New to forum, new to boating...

cpcharb

Cadet
Hi all, I just bought a 1982 Bayliner Capri 17' with a Volvo Penta. I don't know a ton about boats or boating, and bought this boat because it was inexpensive. Now with all that said, I know there are a ton of expenses in boating but I do consider myself a fairly handy person, so I intend on doing most things myself. I just figured I'd say hi, here are a few pictures of my project. I know it's not exactly pretty on the inside, but I figure I can do the upholstery myself. I've seen some pretty crazy projects on here, and don't think I'll go to that extreme, but who knows, maybe with some time, I will.

I've been trying to find some more information on the boat, because I don't have the boat in my possession just yet, so bare with me as I ask these probably very newb type questions.

Am I crazy?
It needs a new prop, can I tell what type of prop with just the year make and model and engine type?
Are there any DIY seat upholstery forums?
Guy I bought it off of didn't have the drain plug, are those pretty standard to get?
Outdrive is really slow coming up, any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Last question I swear, and all you moderators can tell me to search search search.. I know... I am doing that too!! But, what would cause the starter to not engage from the keyswitch? Currently needs to be jumped from the starter.:facepalm:

Thanks, and I hope I can get in running shape to at least enjoy it once or twice this year, and then really start making it pretty... if it's worth it.

Chris
288518_10150283247341698_513721697_7568417_2908683_o.jpg288693_10150283438166698_513721697_7570430_6125737_o.jpg291512_10150283437386698_513721697_7570415_8305749_o.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to forum, new to boating...

Welcome aboard Chris!!

1st tip is you need to post each question you have in the individual sections. They all deserve specific attention; lumped together will make it confusing. With that said, here is an attempt at a couple for you.

Am I crazy?
It needs a new prop, can I tell what type of prop with just the year make and model and engine type?
No. You need specific data from your specific boat and load to make propeller decisions. Read the stickies at the top of the Prop section and that will help you.

Are there any DIY seat upholstery forums?
Try this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=379388

Guy I bought it off of didn't have the drain plug, are those pretty standard to get?
Very standard. Even at Wallyworld.

Outdrive is really slow coming up, any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Post this one in the Volvo section. Could be normal though.

But, what would cause the starter to not engage from the keyswitch? Currently needs to be jumped from the starter.
You need to troubleshoot this one. See if we get some more hits here, if not also try in Volvo section.

Am I crazy?
Dunno yet . . . :D

Good luck!!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

First off Congrats! and Welcome to the site!

No you cannot tell what the prop is by make and model, they will vary on several factors, Motor, outdrive even your elevation can play a factor on the correct prop for you.

Look at the restoration section here on the site I'm sure you will get the information your looking for.

Drain plugs are a standard size and you can get them here on iboats.
http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac...-**********.533425543--submit.x.0--submit.y.0

Outdrive coming up slow could be a few things, I'm betting your rams are in need of replacement due to age but try posting that in the volvo section.

Your starter issue could also be a few things I would replace it too since they are not to expensive and will leave you stranded but again I would post your question in the volvo section

Boats are almost never worth the effort if were talking specifically financially, the payoff with boats is enjoying the water and the experience with friends!

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome on Chris. I'm just adding one thing - When you get rolling on your starter, look at having it rebuilt. It's considerably cheaper than buying a replacement marine starter, and you should be able to find a local parts store or electric motor service that can do that for you.

Enjoy!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

QC Edited his post to copy mine, he should buy beer!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I almost posted a lol last night when I saw your post, great minds . . . I think it is you that owes me a beer ;)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I ALWAYS HAVE TO BUY!!

This site is in big need of written etiquette, abuse by the Mods should be rule number 1!!:D

cpcharb

Cadet

Thanks for all the info I'll be posting more pics and such as I go. I've already found tons of good threads that will help me. Got the boat home last night, and first funny story is my wife sitting on the engine cover letting the kids check it out, and I guess I managed to bring home some tiny red ants as well... fast forward about 20 minutes, and she is sitting in a chair in the house, and all of a sudden starts getting these bites, then strips down and runs to the shower... must have been 50 red ants all over her and in the shower drain after... She was already leary about going on the boat, this probably wont help, but I suppose it will give me more quiet time on it while I'm working some things out.

pbgeneral

Seaman

Haha, your first boating adventure, even if it was in the driveway? Welcome to I boats.

Maclin

Admiral

Welcome aboard!

Carpenter ants can eat a boat's wood faster than any kind of rot. They are not usually red, but they have red tinting on some of their different classes of workers. The workers that guard the nests are mean and bite. Look the boat over on the inside real well if you think the ants came along with it. If you notice some mud like debris in the corners look some more, you may see some colonies and maybe scouts. They like slightly damp wood, especially plywood for some reason, and make their nests inside it, swelling it up.

I am not an ant expert, just a victim. I hope your boat is clear of this type of infestation.

LX Kid

Ensign

I reread your post a couple of times and was wondering if the engine runs? (If it does, don't forget to put water on the foot to keep it cool.) Can you post a couple of pics of the engine and outdrive? On the tilt trim problem, check fluid in pump and make sure your battery is charged up and "is" a good battery. Corrosion on connections and battery terminals is also a consideration. Welcome aboard and you'll find a lot of friendly help here!

MOST OF US HERE ON THE FORUM JUST LOVE LOTS OF PICTURES.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never ceases to amaze me about the knowledge to be obtained here. I spent 15 years on a 103 meter iron tub but have miniml knowledge of the small boat world. Sure I have had a couple but they were junk to start with and I was young and foolish. I guess when you hit 45 and realize you are not bullet proof you actually step up and listen to those that know.

Not meant to hijack a thread but thank you guys for helping out as you do!!!

cpcharb

Cadet

IMG_0340[1].jpgIMG_0338[1].jpgIMG_0339[1].jpgIMG_0337[1].jpg

Yes the engine runs, the big wild card question is whether or not the prop turns... I'm going to attempt to check that today. If that works, then I'll have a new prop, and then put her in the water and find out what other problems I can find :)

They were not carpenter ants, just tiny little red ants that like to bite and be a nuisance.

Not sure what I am going to do, there are a few weak spots in the floor, so this winter I may redo the whole floor... maybe. First boat, just looking to learn the ropes, not really sure of the plans.

I can't tell if I have a short or long hub for the prop though, if anyone can enlighten me that'd be awesome.

Thanks.

cpcharb

Cadet

Just posted in the Volvo thread, but figured I'd double up here in hopes for a quick response. How many cables should come off the throttle lever? 2 or 3? I have 2, looks like both are throttle, one for fwd, one for reverse... however, there is no third cable to engage?? Should there be, does the drive engage electrically? Doubtful, but I don't know a ton, and if there needs to be a third cable... where does it go. Sorry for the newb questions, but I just don't know enough yet.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the forums!! You should post up something in the restoration forum. Lot of great info there... Here's a link to somethign I'm finding very helpful in my upholstery -- http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=499360

Also, the other poster in that thread, woodonglass, if you look at his "my flamingo" thread, there is some great information on sewing. Just make sure you have a big enough machine.. it's not as easy as one would expect. Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress :D

PS -- I'd be a lot more concerned about rot before seating... take core sampes of the deck, transom and stringers by drilling into them and assessing the quality of the shavings... light and dry is good.. wet and dark... needs to go... Good luck.. I'll hope for dry for you!

cpcharb

Cadet

Well I got an answer to the throttle/shift cable question, however, now I have to figure out why it won't engage. Glad I am figuring this all out before I decide to attempt to get myself stranded in the water.