New (to me) Cruise Liner III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up a 1966 Cruise Liner III with a slant six and a Vulvo outdrive - neat old boat.

Lonestar2.jpg

Hope I didn't make a bad investment.

patgizz

Cadet
Re: New (to me) Cruise Liner III

very nice, do you have more pictures?

i just brought home a 1966 cruiseliner yesterday and it needs some work and pictures of a nice complete boat like yours are both motivating and help me figure out if any pieces are missing.

Ags8th

Recruit

I love what you've done to the boat. As a kid, we had a 1968 Cruiseliner III with twin 50hp outboard Mercs. Amazing the speed at which those two little guys could move this boat. My favorite part of the boat were the upper canvas bunks.

Once when I was 16, I had taken the boat for a weekend and anchored in ~ 2' of water. Imagine my surprise when waking up and finding the cabin filled with water and her sitting on the bottom due to a small hairline crack in the keel seam.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was a BUSY winter last year, doing a major re-fit on the Lonestar - moved batteries forward, moved fridge forward (to improve centre of gravity), replaced the helm (the old one was a mess!), re-wire (fire hazard!), extended hardtop, water system, new canvas, and Gluvit the keel! (Details on my web page.)

The boat had leaked as long as I had it and the bilge pump would run every couple of hours. I found "the spine" had been broken just aft of the bow and been welded but there were some gaps between the hull and the keen as a result of the damage. Scratching out a 2 gallon pail of silicon and 30 pounds of fibreglass (where someone had tried to stem the leaks from the inside!) and giving the keel a coat of Gluvit on the outside completely sealed the hull - it doesn't leak a DROP any more!

When I launched in early June, it didn't run worth ####! :( I had problems with the cooling system not picking up and the engine ran worse than ever. I found a worn-through section of vacuum hose (where 2" of the bottom of the hose was MISSING!) and that the compression was all over the map! I don't think the poor thing had the tappets since 1970! It was mid July before I got the head pulled, the valves done, and got it back together but it now runs like a Swiss watch ..... well, okay, a noisy one! (But it is 1966 with solid lifters LOL!) .... but it runs well and I trust it now.

This winter there is only a short list of "clean up items" and repaint the hull in the spring. I have the boat I always wanted!

IMG_20110611_135110.jpg

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have the boat I want, too! Great work on it as well as the Sylvan. I really enjoyed your restore website.

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

DianneB
Thats a good looking boat.
You've done a very good job.
Steve A W

RBrian

Recruit
Hello everyone. First time poster. But the boat has been here a while. Just purchased this boat at auction. You may remember that DianneB did the restoration in 2010-2011. Dianne passed away last summer. This boat was up for auction last fall, then again this summer. I'm the new owner. I have read all of Dianne's posts here, and I am trying to get more info about the boat and its restoration. The photobucket links are dead. So is her website. Anyone with info, or stories or photos of this boat and its restoration would be greatly appreciated. My new thread - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...opics/10881850-introductions-not-needed-sorta

Attachments

• photo332440.jpg
    photo332440.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.