Newbie questions/confirmation on a fiberglass boat restore

Hi everyone. I've been watching the forum for a few weeks, but this is my first post. This is also my first real boat. :D

I purchased a 1975 16' fiberglass boat along with a Evinrude 70hp motor. The boat needs some work, which I am starting now. The deck is rotten (it was unprotected plywood on top of the old rotted deck) and there's a small leak about 4' from the bow. The boat was set up as a hunting boat, which I plan to also use it as, but it causes some problems.

The biggest is the bow was used for storage (of wet items), but this left the foam between the deck and hull exposed. I am pulling it out currently, but the mold and gallons of water are pretty nasty as they've been there a while. I have a couple questions with this:
1) I plan to clean and reseal the interior hull. What is recommended as a sealant and a cleaner?
2) I plan to leave the bow open for storage, but am concerned about water getting back into the foam again (I expect that to happen if it's open). What is the best solution? Should I put some type of a seap drain (like a PVC pipe with holes in it for the water to drain through?) at the bottom when I replace the foam? Should I try to seal the bow section from the deck (if so, how do I do that and do I put a bilge pump in to pump out the water that will get in there?)?

The other part is the leak in the bottom. To put it in perspective, it looks like someone patched it with fiberglass previously. However, with the wet foam and gallons of water in the foam, it was leaking. The leak was about 1-2 cups of water per day. I could see where the hull appeared to look wet by the patch also. If I seal the inside and outside of the hull, will that fix it? Or, how do I test it to find out what I should do?

As far as the deck, the stringers look good so far, although I need to let them dry out before I am 100% confident. I believe once I get the hull cleaned and sealed, I should be able to replace the foam and install the deck. I plan to use MDO plywood (probably 1" thick) that I'll seal with some type of epoxy per instructions I've seen in many posts on this forum. I'll also use the same plywood to build out the storage and such. With this, however, I have a couple more questions:
1) I was planning to install seat pedestals after I put the deck down. How do I do that without creating another place for water to get into the plywood? Should I mark out the positions of the pedestals prior to installing the deck, put some type of support under the deck (like a stainless steel plate), leave bolts sticking through the top to attach the pedestals to, and seal everything up like that?
2) I am not planning to fiberglass the deck. I plan to only seal it. Is that going to cause me problems?

As I said, this is my first real boat. I've spent weeks reading the forums and various other materials and believe I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. As Will Rogers said: "Good judgement comes from experience...experience comes from bad judgement." I am hoping to get some experience from you so I do the right things with this rebuild. Thank you!!!

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Newbie questions/confirmation on a fiberglass boat restore

got any pictures? i have learned that when you see a little mold an water it seams to be everywhere. its what you cant see that creates the biggest headache. I my case i thought i just had a deck issue but the foam underneath ended up being completely stetted with water, once i got that out, then found rot in the stingers............and so on. What i have read is that the foam will never dry out, it all has to come out if it got saturated. Funny closed cell foam is not supposed to hold water, but i tell you i could squeeze water out of the foam like it was a sponge, weeks after it was exposed to sunlight. not trying to make you worry, it is a lot of work but fun and rewarding.

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Some things i also noted, i think you will regret not fiberglassing the deck, form what i have read this is a must but i would let others chime in

Friscobaoter has a great video on seat pedestals, he built separate wood bases, the seats screwed into he base but did not go through the deck. using 3m 5200 also help seal the screws when attaching.

IMG_0216.jpgIMG_0215.jpgIMG_0214.jpgIMG_0212.jpg
got any pictures? i have learned that when you see a little mold an water it seams to be everywhere. its what you cant see that creates the biggest headache. I my case i thought i just had a deck issue but the foam underneath ended up being completely stetted with water, once i got that out, then found rot in the stingers............and so on. What i have read is that the foam will never dry out, it all has to come out if it got saturated. Funny closed cell foam is not supposed to hold water, but i tell you i could squeeze water out of the foam like it was a sponge, weeks after it was exposed to sunlight. not trying to make you worry, it is a lot of work but fun and rewarding.

Attached are some pics. Two show the rotted floor/subfloor and two show the exposed hull (the foam is the brown stuff at the bottom of the picture.

I have a bit more torn out at this point, but it is all basically the same as this except the foam actually kept some of it's color instead of turning all brown.

This answers one of my other questions also. No matter what I do, I need to make sure the hull area is completely sealed so the foam cannot get wet.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you've done your homework you know you should core sample the stringers and the transom. Have you done that? With what I am seeing in the pics, I have serious doubts that the stringers and transom are in good shape. Your deck only needs to be a maximum of 3/4" thick and prolly 5/8" is suffficient. You, for sure, need to glass both bottom and top sides of the deck. Pedestals for the seats are no big deal but should be fabricated prior to the deck being installed. All the wet foam needs to be removed. It will not dry out. The old hand held carpenters saw works well or a long flexible blade on a sawzall. Make SURE to wear goggles and a GOOD respirator. The mold and dust are KILLERS!!!

If you've done your homework you know you should core sample the stringers and the transom. Have you done that? With what I am seeing in the pics, I have serious doubts that the stringers and transom are in good shape. Your deck only needs to be a maximum of 3/4" thick and prolly 5/8" is suffficient. You, for sure, need to glass both bottom and top sides of the deck. Pedestals for the seats are no big deal but should be fabricated prior to the deck being installed. All the wet foam needs to be removed. It will not dry out. The old hand held carpenters saw works well or a long flexible blade on a sawzall. Make SURE to wear goggles and a GOOD respirator. The mold and dust are KILLERS!!!

I was planning on doing the core samples and have the link saved where someone on this forum explains it. I haven't even started on that yet as I thought it best to first rip out all of the wet/rotted crap and get things dry. Thanks for the carpenter's saw idea. That'll be much easier than what I'm doing now.

As you can see from the pictures, there's quite a bit to tear out yet before I can really make a good judgement on it. I hope there's nothing wrong, but I'll know once it's dry and I can check it out properly.

That first link in your signature is one of the nicest I've seen yet on how to set everything up. Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member

He deny's being the originator, but look for WOG's transom clamps, you will want to use those for clamping the transom ply assembly onto the fiberglass outer skin of the transom.

The WOG clamps rule!

Imperial%2021JAN2012%20099.jpg

Imperial%2021JAN2012%20100.jpg

Imperial%2021JAN2012%20101.jpg

Imperial%2021JAN2012%20102.jpg

Imperial%2021JAN2012%20103.jpg

Imperial%2021JAN2012%20104.jpg

Bear was the last to use 'em, he was fond of em. Search WoodOnGlass's blue flamingo build thread for the way to make them. But you are a ways from that point. He's got lots of good stuff @ iBoats, so he should have about a dozen good links in his signature.

varns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im making a set of those clamps now as a matter of fact they look flawless

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have now included the clamp plans in the link with the drawings for the transom, stringers and deck. They are not my original design but I have made improvements by not using "All-Thread" any longer

Well, I have most of the foam and deck out and it is mostly dried. I drilled a couple of holes and the stringers are rotten (at least in the 3-4 places I drilled holes). The transom in back also needs replaced. I have a bit more work to do to get everything out and I'll post pictures. It looks like the previous owner attempted to fix a hole in the hull previously and simply did a bad job. I have some work cut out for me. I keep reading about guys who say they can knock a project like this out in a week, so I'm hopefully I can finish it up over weekends and have it done by May.

I'll probably take out the stringers and cross braces this weekend. Once those are out, I'll clean everything up on the inside and (hopefully) get started on new stringers and transom. I've read tons of information both ways about supporting the hull. Right now it is sitting in the trailer. Do I need to support/brace the hull (and if so, can I get a link to a good way to do it?)?

Prior to installing the stringers/transom, should I do anything to seal the interior or the hull after cleaning it? I'll also most likely have some questions about the previous patch job as I may need some experienced judgement on what to do there.

Wood - What size of wood were you using in your stringers? Was it just a 2x4/2x6? I figured I'd just use the old one as a template and buy the same kind to replace it.

Do any DFW locals know of any places in the Lewisville/Little Elm/Frisco area where I can purchase the components (cleaner, sealer, cloth, epoxy, etc) for a decent price? I've seen several postings of places on the web to purchase, but I'd rather buy local if they deserve my business.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How thick are your stringers? I'd really recommend using 3/4" Arauco Plywood from Lowe's for the stringers. Use Titebond III glue to laminate two pieces together to make em 1 1/2" thick if that's what you need. I'm pretty sure you're gunna have to order your glassin supplies. Not familiar with any DFW glass suppliers. www.USComposites.com will be your best bet.

rickryder

Commander

Just found your thread and it seems your headed in the right direction... You can build everything you need out of 5/8" and 3/4" plywood.
What is the hull sitting on? It needs support so it wont sag or bow.... I see you mentioned epoxy......not really needed poly will be just fine.... Look at my resto in the link below for some tips and ideas... I'll try to help ya out anyway I can! Good luck,be safe and have fun :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....welcome to iboats....

this is a full gut.......make no mistakes.....everything must come out.....so forget about drying the wood and foam.....that is a distraction.

just get out a big ol garbage can and dont stop ripping stuff out till its all hull.....clean, nice.

then the grinding starts.....scuffing the glass for the next step. this will only take an hour with the proper tools.

then .....take your fiberglass and fix the holes....forget epoxy....use poly....use 2 layers of csm....then alternate 1708 and csm for 2 layers....

get your wood now.....it has to dry before you can properly glass it......

building the transom, and bedding the stringers is the next segment....so the wood must be totally dry (the stuff you get from the store is not)

Well, the project is on hold for a bit due to some messed up ribs...figures. lol

I guess it's good. This will give me time to draw up the plans, figure out exactly what/how much I need in terms of supplies, cycle all that damn foam through the weekly trash pickup, draw up plans, let the wood dry, etc...

Yes, my glass is half full of liquid - just like my boat was when I tore it apart! :)

get your wood now.....it has to dry before you can properly glass it......

building the transom, and bedding the stringers is the next segment....so the wood must be totally dry (the stuff you get from the store is not)

How do I tell when it's dry enough to use?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

unless you have a moisture meter, its tough....
the wood from the store is usually about 50 % moisture...
marine grades of wood can be as low as 20%.
if you can get it to 30 or even 25% you will be good if you use the proper glassing techniques, the bond will be good.
(wetting out the wood with resin at 1.5 percent mekp, then waiting till tack....then glassing)

you can use the stuff right out of the store and get some kind of bond..(but not a very good one).. the dryer the wood the better the bond as the resin penetrates the dryer wood. the wood actually tries to drink the resin.

to dry the wood......get it home.....put it on a flat surface and stick a fan on it.....then flip the wood each day.

if you live in a really high humidity area....do your drying is a room with a de humidifier.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tagged this and look forward to seeing your project move forward. Pics Pics Pics... reading is ok but seeing photos makes it 100% better too. :)

ok...Lowes' doesn't sell MDO plywood. What are other options that I can use instead of MDO...or where can I purchase MDO?