New Ranger seats

CNYBOATER

Recruit
I have a 1987 ranger 372v that needs new seats. The driver and passenger seats have storage under them, the center seat is missing. I contacted the local Ranger dealer and new factory seats can be ordered for around $800. Has anyone replaced thier seats with aftermarket and how did you fit the seats over the storage areas with the lip that stick up? I don't have a problem paying $800 for the new seats but it seems that the aftermarket seats would be more comfortable and I won't have to wait 6-8 weeks.

Thanks

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Ranger seats

Haven't replaced mine, but that does answer the question as to how much they would want for them. My pedestal seats are needing rebuilt and I was almost thinking of contacting them about new ones.

Can't you just recover your current seats? I see that your center seat is missing, I actually have to rebuild the back of that one as well and possibly the bottom. If you are interested in having them recovered, maybe we could work something out where I could cut out an additional piece of plywood for those and send it to you. I'm using 3/4" and 1/2" exterior grade ply for mine.

What I'm doing on mine is taking the staples out and pulling the vinyl off and just replacing the wood. Of course my vinyl and padding is all good, it's just the ply that is worn out.

Of course this is all dependent on whether the 1986 373v and 1987 372v have the same seats....

CNYBOATER

Recruit

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I could recover the seats my self they have an armrest that would make it difficult for a beginner. From what I have seen here it cost almost as much to have seats professionally covered as it does to buy new. I am a pretty good carpenter and I could probably make a center seat and get a price on recovering. If you could send me some pics of your seats covered and when you take the cover off to replace the wood that would be great.

Thanks
EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, I have been busy getting the boat ready for the past weekend. I got in a hurry on that center seat and fogot to snap pictures of it prior to putting it back together, but I cut two sets of plywood backs out for each seat I did, so in the future all I have to do is uncover and recover and not mess with getting wood and recovering. If you still want me to snap pics of what I have let me know. I'll gladly do it!

With all that said, the next time, I have to do this, which may be soon as my center seat is starting to crack out, I'm likely going to order them from Ranger. The center seat bottom is $123 complete or $46 for just the skin. I can get the center seat back for about $76 complete. Instead of the wood backing they originally used, it is now a plastic, which means it won't rot out. Personally, I don't think that's too bad of a deal. I probably spent $100+ just rebuilding the frames for 2 pedestal seats and the center seats, which without a doubt will be a problem again within 5yrs or so.

Have you tried calling Ranger Direct?? Don't know if they are any less expensive, but worth a shot. I know you don't want to hear this, but if you don't have the seats or frames, I think $800 sounds like a great price. They will be an exact match for your boat and rebuilding them isn't cheap. Besides the cost of the plywood, the stainless hardware adds up quickly.

Again, if you want, I'll gladly snap pics of whatever you'd like. Just let me know!