New to boating

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I've been lurking this forum and learning for a while but just now got to posting. I just received my first boat. It's a 19' i/o drive trihull 1971 thunderbird 190.

The fiberglass hull and everything sees to be in good working order. Im very new to boating and I have been doing tons of research. I have a few questions,

Before I take it on the water I want to inspect the stringers. the previous owner told me that everything inside the hull was fine but I want to take a look. This boat and trailer was basically given to me by my neighbor because its been sitting for a decade so. I want to make sure its sea worthy.

Is there a way to get under there and look without removing the flooring?

What are the repercussions of going on a lake with bad stringers and/or a rotten transom?

Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: New to boating

First of all welcome to iBoats; lots of informations here.

Just being a little 'dark' for a moment . . if the boat has been sitting for a decade or so, and of that age, then there may be rot in the structure. Start by checking the floor and in the engine compartment. Use a screw driver or ice pick and see if you can poke into anything.

If the floor is soft, then there is probably rot below. If the hull had standing water in it, then there is probably rot below.

The ramifications of using a boat with a rotted structure or transom is failure of the hull and sinking of the boat. So, have your PFD's on and keep your valuables ashore.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....again...welcome to iboats.

the only way to inspect the hull for waterlogging with out ripping the deck is to use a moisture meter.
not the kind you stick in wood....but the kind that a home inspector uses looking for rot behind a wall.

without one.....its really hard to tell.....sometimes there is signs....sometimes there isnt.

one way....is to drain the gas tank.....and take everything out of the boat......then take it to the weigh scales and weigh it.
if you are 100 lbs over....you have a waterlogged hull and chances are good there is rot.

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips. The floor everywhere is a bit squishy, but I dont know what a good and nonrotted deck feels like. When I walk across the boat should it have the consistency of a house' hardwood floor or carpet? Does it have a little squish to it at all?

Also, When you mean an ice pick or screw driver, you mean I should just drill a small hole and poke it through to see if it goes all the way through?

Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well that doesn't sound good so far. However, if the deck is 1/2" ply, it may be a tad "springy" especially if it's delaminated from the stringers a bit in places. However, "soft" is just bad. It would be rare for a fiberglass boat that's been left out exposed to the elements for a number of years to not be rotted out. What motor and drive does this boat have? If it's an OMC, you may want to think hard before putting any money into it.

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks for the tips. The floor everywhere is a bit squishy, but I dont know what a good and nonrotted deck feels like. When I walk across the boat should it have the consistency of a house' hardwood floor or carpet? Does it have a little squish to it at all?

Also, When you mean an ice pick or screw driver, you mean I should just drill a small hole and poke it through to see if it goes all the way through?

Thanks!

You won't need a drill. . . If you poke at areas of the structure and the pick or screw driver goes right through, then you have found something. If you do find 'something', then you might drill some test holes to see where things are good and where they are not so good.

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This boat has a GMC inline 6cyl motor and a Mercuiser outdrive. The previous owner swapped the motor for a motor out of a truck and rebuilt it. Is there a problem with that? He said mercruiser used the same motor. He said he replaced the head gasket with a brass or copper one instead of a steel for the ocean.

He said about a weeks worth of putting it together as the outdrive is off and the interior needs reupholstering and recarpeting.

Should I scrap it for parts and get another one? or is this a good starter boat for learning?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The Mercruiser inline-6 is a good driveline. That's a plus. Whether the boat is worth restoring is up to you. If it needs stringers and transom, it's a large job, and the materials aren't particularly cheap. However, if done properly following the advice you receive here, the boat will be better built than it was from the factory. You will not likely recoup your investment in materials, let alone time, if you sell so only proceed if you like the boat and want to run it a while. Tri-hulls are particularly dated looking so even a mint condition one is going to top out at a lower selling price than a comparable V hull.

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats good that the merc outdrive is not a loser. I might piece it out and sell it.

option 2 is to get it sea ready without replacing the stringers and chancing my luck.

It will cost me around a grand to get it on the water without replacing the stringers. If I replace the stringers it will cost me around 3-4 grand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Insurance will cost me ~$400/year for this boat. Progressive will pay me $1-2k if my boat sinks, recouping my losses. Will they pay a claim if the stringers are rotten? Does that fall under maintenance?

If something were to happen after replacing the stringers I wouldn't be able to recoup my losses.

After doing a lot of research, now I want a different boat. I guess this is the way it starts...another hobby!

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

welcome to Iboats :) your going to have a great time! but once you enter you cannot leave until your project is complete! JOKE~

How i did the inspection on mine, i went to Harbor freights (or northern tool whichever is closest to you) i bought a Hole saw for about 3 bucks! hooked it up to a drill and drilled a few 2 inch holes.. saw wet foam and water and realized what i had to do .
Good luck and hope you end up turning her into a beut.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

After doing a lot of research, now I want a different boat. I guess this is the way it starts...another hobby!

If you're looking to get on the water cheaply, look for an aluminum hull with an outboard. Aluminum hulls have aluminum stringers and even if the deck and transom are rotted, they can be replaced fairly easily.

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

after a little thought, I decided to fix it up to new/better than new working condition and play with it on the water. If i screw it up too bad I wont be upset. a 19 foot cheap boat would be a good starter boat.

There is some soft spots in the middle of the boat and the ski tow hooks in the back are very spongy. I'm sure its all rotten. Ah well. Dissecting her open this weekend to see how much I need to replace.