New Seats

curls

Recruit
Hi all,

i have a bayliner capri restoration in progress and was looking for some advice. basically the old seats that were in it read attention, the wood in them is rotten and the leather is beyond repair. Should i rebuild them and recover, (if so where can i get the leather seat cover patterns from?). OR! buy complete new ones with bases, (if so where could i get them from?)

any recommendations will be greatly appreciated

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Seats

Hiya curls, welcome aboard! I've spent a lot of time in Notts (Kegworth), so I know a little of your canals and such. Beautiful countryside there.

I've moved this thread to Boat Restoration where your fibre glass thread is. Looks like you'll be spending some time here. First, the material your seats are covered with is vinyl. I would assume there is a local shop that could easily recover them. If you were to build the seat bases etc. themselves I am sure it would be less total cost than having them completely replaced/rebuilt by someone else.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey curls,

Post some pics of your seats. I recently reupholstered some fishing seats and had NEVER done anything like that in my life. Check out my thread in my signature to see how they turned out and there is also a link there on how to post your pics. If your a handy kind of guy you could probably do it. I used the old covers for patterns for the new. You can order the vinyl from the internet.

http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?fabric_type=401

oops!

Supreme Mariner

HI BUDDY !

welcome to iboats......i see qc has gotten you into the right place !

ok....what are we talking about?....im guessing back to back seats

the cost breakdown is as follows.

new b2b loungers......499 a pop
re cover.....about 350 a pop (possibly better but the b-liner b2bs had multi panels and colors)
you can dyi for about 100.

now......to have the wood replaced professionally will be far more expencive than new seats.
if you replace the wood and properly protect it from rotting.....you can do it cheap (under 50 bux) and send the seats out to have them recovered.

so......if you do the whole thing yourself.......you can spend 150 for 2 b2b loungers.
do the wood your self....and have them re covered by a pro for a total of 800 bux
or just buy new ones here at i boats

OR..........
enter a picture of your ugly seats in the contest at the top of this restoration forum and possibly win something !

cheers
oops

drewpster

Commander

curls, I am not personally familiar with the region of the UK where you live but I do know there is a huge market in the UK for marine parts. Do some searches for marine seats in your neck of the woods and I am certain you will find plenty of resources for replacing or recovering your seats. There are plenty of suppliers for Vinyl supplies and marine seats in the US, but I am sure there are equally as many in the UK.

Of course you always have the option of ordering stuff from the US, but I bet you will save on shipping if you look locally.
Iboats parts is always an option.

drewp

burninman

Seaman Apprentice

I had this in my bookmarks. I haven't used it yet, so I really can't say they'd be worth it or not, but the prices and options weren't too bad for new seats you can design yourself.

http://veada.com/

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I am a day or two away from post a thread for this subject

1. carefully take apart one seat...first the vinyl then the frame...duplicate the frame deminsions glue and screw them back together..Poof done...seal the wood with some kind of epoxy.
2. Take your foam and disinfect it and if you have a steam gun avaible fluff it back to the original state.
3. Take the orginal vinly out to a vinly shop and have them cut the patterns form the old seats and dulipcate them.....Go from shop to shop to get bids...there can be wild variations
4. Take home the new seats and reassemble them..
5. Total cost...250 for labor and 70 for materials.. Easy deal

curls

Recruit

Thanks everyone for your comments!!! i think i will look into rebuilding them myself and get someone to redo the patterns

thanks again

Curls

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

seats are really not all that complicated...they CAN get complicated...but they dont have to be...
most seat sewing is pretty basic...

check out my seat thread in my signature...