Newbie to pontoon boats

Big Ron

Cadet
I just purchased new 2007 Avalon 22 ft. pontoon boat with a 115 hp Mercury four stroke.
I put it in the water for the first time yesterday.
It seems I may have a prop ventilation problem. When I get the motor revs a little above 4500 RPM the motor losses thrust and over revs. I tried adjusting the trim to different angles and it does the same thing. Does any one have any suggestions that may help me?

Re: Newbie to pontoon boats

yes make sure you have the motor all the way down, on a pontoon if you trim it up it will slip. B{Put the motor in the full down position and run it. If it still does it you need to have the engine lowered on the transom this will require that you take it to a dealer and have them do it.

If this is a used boat you need to check the prop, the center may be slipping.

Big Ron

Cadet

Everything is brand new. I will try what you suggested. Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If the engine is mounted all the way down on the transom, then you may want to try one of Mercs. double cupped props. They grab the water much better and are designed for toons. This is a common problem with toons due to the turbulant water the props run in...

Big Ron

Cadet

If the engine is mounted all the way down on the transom, then you may want to try one of Mercs. double cupped props. They grab the water much better and are designed for toons. This is a common problem with toons due to the turbulant water the props run in...

Thanks for the info. I will talk to the dealer about this also.