New year resolution

V8nuts

Cadet
Anybody else have any.. I want to get off my blood pressure meds by eating better and working out 3 times a week..

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: New year resolution

Quit dipping. Again. Permanently this time.
Nasty habit I picked up 30 years ago. Never any problems, but probably on borrowed time until something happens.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to keep mine to myself until accomplished.

gonefishie

Commander

Get back in shape. Will attempt to regain the physique I had in my 20's.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Quit dipping. Again. Permanently this time.
Nasty habit I picked up 30 years ago. Never any problems, but probably on borrowed time until something happens.

What does "dipping" mean?

I broke all mine by 11AM so I'm good for this year. :D

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

What does "dipping" mean?

Ahhhh. Not a Canadian term.
"Dipping" is the act of using a finer cut smokeless tobacco, like Skoal or Copenhagen.
"Chewing" or "chaw" is using the larger leaf tobacco, like Red Man. Chaw is what baseball players use that cause their cheek to bulge out like chipmunks and spit out gallons of salivia.

Both are nasty habits. Dip is extremely hard to quit for some, as it produces a quite high blood level of nicotine that is fairly constant over a period of hours. Nicotine gum and lozenges are useless, since they only replicate exactly what you're already doing with the smokeless tobacco in the first place.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ahhhh. Not a Canadian term.
"Dipping" is the act of using a finer cut smokeless tobacco, like Skoal or Copenhagen.
"Chewing" or "chaw" is using the larger leaf tobacco, like Red Man. Chaw is what baseball players use that cause their cheek to bulge out like chipmunks and spit out gallons of salivia.

Both are nasty habits. Dip is extremely hard to quit for some, as it produces a quite high blood level of nicotine that is fairly constant over a period of hours. Nicotine gum and lozenges are useless, since they only replicate exactly what you're already doing with the smokeless tobacco in the first place.

Ahhhh, thanks.

I quit smoking 6 years ago. Every year I note it on the calendar and celebrate it.

Good luck Whaler!!....its a toughy...but doable.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Ahhhh, thanks.

I quit smoking 6 years ago. Every year I note it on the calendar and celebrate it.

Good luck Whaler!!....its a toughy...but doable.

Thanks! I quit for over a year once, but stupidly went back to it. The key (for me) after much experimenting is patches and bubble gum. And willpower. The problem with that darn stuff is it's LEGAL and always available.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my grandmother dipped snuff, all her life, died at 99. but gosh what a nasty, smelly habit. having a dip jar in your purse.

my great grand dad, used chewing tobacco, he live with my great aunt and uncle. in 1958 the got a new car with air conditioning. the first ride he took in it, he spit tobacco juice all over the new window.

My Dad enjoyed his red man. He asked me to be sure that if he ever went to the hospital or nursing home to be sure he had some. I said I would. Then the day came and he broke his hip and there in the ER we talked about me bringing his pjs and socks and extra underwear over later and I had not forgot about the chewing tobacco. A few minutes later he died. He was 87 and as long as I was living he would have gotton his last chew.....sorry to side tract the post but it brought up this memory..