Newbie questions/confirmation on a fiberglass boat restore

rickryder

Commander
Re: Newbie questions/confirmation on a fiberglass boat restore

All in all the outside is not real bad looking at all.... Biggest things I saw was the hole in the keel,hole by transom plug and up at the bow..

All in all the outside is not real bad looking at all.... Biggest things I saw was the hole in the keel,hole by transom plug and up at the bow..

Yeah, that was what I was thinking also. There's plenty of spots for chip and scratch repair with gelcoat, but nothing 'else' structurally big that I could see.

I'm estimating there's about 6' of keel I'll tear out and rebuild in two different spots. There's a spot about 1/2 way back that sounds funny (different than the spots I think are good) when I tap it that I'm going to replace because it's better safe than sorry....

The entire transom will be pulled out and replaced - I'm just waiting to get the rest of the hull fixed first. I hope that will help keep some rigidity as I'm doing all this stuff. Then, once the transom is replaced I'll get started on stringers, foam, floor, etc.

The hole in the bow will get fixed very well. I plan to heavily glass that area as it just seems weaker than I'd expect for supporting the front eyelet. So, I'll double up on the glass I put there just so it's well re-enforced.

So, I've been working diligently on the boat and making good progress. Unfortunately, I made a dumb move and it's going to cost some time. I think it was Will Rogers who said "good judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement." Well, I cut off the outer skin of the transom as I was replacing it. Woodonglass has been kind enough to help out with how to fix it, but it's going to take a bit more time to make sure its right.

On a side note, the transom itself was about as wet-rotted as I've ever seen anything. It was slimy, literally fell onto the ground after the outer skin was off, etc. Nasty nasty stuff. I'll post some videos of that piece of the project as soon as they are uploaded. Here's a pic from last week with the stringers and supports sitting in place. They'll go in permanently once the transom is done as that's my point of origination for these. However, I'll most likely cut and glass the bottoms of 2 of the 3 floor pieces this weekend as I wait for the tools I need for the transom to show up.

Last edited: