New to boating... looking to restore old Marlin

AndrewH

Cadet
I inherited a 1978 Marlin 16' runabout a few years back and have finally got around to restoring/repairing it only to find out the company no longer makes these type of boats, sheesh.

Well, to get me started I drained the gas, stuck in a new battery, and turned the key. No surprise, nothing happened. Well I when through the wiring (just cleaning off the wire ends, replacing where it needed etc.) and tried the key again, and she turned over.

She didn't start up, but the engine isn't seized :D.

Here are my restro questions...

1. How do I find parts and rebuild kits for my boat (like for the carburetor)?

2. Are there any upgrades I can do? I found an electronic ignition that would directly replace the point style distributor, any others like that I should know about? I have a fuel injected Ford 5.0, would that work in lieu of using the stock 4 banger?

This is really my first experience with owning a boat to say the least about restoring one, so any help that you can offer will greatly help.

Thanks,

AndrewH

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to boating... looking to restore old Marlin

you have to be very careful, about using auto products in a boat, due to fire suppression. auto products can make a boat go BOOM.

we have to know what motor you have, i;m assuming it is an inboard-outboard.

AndrewH

Cadet

Oh I see.

Is it a complete no-no, or are there just curtain things to look out for?

I assume the engines' weight difference would come into play as well as securely mounting it, but should I completely drop the auto power plant swap idea and focus more on restoring/repairing the stock engine or replacing it with a marine engine?

AndrewH

Cadet

Very nice thread.

I knew about making sure the outdrive and engine could mate up correctly, make sure the outdrive can handle the torque rating of the new engine, and to "waterproof" everything especially the electrical.

But those links really help in regards to the regulations I wasn't aware of (minimum ventilation requirements for example).

Thank you for your help.