New to Inflatibles and New to boating..Under $500?

dilan_414

Cadet
Re: New to Inflatibles and New to boating..Under $500?

Its better with an inflatable keel. Considering that a 35lb elec motor is made to slowly troll a keel will make u glide easier on water and probably give you more speed. If your going for a cheaper inflatable i hope you will be careful for rocks and sand which can tear the fabric easily.

Ocean Man

Cadet

Ok so i think im going to order the Sea Eagle ii For now with the 35lb motor should move fine. The beaches out here have soft sand and only pebbles on the beaches, nothing rough at all. I do probable plan of getting something better next summer. But with only a few more weeks left of summer out here i will have to time to go and look at some of these inflatables. I hope somewhere local has them.

Intex Sea Eagle-
-
Intex Mariner 4- Constructed from Intex?s? three-ply super tough vinyl. Two outer layers of heavy-gauge PVC are laminated to an inner layer of polyester mesh.
26 Gauge
Weight Capacity 700 lbs
Dimentions- 117" x 50" x 18"
weights- 42lbs
Inflatable floor

or should i get Mariner ?
-
Intex Mariner 4- Constructed from Intex?s? three-ply super tough vinyl. Two outer layers of heavy-gauge PVC are laminated to an inner layer of polyester mesh.
26 Gauge
Weight Capacity 880 lbs
4 Person - Inflated Dimensions: 129" x 57" x 19"
Weight- 80 Lbs
4 Air Chambers
Also comes with Heavy-duty extruded plastic hard floor

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so i think im going to order the Sea Eagle ii For now with the 35lb motor should move fine. The beaches out here have soft sand and only pebbles on the beaches, nothing rough at all. I do probable plan of getting something better next summer. But with only a few more weeks left of summer out here i will have to time to go and look at some of these inflatables. I hope somewhere local has them.

Is there anyone in your local area that might rent one? This way you get a real good look at the performance of these paddle-around boats. There is a huge difference between something that is sea-worthy/capable and something that is meant to be used for paddling and goofing about in calm water. With a rental you can save yourself some money by not investing in something which may be scraped, or upgraded later on.

In my eyes - if it's a disposable item and you are not worried about upgrading - go for it. However, if you're spending like 500 +++ invest in betterequipment.

Cheers,

CapeAnn

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Plainly in agreement, invest in one of better construction and seaworthy, does not have to be big, match the cheapo size you are looking for. Why buy, experiment, disappoint, buy again...buy once and boat happily.

Happy Boating

dilan_414

Cadet

Its a cheap dinghy but at least looks like more quality than a seahawk or anything like that. You will get the stability you need and have the comfort of a real dinghy. The inflatable keel is a must! if your planning on standing and fishing this will probably do the job way better then cheap toys. If the specs written on the add are genuine then this must be the appropriate boat for what you plan on doing

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Certainly better. Could not find information about a warranty other than the generic EBAY disclaimer.

FYI - summer sale at Defender on inflatables. This is a very reputable and large dealer + they've got some killer deals on inflatables roughly the same size as yours for near the same price point.
http://www.defender.com//inflatables-price-list.html

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That looks like it might work for you. Just don't count on any warranty support should you have an issue.

Ocean Man

Cadet

Thanks for the Defender site im looking into a few of the boats there. Only problem is i am worried my electric motor will not move anything. Im really not trying to 'get a gas motor since i have no way to transport it and i really didnt want to have to buy 2 motors and hope it move : /.....

Also where do i get batteries from for the trolling motor and what chargers do you all recommend ?

dilan_414

Cadet

The 35lb motor will move your rib... not fast obviously but if your planning on using it on calm water it will be awesome for trolling. The ideal battery is a marine grade 12v deep cycle battery (I use one with my 30lb trolling motor) it was hooked u to a 10ft fiberglass jonboat and moved just fine. Try to make sure the battery is sealed. A sealed battery is entirely water proof and doesn't need to be refiled or anything and will resist if you ever drop it in water.(The battery I used came from a local battery pro shop) I used a normal battery charger, basically u just plug it in the wall and hook up +and- to your battery polls. works just fine. got it cheap from a canadiantire ( also available in any surface store). I recommend that you don't rely on only one battery. (I once went to far with only one and had to row back to shore) another great thing to buy to prevent missing battery is a minn kota battery level meter just hook it up to your battery and you can see how much power is left.

Ocean Man

Cadet

Hey all im now looking into some motors (used) but im really usnsure as to what im looking for when i go see them?
Im going to probable end up getting a Zodiac, right now i am looking at a 2003 3.3 Merc and a 5hp merc and 10hp not sure who makes its. I have decided if im going to have a motor it may as well be gas. Plus then i can go further faster and the Zodiac can handle it.

Thanks for all your help so far !

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

What size sib do you plan to purchase, and which type of floor, wooden, aluminum, air deck ? Mercs are made in Japan by Tohatsu, probably slight cheaper a matter to inquire. Definitely a gas engine will take you farther and faster than a bat engine.

Happy Boating

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all im now looking into some motors (used) but im really usnsure as to what im looking for when i go see them?
Im going to probable end up getting a Zodiac, right now i am looking at a 2003 3.3 Merc and a 5hp merc and 10hp not sure who makes its. I have decided if im going to have a motor it may as well be gas. Plus then i can go further faster and the Zodiac can handle it.

Thanks for all your help so far !

Cool! Not sure which size Zodiac you're looking at - but it should state a max horsepower as well as max transom weight. Also, the end of the boating season brings up a lot of sales on all these 'summer' items. I use a Tohatsu (Mercury/Nissan) 15 hp four stroke to push a 11' foot hypalon Merc. inflatable. I went for max horsepower as this boat will go in sometimes choppy water. I have friends who have used 6 hp (quite versatile/lightweight), 9.8 etc. Of course, the heavier you go (boat/motor) - the more of a hassle it will be to move from place to place...which could ultimately require a trailer. :eek:

Best,

CapeAnn

djhills

Recruit

I didn't finish reading all the bashing being done. However as a avid inflatable owner/boater I thought this would be a good time to put in my 2 cents worth.

I owned and ran an Intex Seahawk 500 for several years. I would load me, a standard Minn Kotta 30lb thrust trolling motor on the intex motor bracket, A 12v deepcycle battery, 2 poles, a tacklebox and a lifejacket on board and go fishing on Lake Washington very regularly. I was even out a several times during sockeye season and I never once had a problem with the boat. I would pull it up onto the rocky shores still loaded of small lakes after a day of fishing. I think I got 1 puncture in the floor air chamber once but even that wasn't very big and wasn't really even worth worrying about. I've never felt in any danger at being 280lbs by myself plus all my gear, and a cooler with lunch/drinks from time to time out on the lake. Unfortunately I have lost that boat due to financial issues.

I recently grabbed a ditched by a garbage can 4man super caravelle and you can bet i'll be checking it for leaks soon and headin right back out on those big bodies of water with everyone staring at me like i've got a death wish but ya know... its REALLY relaxing being out there on a low powered boat like that. And if i find a small gas kicker motor i'll probably mount that up and head out with it.

Basically what im saying here is if you want to head out and completely thrash a boat you shouldn't be looking into inflatables to begin with... get a solid boat that will take that sort of abuse. But if you want the flexibility to head out big waters or small without much weight or cash... Get a Name brand inflatable thats slightly bigger then what you think you'll need and pay attention to what your doing. If nothing else spend $150 and use that till you can afford that $3k solid large boat to thrash on.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

What is nice about inflatables is the light weight/less HP ratio which everybody loves, you can't do that on same solid traditional boats as you will need a trailer, where to keep it, a bigger engine which guzzles more gas and more maintenance issues and worst in this cracy worldwide economy.

Happy Boating

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I didn't finish reading all the bashing being done. However as a avid inflatable owner/boater I thought this would be a good time to put in my 2 cents worth.

I owned and ran an Intex Seahawk 500 for several years. I would load me, a standard Minn Kotta 30lb thrust trolling motor on the intex motor bracket, A 12v deepcycle battery, 2 poles, a tacklebox and a lifejacket on board and go fishing on Lake Washington very regularly. I was even out a several times during sockeye season and I never once had a problem with the boat. I would pull it up onto the rocky shores still loaded of small lakes after a day of fishing. I think I got 1 puncture in the floor air chamber once but even that wasn't very big and wasn't really even worth worrying about. I've never felt in any danger at being 280lbs by myself plus all my gear, and a cooler with lunch/drinks from time to time out on the lake. Unfortunately I have lost that boat due to financial issues.

I recently grabbed a ditched by a garbage can 4man super caravelle and you can bet i'll be checking it for leaks soon and headin right back out on those big bodies of water with everyone staring at me like i've got a death wish but ya know... its REALLY relaxing being out there on a low powered boat like that. And if i find a small gas kicker motor i'll probably mount that up and head out with it.

Basically what im saying here is if you want to head out and completely thrash a boat you shouldn't be looking into inflatables to begin with... get a solid boat that will take that sort of abuse. But if you want the flexibility to head out big waters or small without much weight or cash... Get a Name brand inflatable thats slightly bigger then what you think you'll need and pay attention to what your doing. If nothing else spend $150 and use that till you can afford that $3k solid large boat to thrash on.

Not sure whose posts you interpreted as bashing, but if they were mine perhaps I failed to adequately convey my thoughts. In the back of my garage is one of the inflatables OM was considering. It's a fine little boat, and I've had fun in it, but it's basically a pool toy. It's safe for lazy floats down class one rivers and knocking around in small lakes and that's about it. I quickly learned it wasn't up to the kinds of float trips I wanted to take so I upgraded to an old hypalon rig that would support a frame and thereby accomodate multi-day floats. I'm glad you got such good use out of yours, but the fact is you beat the odds. It wasn't my intention to bash value priced inflatables, but rather to emphasize the fact that one gets what one pays for. To advise otherwise is irresponsible.

Ocean Man

Cadet

I have recently started to find some nice setups that have caught my interest. Does anyone know about Bombard AX2 ? How small is it ? Also getting a 4hp Ob. Im also looking at some 10hp motors. I was in a 15' carolina the other day with a 25hp johnson w/ 3 adult men+ gear we couldnt get the boat to plane. But now that i really got to experience some smaller boating on water im all out getting a motor and running a 40lb pound thrust. I keep finding Inflatable on craigslist but people are asking for the same price as they paid for.

Right now im looking at this boat also http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|216220|295555&id=1649498
and in the 10' version. Im unsure if 4 adults could really fit in here. It will mostly be 2 adults in it.

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have recently started to find some nice setups that have caught my interest. Does anyone know about Bombard AX2 ? How small is it ? Also getting a 4hp Ob. Im also looking at some 10hp motors. I was in a 15' carolina the other day with a 25hp johnson w/ 3 adult men+ gear we couldnt get the boat to plane. But now that i really got to experience some smaller boating on water im all out getting a motor and running a 40lb pound thrust. I keep finding Inflatable on craigslist but people are asking for the same price as they paid for.

Right now im looking at this boat also http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|216220|295555&id=1649498
and in the 10' version. Im unsure if 4 adults could really fit in here. It will mostly be 2 adults in it.

That's a great price. Personally, fitting 4 adults (plus operator) in a 11 footer IMO is a little tight for distance cruising. An 11' easily accommodates three adults + a kid, or two. If you are pushing a fair amount of people around you will need more than a 4 HP OB. It would struggle bigtime. A 9.8 hp Nissan 4 stroke weighs something like 90 lbs, is still easy enough for one strong guy to handle + can push a heavier load...not sure about whether it would plane with several adults though.

Best,

CapeAnn

Ocean Man

Cadet

Hey all i need your help Im looking to get a 98 Bombard AX2 with a 98 Mercury 4HP outboard i bought it from the guy for $900 Is that a good price? I will take pictures when i pick it up. Its something to get me thru the next couple of months im dying to fish in the bay with other friend. Also putting in an order for a 11+ Zodiac and spending the winter looking locally for a 25 hp :).

Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You'll be overpowering a Zodiac in the 11" + size with a 25 horse, those are for 15-18 horses.

Happy Boating