Newbie alert. Tilt/trim question Help!

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
My paranoia is getting the best of me
I purchased an older bass boat 80s Nomber with a 1977 (I think 1977) Johnson Javelin 85 (85ETLR77S) which runs great. Boat is water worthy etc.

My fear is I do not see a power tilt motor and I think it’s supposed to be on the outside of the lower part vs newer boats having them inside.

I know the previous owner took it out many times to catfish if I am not trying to race but just get around on the lake should I be ok?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Do you have a button that makes the motor go up and down? If so, does the motor go up and down.

If no switch, you have a manual trim motor.

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
No button
I will take some pictures later it’s been raining
The seller said he left it where it is and just went. I know he used it
I just have this possibly irrational fear of flying off the boat in a wave or something.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Always wear a PFD, keep your lanyard attached, and take a safe boating course in person before you take the boat out.

How do you tilt the motor up when you put it on the trailer and drive down the road?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Back in those days, power trim was an extra option, where today it is far more common. For normal performance the manual trim is fine when you find the right spot. You can gain some performance by having power trim. It allows you to adjust while underway and can gain you 3-5 mph if you have the right prop. You need to figure out if your ever had power trim to start. Did someone remove it? did it go bad? Can you replace it with another, or are you stuck with the manual. There should not be any fear of the motor flying off, unless someone removed something that they shouldnt have. We cant see your motor to know....either pics or talk to a mechanic and be sure what you have or dont have..

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
first thank you all, like I said, I am still learning and appreciate any help.
Here are some pictures.
It looks like I have to manually lift the motor up
it is heavy I mean I'm a big boy and i lift weights and it's heavy
I think the shocks have gone bad...

FOLLOW UP: there is a piece hanging down, do I need to put that back behind that bar or is it ok to "dangle" like it is?

Attachments

• IMG-0019.jpg
    IMG-0019.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0018.jpg
    IMG-0018.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0017.jpg
    IMG-0017.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG-0015.jpg
    IMG-0015.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG-0013.jpg
    IMG-0013.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0011.jpg
    IMG-0011.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG-0006.jpg
    IMG-0006.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG-0010.jpg
    IMG-0010.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
The picture with the pin in the middle hole is how the previous owner used the boat/motor.
He never raised it to tow.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
According to the model # it had trim and tilt at one time.----Any pictures of the power head ?-----Model # the same on the engine block?

emoney

Commander
Looks like you have power trim in those pictures. Doesn't mean it's working, but those hydraulic cylinders are the clue.

briangcc

Commander
You sure about that? Because I don't see anything in those pics that shows its a manual tilt engine. I don't see a catch to lock onto that trim pin.

Seems very, very odd that trim cylinders would be in a manual tilt engine...at least from my experience.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those are NOT the power trim / tilt cylinders at all !!!!!----They are shock absorbers.---385532 is the number.

Last edited:

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
I started working on these motors well before that 1977 motor left the factory !
Should those shock absorbers assist when lifting or just absorb? It’s so heavy.

Also is it safe for that bar to hang down while boating or will it chip/damage the transom?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That bar should store / lock in the up position. -----It should not hang down.

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Part of the Travel Lock mechanism. #123
Evidently missing some parts (bolt and nut)

Attachments

• 123 Travellock.jpg
    123 Travellock.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 5

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
Nope-----It is a bar used to support the motor while tilted up and roaring down the road !!!!
I am getting a transom support today
Do you know are the shocks supposed to assist with motor lifting or are they just for shock on water?

airshot

Rear Admiral
I had a 79 Johnson 70 hp and it also had the shocks, not power trim or tilt. On that motor the shock assisted on lowering and raising the motor to the travel position. There was a small lever that had a position for up and a position for lower. When lowering the motor, I flipped the lever to lower and pushed the cover to the rear and the motor would just fall back under control so it didnt slame down on the transom. When tilting it up, it made the lift much easier by flipping that lever to the up position. I can only assume that lever changed the flow of oil in that cylinder as an assist. Never had an issue with it, so never got into how it worked....