more than i can chew... The rest of the hull and the boat needs cleaned and the captains chair needs replaced, But other than that the boat seems to be in great shape-

If i end up having to replace the entire floor and transom is that a complicated issue or not a big deal? Any ideas?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Newby Rebuild, Ambitious or insane?

Welcome to iboats.

A 25' boat is very ambitious. What is powering it? If the powerplant is shot or if it is a Yamaha outdrive I would walk away

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the Response,

Its powered by 2 Mercruiser 165Hp Sterndrive engines, I honestly cant figure out what make and model the boat is, it is definately a 70's style or maybe very early 80's but i doubt it.

The owner bought it off someone else and says its a yamaha, But i am not sure about that and i cant find any identifying features or markings, and it looks to me like a 1970 Sportcraft hardtop or Imperial.

I really want to get it and get to work, But i all i have access to right now is the main deck, the engine compartment (which is in good shape but the engines need a tune up at the very least) and the cabin which has some rot and termite damage to the floor. The area under the main deck i havent been able to access yet so i am unsure how bad it will be.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

mine has a a merc 165 sterndrive. Most engine guys you talk to (i'm assumimng its a 250 inline 6) love that engine. real workhorses that are simple. As for crazy or ambitious? Its up to you. It's a lot of work, but its rewarding. I've had a couple major setbacks on my project but i keep plugging away. None of it is too complex, just a lot of sweat and elbow grease.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great engines and drives..... can you post lot's of pictures.....
Is this going to stay in the water? It is an ambitious project and not knowing where you are stationed.... parts may be tough. How is the fiberglass supply, wood supplies etc?

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice

I am in Okinawa japan, there are boats everywhere here so i am not to worried about supplies. Its on a trailer right now, but i would prefer to leave it in the water once the repairs are done.

But problem # 226 on the list is actually getting it in the water since the trailer is rusted almost to beyond repair, the only positive there is that its parked at the marina and they have the heavy equipment that can put it in the water while i fix the trailer.

I have some pictures and am working on getting more but for some reason my computer is not cooperating, Ill try again from a different computer later tonight. As for the V6 or what not, i havent looked that closely but i do have some pictures of it ill post when i can.

I have never been known to do the simple stuff, i kinda like the ambitious/borderline crazy projects, i learn more that way and i am not afraid of the work, its the complex aspect that had me a little worried.

I Will call this guy tommorow and make an offer, i am just trying to decide how Low i can actually go, there is no way this boat can go in the water without some serious work. From what i have been able to find "Similar" boats (because i cant find the specific model) are going for under $1000 and i am thinking even less, the electronics are fairly new thats the only real value i am seeing other than a Hull with no holes the Fiberglass in good shape, and possibly the engines.

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice

OK here are some pics, If anyone can identify this boat make and model please do so!

as you can see the one of the engines is rusted and needs some serious attention, the Floor in the cabin is rotten and has termites, the Captains Chair and the rest of the deck is a mess (that is actually Fiberglass not board, but its pretty soft so i am sure the wood underneathe needs replaced).

And last but not least the Trailer is pretty much done.

Attachments

• IMG_0602[1].jpg
    IMG_0602[1].jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0598[1].jpg
    IMG_0598[1].jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0596[1].jpg
    IMG_0596[1].jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0595[1].jpg
    IMG_0595[1].jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0594[1].jpg
    IMG_0594[1].jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, that is an Inline 6. Just like the one in my boat. If you are prepared to do the work, then go for it. You'll get all the help you need from the good people here. Good luck with your project!

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good luck. have you made the offer? Anxious to hear.

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would drool over that myself, but what I see is rot in the first pic, and some serious overhaul work on that engine.

I've had friends in the Marshals, but not familiar with Okinawa. A lot of boats on this forum are in New York or Alabama, but you're looking at a supply issue. What you'll probably need is:
*Exterior grade plywood (ACX or BCX in the States) and lots of it. Where there's a little rot, there's probably a lot, it's like cancer, or even worse, tooth decay. Worst case, you'll need to replace deck and stringers and bulkheads and the transom.
*Access to epoxy or poly resin (2-part systems with resin and hardener) and fiberglass cloth or mat and tons (okay, gallons not tons) of that. In the States, many on this forum use uscomposites.com, but I don't know if they ship from Florida to the Pacific. You'll need to seal that plywood with several coats of resin, and probably some sort of cloth or mat.
*Engine parts, and marine engines at that. There are big differences -- the starter motor and alternator, for example, each have mesh screens to keep sparks from igniting potential gas fumes in the bilge (a car vents gas fumes out the bottom into the air. Boats don't have that luxury).

All that said, if you love the boat, it's not rocket science. It's carpentry and mechanics and sometimes more money than you ever thought you'd put into it, but if you love the boat and do it right, it'll be around for the rest of your life.

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info,
I am drooling over the project as well I am gonna get started this week. But I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew- I'll find out soon enough.

The engines I am not to worried about, I have several friends that are aircraft and auto mechanics and it's sitting at the marina with mechanics onhand that contract themselves out all the time for stuff like this if it gets to complicated.

What has me a little intimidated at this point is the transom, stringers bulkheads and such. I knew I was gonna have to re do the deck but I was reAlly hoping once I got in there the core below would be ok, but I lost hope when I discovered termites. But I am not one to back off a challenging project so I made the offer and the deal yesterday.

Oh and as far as supplies, there is huge commercial fishing and boating economy here so I should be ok there, and if not I know people who can put it on a supply plane for me fairly easily.

Stay tuned I'll post more pictures asap and I'll be needing more advice- I don't take to kindly to failing so this boat has met it's match!

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice
Upon Further inspection....

Upon Further inspection....

I think i got a steal... (knocking on the wood i am going to have to replace)

I got a closer look at the inside and i think the stringers are ok... I am not sure about the Transom *see below* I definatly have to replace the deck and 1 stringer and some random wood here and there but all in all it doesnt look nearly as bad as i thought i t was going to. There is a little Fiberglass damage that shouldnt be too complicated, Ill post a few pictures...

But i do have a question, on the back end of the boat(IMG 0621), Its all fiberglass... no wood in there except the rotted piece that supports the step above it and there is a stringer running from there to the deck above the engine compartment that needs replaced. Is a fiberglass back end normal? or should i look lower down, but it appears EVerything is Encased in Fiberglass.

The second picture is the Fiberglass above that same section that i need to Fix, thats the only part of the Fiberglass that has any damage at all (pending the Stringers which i havent been able to access yet).

It would be so much easier if I could identify what boat make and year it is so i could get some schematics or something..... any suggestions on where to look, I am fairly certain its an early 70 sport sportman hardtop, but i cant find anything to verify that.

Attachments

• IMG_0621[1].jpg
    IMG_0621[1].jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0622[1].jpg
    IMG_0622[1].jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice

A few Quick Questions?

I am really getting into this thing now and i "think" most of the Stringers and transom are still good, They are Completely Glassed in and i cant find any holes or leaks. When i tap on them they sound Hollow as if there is no wood in there at all, I know some Hulls dont use wood in there, BUt i dont want to open them up to find out if i dont have to- Is there any way to be sure without drilling holes or Tearing them out? I really dont want to do that if i dont have to.

Question # 2, I already have to redo the deck and part of the fiberglass on the back end so i am prepared for that but if i want to make some modifications to the design, Such as Putting in a Rack for Scuba tanks or Adding a seat or 2 will it mess up the balance of the boat? Obviously i dont want to add a lot of weight but deck design as is- sucks! any advice?

jonesg

Admiral

Theres wood in there, drill a hole with a 1/4" bit and examine the chips.

Id say you're getting way ahead of yourself with the tank racks and seats.
Drill low down on the transom (between outdrives if possible) ,
and towards the rear with the stringers.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Theres wood in there, drill a hole with a 1/4" bit and examine the chips.

Id say you're getting way ahead of yourself with the tank racks and seats.
Drill low down on the transom (between outdrives if possible) ,
and towards the rear with the stringers.

From the INSIDE. Don't drill all the way through. Bad wood will be wet and black. No wood means a new transom.

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drill into the stringers too and check for wet or rotten wood. For all the holes, if it's good wood, fill the holes back up with 3M 5200 and that will keep the water out of your stringers and transom.

As far as the scuba rack and seats go, I'd guess that a 25 footer won't be knocked off kilter by a couple seats, but best way is to save it for last -- get the deck and the rest up to speed, then you'll be anxious to splash the boat anyway. Tear around a bit by yourself, then get some husky friends to stand where you want the scuba rack and seats then tear around some more and see if you notice a difference in handling.

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,
I do tend to get a head of myself, so I can plan for anything but if I have to replace the stringers and transom I bet I won't even care about seats and a tank rack. And I am anticipating some surprises.

I'll star drilling Monday and keep my fingers crossed.

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drill into the stringers too and check for wet or rotten wood. For all the holes, if it's good wood, fill the holes back up with 3M 5200.

Do most of you guys fill the holes back up with 5200 (assuming good wood)? I figured epoxy peanut butter would be the best choice, but I have no experience either way. I'll need to drill some exploratory holes soon also

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both should work fine. 5200 is just more convenient. You can get small tubes at WalMart. Squirt it in, level it off, then put the cap on the tube for next time.

Krfoote

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Newby Rebuild, Ambitious or insane?---Progress

Re: Newby Rebuild, Ambitious or insane?---Progress

ok, I am a little closer to actually finding out what it is after i got into it a bit i found a HIN, but its in japan so i still have no idea what year or model it is...

HIN: JP-MLIT0114728B

Your all smarter than me who can decode that?

I havent started any repairs yet but i did get into the cabin and see what needs replced and i was pleasantly surprised Most of the wood is still in good condition, (I dont like the color so i am going to replace some of it anyway, but all in all i am encouraged.

I have read that some stringers are designed to be hollow, I have no idea how to tell other than to drill into it, but when i knock on specific part of the string in the pictures shown It sounds totally hollow and not very strong, so i will probably have to do something to that section, If i eventually discover the holy grail in the form of an owners manual or some kind of scematics that say the stringers are supposed to be like that would you recommend putting wood in there anyway or just going with it the way it is?

Attachments

• DSC_0457.jpg
    DSC_0457.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0448.jpg
    DSC_0448.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0451.jpg
    DSC_0451.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0