New to boating Need help

cumin@you

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
3
I am new to boating and have found what seems to be a nice boat. The motor is a 98 2 stroke 120hp Force. The seller said the motor will start to heat up if it is idling (but not if the boat is underway) for over 15mins and said this is normal for all two strokes. I don?t know anything about two strokes and was wondering if this is normal? I also plan on doing a compression test on the motor and was wondering what a good reading would be?

Thanks in Advance to ALL who help :)
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: New to boating Need help

Look for similar sparkplug deposits. Ideal depoaits are dark brown and damp-looking. I would hope for compression in the 120s. Most important that all readings are within 10%-15% comparing highest to lowest. It shouldn't overheat at idle. It might need the water pump rebuilt. Also, there is a place right behind the water pump that needs RTV sealant applied. If that's leaking, it'll leak exhaust into the water pump (mostly at idle).
 

cumin@you

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
3
Re: New to boating Need help

Well thanks for the reply. I will check that before I decide to buy. How are force motors do they have a good histroy or should I hold out and look for somthing better?
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,970
Re: New to boating Need help

Force motors have a poor track record.
I have worked on a few, have owned 2, no more.
They are no longer made.
As far as I know, Mercury is not making replacement parts, so when the warehouse is empty, you may have trouble getting parts.

Personally, I would look for a different boat.
 

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
110
Re: New to boating Need help

I would agree... I would be looking for another boat. Dont purchase something that has know problems. It is probably just a new pump or stat replacement but Force has had poor track record. And if he knew the problem was there why didnt he fix it himself. I Had a few friends that had them and nothing but issues. Look for a good running well matained Johnson/Rude or Mercury.
 

cumin@you

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
3
Re: New to boating Need help

Thanks everyone. You helped me make a decision and probably some hassles out on the water. :cool:
 
Top