Newbie - 1963 Starcraft 15' Restoration

midmichCC

Recruit
Hello,
I am new to this forum, but have read many posts in my attempt to identify my boat that I am looking to restore. The boat has been in the family for a long time, but it hasn't seen the water in several years and currently does not run.

I believe I have a 1963 Starcraft 15' Jet based on the model and serial number I found on the plate attached to the transom. In addition, it looks like a Jet based on pictures posted in within other threads (except someone destroyed the mount points for the rear bench, as you can see in the attached picture). However, the decals on each side of the back end say Vagabond.

Regardless, the plan is to bring it back to life as a lake cruiser. I already tore out the "custom" front seats and the green carpet to see what I am working with at the moment. The engine (40HP Evinrude Lark II) turned over, but never fired. I currently have the carb tore out for a cleaning / rebuild. While the floor and transom seem solid, I am sure the advice would be to remove it all and update it (in addition to check it for leaks). Maybe I am overthinking it, but what is the best way to remove the existing floor that is riveted? Furthermore, I'd like to add rear seating again, but I'm struggling with what to do since the mounting brackets have been hacked off with a grinder and it's not currently a flat floor.

Any and all advice, comments, and encouragement is welcomed!

Attachments

• 20190616_135518.jpg
    20190616_135518.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190623_144237.jpg
    20190623_144237.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

briangcc

Commander
IF it were me, I'd be pulling out the transom, floor and that sacrificial piece of ply between the motor and transom to redo it all. Piece of mind. A drill for the rivets will be handy.

As for restoring the rear bench seat....have you checked the big box home improvement stores for some aluminum angle/channel. I know Homely Despots carries aluminum angle and flat stock - could always remake the original and rivet back in place.

As for the floor not being flat...I wouldn't be overly concerned with it. Check through some of the current restos as there's one that used relief cut ply then redid with relief cut MDO to curve the floor to fit. But that green astroturf stuff has gotta go :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Looks like a fun project. A friend of mine has a little boat like that and it is a great boat to cruise around on small lakes.

While working on the restoration, be very careful with the windshield. I bet that would cost a pretty penny to replace, if you could even find a replacement.

63jet

Cadet
Hello there,

I'm currently restoring a '63 Jet as well. Im going with a flat floor, and i've used angle aluminum to accomplish that. I've always added an L bracket to the middle of the aluminum piece to help support the middle further. Check out my restore thread for some ideas.

Can't wait to see how yours comes along!

20220706_105932.jpg