New to boating, first restoration

400resto

Cadet
LEGEND OU=offer up GW=goodwill AAP=advance auto parts OS=old stock (already owned)
•Fresh bottom paint after old paint was removed
•decals removed Fresh hull & midstripe paint ( oOps shelf SW)
•Top gel coat removed oxidation & teak wood. Filled screw holes, wet sanded all non painted gel coat, compound, polished & waxed.
•windshield glass clay bar & polished, inside glass tinted (old stock)
•all aluminum & stainless polished
•new interior - upholstery new wood, new high density foam (OU & GW) new marine vinyl (OU). Redid sun deck too
•Installed new BT stereo (old stock deck) JBL marine 4 channel amp & 2 Kicker 6.5 speakers (retail) 2 Pyle 6.5 speakers & nib bazooka powered subwoofer (OU)
•New boat carpet (OU)
•LED interior accent lighting ‘blue’ (AAP Clearance)
•New Hummingbird Fish Finder (Walmart Clearance)
•New Fuel pump (Amazon Warehouse deal)
•New water pump
•Rebuilt carburetor (local shop)
•New Starting deep cycle battery (OU)
•New Deep Cycle house battery (Retail Sale AAP)
•Fixed exhaust leak at manifold gasket
•New Navigation lights (Walmart Clearance)
•New Bimini 8’ long top (Retail)
•New gas shocks for sun deck lid
•Used like new retractable swim ladder
•New power wire, accessary wiring and fused junction boxes.
•New spark plugs
•Electric Ignition Points conversion upgrade
•New Coil
TRAILER
•New Paint
•New LED lights
•New guide railes
•New trailer jack (HF)
•New tires (OU)
•New manufacture decals

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its a 31+ yr old boat but didnt need any deck, stringer or tranaom work? That make it a 1 in several hundred thousand.

No more before/after pix? Or during?

400resto

Cadet
nope everything was solid. Celebrity was known for making structurally solid boats

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Great job! Amazing that none of the wood structure had to be replaced, you must be in a pretty dry climate that would never happen here...

1989 Celebrity OMC 3.0
bought for $400
it wasnt running. i redid everything, upgraded too. 8 months solo when i had some free time. View attachment 329528View attachment 329529
You said you removed the old paint. You didnt just scuff it up and regelcoat? Did you take it all the way down to the glass? Cracks? The reason I'm asking is I worked for Celebrity in 1994 - 2000 building 18 boats a day before SeaDoo bought them out. We ran the Seadoo Celebrity boats for one year at 12 a day before production stopped and we went full Seadoo jet boats at 35 a day. It was really depressing seeing the Celebrity Boat stop being made. A lot of good people made a decent living from Celebrity. I miss it.

400resto

Cadet
You said you removed the old paint. You didnt just scuff it up and regelcoat? Did you take it all the way down to the glass? Cracks? The reason I'm asking is I worked for Celebrity in 1994 - 2000 building 18 boats a day before SeaDoo bought them out. We ran the Seadoo Celebrity boats for one year at 12 a day before production stopped and we went full Seadoo jet boats at 35 a day. It was really depressing seeing the Celebrity Boat stop being made. A lot of good people made a decent living from Celebrity. I miss it.
The previous owner put a bottom paint on it that was real ruff and ugly. i removed all of it by stripping it. got down to the gelcoat only with 180 then up to a 400 grit. then i applied the new coats of paint.

400resto

Cadet
Great job! Amazing that none of the wood structure had to be replaced, you must be in a pretty dry climate that would never happen here...
Yep; im in Arizona. Boat is trailered when not in the water for the day. never stored wet.

400resto

Cadet
New bimini top up, another angle. guide rails carpeted

Attachments

• 3754FB5A-1064-44B7-8E2C-366E5EF79F69.jpeg
    3754FB5A-1064-44B7-8E2C-366E5EF79F69.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • E8088EA5-53BE-4989-BD35-F5E32B2FF2C0.jpeg
    E8088EA5-53BE-4989-BD35-F5E32B2FF2C0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just curious how you verified transom, stringer, motor mount and deck integrity?

400resto

Cadet
Just curious how you verified transom, stringer, motor mount and deck integrity?
i replaced about 1/2 the deck before new boat carpet and when doing so i knocked on the stringers, sounded fine. motor mounts solid and fasteners in place as they should. I did have these things checked by a professional mariner/mechanic out of San Diego. I’ve hired him on two separate occasions (not cheap).

todhunter

Canoeist
I thought knocking or tapping stringers was the way to go as well, but it isn't. If there is enough glass over the wood core, you won't be able to tell a difference in the sound. When I did my full tear-out, I was surprised to find areas with total rot that sounded solid when tapping on them. Drilling a core is the best way to truly know.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
^^^ I agree. The front half of my stringers looked like mulch and most of the glass was just flapping around. The bilge area sounded great to find out when I took the deck out that it was 1/4 of glass no glass on the other side and a bunch of mulch pinned against it with wet foam.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
i replaced about 1/2 the deck before new boat carpet and when doing so i knocked on the stringers, sounded fine. motor mounts solid and fasteners in place as they should. I did have these things checked by a professional mariner/mechanic out of San Diego. I’ve hired him on two separate occasions (not cheap).

Sorry to say, but knocking on things will tell you nothing. You really need to drill test holes and inspect the shavings for moisture or rot.