New Vinyl and Helm Seats

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: New Vinyl and Helm Seats

Thanks for the pics, I am going to be going for a more updated look in mine as well. I have it gutted now and will be starting to replace all the wood soon. Yours looks great I hope I come close, when I get going on it I will post a thread.

Burg...

Looking forward to seeing it...I love the old Baja's...metal flake and all! What color(s) is yours? What size motor? I saw a real nice 1978 BR at Lake McConaughy (in Nebraska) a few years back...silver in color with a 200 Mariner it was in excellent shape. I also saw a baby blue metal flake 1983 on at Lake Meredith (in Ordway, CO) last summer...they had 150 Mariner and finally I say a tan and brown, 1980-1985? BR at Lake Meredith with a Johnson (150 if I remember?) the thing was it was set up more like a fishing boat than a ski boat! So, they are fairly common?

Here's some info from iboats.com:
1980 Baja Boats 180 BR

This Baja outboard runabout has a fiberglass hull, is 17.58 feet long and 89 inches wide at the widest point. The boat weighs approximately 1050 pounds with an empty fuel tank and without any gear or passengers. The maximum horsepower we have listed for this outboard boat is 160 hp . If repowering you will want to verify the max horsepower for safety and to make sure your insurance company will insure your boat. New engines are expensive so having the manual for your engine is a great investment.

Despite the fiberglass hull on this runabout, we recommend that the boat be kept dry and covered in order to preserve the value of the boat. Proper care and regular maintenance can help your craft stay nice and increase resale value. We have included some outboard engine information since a boat isn't much good without a good, reliable source of power.

Information on this page is provided to you as a free service of iboats.com. Because this information has come from many sources we can not guarantee its accuracy. Even if this information is the same as the original factory specs, boats are sometimes modified. Thus, for safety and other reasons, it is a good idea to verify information here to make sure it matches up with your boat. For additional information, we recommend the iboats forums and a boating safety course.

Burglary5%

Cadet

Boat.jpg
I dont know if this will work but I am attaching a pic of my boat Black and Grey with a 135 Johnson. I will be selling the johnson and picking up a 150 Mercury after the build is complete. I also like the placement of your ski pylon mine is right in the middle of the floor I think I might look at drilling it through the splashwell and shortening up the support arms. One other question I know our models are different but I think you said that you have a built in cooler in the bow, I was trying to figure out where to put one now I know, awesome. Did you put it there or was it factory?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

View attachment 130229
I dont know if this will work but I am attaching a pic of my boat Black and Grey with a 135 Johnson. I will be selling the johnson and picking up a 150 Mercury after the build is complete. I also like the placement of your ski pylon mine is right in the middle of the floor I think I might look at drilling it through the splashwell and shortening up the support arms. One other question I know our models are different but I think you said that you have a built in cooler in the bow, I was trying to figure out where to put one now I know, awesome. Did you put it there or was it factory?

I like the colors! The cooler is like a 24 quart igloo, they still make 'em. It is factory in mine...when I get a chance I'll snap a picture for you with the dimensions. As far as the ski pole goes, I really like mine; however, I was thinking of getting one of those stainless steel outboard guards/ski arch...
LIKE THIS:
AkiArch.jpg

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Ok, I just got the call from the sewing shop that my zipper foot is in, Yeah! I will now attempt to make my own piping (thanks for the videos/pics WOG and JDA!) I watch many videos on it on youtube and was not going to put any in (I wanted to get away from the piping look), but after installing all the panels, I have decided to do so...The panels are bolted onto the gunwales and the sides and because of the stapled vinyl it will not lay 100% against the gel-coat. (see attached drawing) so to keep the water from getting back there and saturating all the wood foam, piping will act like a "bead" of caulk so to speak...I'll take some video of the process and before and after.

Gunwalecut-away.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

after you make the piping, staple it on, it will be hidden, no reason to sew it on....the small adjustable zipper foot worked well for me, but the static zipper did not, not sure which you purchased. when you staple the piping, staple it with a piece of cardboard strip to help hold it, for lack of a better term, erect...I think the piping will give your current excellent job, that last little finished touch it needs! good call

Burglary5%

Cadet

That will look great. Im not going to lie and I cant even believe i'm thinking, I cant wait to get the building process done so I can learn to sew.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm a Girly Mon a Girly Mon.... I like to SEW!!!! Wow if my friends in High School could hear me NOW!!!!!!!!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

after you make the piping, staple it on, it will be hidden, no reason to sew it on....the small adjustable zipper foot worked well for me, but the static zipper did not, not sure which you purchased. when you staple the piping, staple it with a piece of cardboard strip to help hold it, for lack of a better term, erect...I think the piping will give your current excellent job, that last little finished touch it needs! good call

I will be stapling it to the back of the panel on top of my new covers...I don't think I'll be using cardboard to keep it erect, I understand what you're saying...but once it's stapled then re-bolted to the gunwale/side it should lift out based the tightening of the panel retaining bolts? That and I cannot think of any good reason to put something hydrophilic in an area that is very likely to get wet when people get in the boat?

64osby

Admiral

I'm a Girly Mon a Girly Mon.... I like to SEW!!!! Wow if my friends in High School could hear me NOW!!!!!!!!

LMAO - I know if something other then clothes / hems needs sewing at our house, I'll be doing it. But not on my wife's machine.