Newb trailering = hull damage fears

Jamonit

Cadet
Look, I'm just getting acclimated to boating, and newbies make mistakes. I'll admit it.

Situation: I pulled my 16', 1998 center console Wellcraft fishing boat up onto my trailer, only to realize later (off the water and back in my driveway) that the driver side bunk board got "flipped over" in the process -- and the hull is resting on the aluminum cross bar / support strut.

I can send a photo, of course, but my question is simple: should I go down to the boat launch and float the boat off the screwed up bunk board, flip the bunk back over, and put the boat back on the trailer?

My concern is that plan doesn't provide me the opportunity to inspect the hull for damage. And, I suppose, if I've poked a hole in the hull, I'll be finding out the hard way -- by taking on water in the "floating off" process!

Any advice for an embarrassed newb boater?

Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get a hydraulic jack and a 2x4 and lift the boat by the keel

how can a bunk board "flip over"?

something not right with your trailer

chevymaher

Commander
this is what i did when I replaced the bunks. 4x4 short peice to a floor jack.

Attachments

• photo295555.jpg
    photo295555.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0

Jamonit

Cadet
Jacked the boat up off one side of the trailer and jammed some block and wood under the corner. This is what I found. The damage more toward the bow definitely needs a professional -- I'm not messing with fiberglass repairs. The damage toward the stern may be superficial enough to ignore.

Thoughts?

P.S. The bunk board had indeed "flipped over" and needed to be flipped back and the whole thing tightened down. Of course, I didn't get the angles exactly the same on the port side bunk board as on the starboard side -- and now when you look at the boat on the trailer from behind, one side is higher than the other. :: sigh :: At least it's all resting the way it should now...

Attachments

• photo318595.jpg
    photo318595.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • photo318596.jpg
    photo318596.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
easy repair, about 3 hours start to finish, and about a 6-pack of beer thru the process

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree, This IS not a Pro Needed repair. You can do it with minimum effort. Gather your supplies, start at 8:00 a.m. and be done for Lunch!!! It will look like a PRO did it when you're finished.;)