New Volvo 250 HP PY20

Connor#1955

Cadet
I have a 2022 Volvo 250hp sterndrive. I have been told that this new engine has a single stage oil pump and at start up the the oil pressure will be in the 100 to 110 psi range. After warm up it will drop to 65 to 80 psi. Has anyone had any experience with this or knowledge if this is correct? Do all single stage oil pumps increase the psi?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a 2022 Volvo 250hp sterndrive. I have been told that this new engine has a single stage oil pump and at start up the the oil pressure will be in the 100 to 110 psi range. After warm up it will drop to 65 to 80 psi. Has anyone had any experience with this or knowledge if this is correct? Do all single stage oil pumps increase the psi?
The oil pump is standard gerotor pump with a relief valve.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Specs should be in one of the booklet bags you got with your new boat. 100 psi is awfully high for a cold motor.

Connor#1955

Cadet
Couldn'tf find anything in the Volvo manual. Found coolant temp but no oil pressure. Can't find anything on the internet. I thought maybe someone else has this new 250 hp engine and it reads the same or lower psi. I'm assuming this has only been out for a short time. It took the place of the 240hp.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Couldn'tf find anything in the Volvo manual. Found coolant temp but no oil pressure. Can't find anything on the internet. I thought maybe someone else has this new 250 hp engine and it reads the same or lower psi. I'm assuming this has only been out for a short time. It took the place of the 240hp.

Ask the dealer you bought it from. Didn't it come with a boat attached?

Connor#1955

Cadet
Ask the dealer you bought it from. Didn't it come with a boat attached?
Yes, the Volvo did have a boat attached. The dealer received the info I have from Volvo. I'm just curious if anyone else has had experience with this engine or has any other info.

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I checked link 5 and found a lot of specs, but nothing about specific oil pressure reading.
Suggest reading through the following link. It explains the system, and objectives, pretty well. It doesn’t provide the specifications that are sought. I’ll see if these can be learned elsewhere. I did look at sensor parameters for VP’s Generation V V6-250-___-___ a few days back. There are low and high limits. Low is defined, high is not. I’ll post low later today after reviewing anew.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
more un-asked for complexity, that in the end, doesn't benefit much.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The reason given in the article is to save fuel. The amount 'saved' is likely not even measurable, especially on a marine engine. Boaters do better with simple inexpensive to repair engines. Sounds like the electronic thermsotat used on some Benz and BMW engines. A perfect way to take a simple device that works nearly forever with no trouble, and make it "better" and have more trouble. No thanks, I'll stick to the old school GM marine engines.

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The reason given in the article is to save fuel. The amount 'saved' is likely not even measurable, especially on a marine engine. Boaters do better with simple inexpensive to repair engines. Sounds like the electronic thermsotat used on some Benz and BMW engines. A perfect way to take a simple device that works nearly forever with no trouble, and make it "better" and have more trouble. No thanks, I'll stick to the old school GM marine engines.
Next step… imagine Cats and sensors for lawn mowers. The complexity added to everyday stuff is astonishing. I still remember the first time I learned a PCB was part of a plain, tried and true, natural gas water heater a couple of decades back… not so happy.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’m not ever giving up my 2 stroke yard equipment. Nothing is better for light weight good power and minimal maintenance.
I have:
Echo weed wacker, blower and hedge trimmer
Husqvarna chain saw
Toro single stage snow blower with Suzuki 2 stroke

Connor#1955

Cadet
Thanks Nashville and all. Seems like I'm getting more good info which seems to make sense with what I'm seeing from the Volvo. Still would like to hear from someone else with this engine and what they are actually seeing from their Volvo. Maybe I'm the only one in the United States with this new engine!!!!!

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Nashville and all. Seems like I'm getting more good info which seems to make sense with what I'm seeing from the Volvo. Still would like to hear from someone else with this engine and what they are actually seeing from their Volvo. Maybe I'm the only one in the United States with this new engine!!!!!
Based on bench testing, at approx. 4.8v the sensor alarms. This corresponds to about 112 PSI. Looking at other motors with this sensor and series of ECMs, that’s the high OP trigger. But, I don’t have specs. for your serial number so can’t be 100% certain. I’m with everyone else… OP seems high when cold. Perhaps look at two things, while not disbelieving the dealer’s statement, is oil level correct and correct weight? There are a variety of pressure control solenoids and also the cam phaser driven by OP, so… As to new and the only motor, it’s not new per se. It’s a G5, we’re at year six or seven IIRC and there are ample Cat versions in circulation. The novelty is no Cats in a time when Cats are standard. The extra 10 HP is the tune or Cat delete. Each of the G5 motors has two HP offerings. If you want the higher of the two, some $ paid and VP “unlocks” it. I do recommend reading and following the breakin procedure.

Connor#1955

Cadet
I realize that this engine has been around for awhile. I believe the designation 250HP is new as compared to the old 240HP and this new oil pump has been added.