New Prop how to install it correctly, old prop spun.

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
131
Hi everyone,
Okay Here is my old problem. I took my 20' boat out and couldn't trim it I was thinking the prop was coming out of the water,well it wasn't the prop coming out of the water it was freely spinning at 1/4 throttle. The old prop was 19 pitch
the new one is 23 pitch 3 blade aluminum. We never propped the motor to the boat so we are starting with a 23 pitch after seeing what a 19 did. We have the new prop but we don't have the stuff that goes inside it. I'm sorry but i don't no the names of the pieces.
should this be done at a boat shop (putting the peaces in it) not sure if there put in with a press because I cant get the old ones off the old prop. All comments welcome on pitch that should be used are welcome also.
Boat is a 20' starcraft and the motor is a 175 hp merc black max 1986.
 

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
131
Re: New Prop how to install it correctly, old prop spun.

I got the hub from the old prop. new question does that have to be packed in grease? If so what kind should I get?
How do you tell if your prop is spun? I have it off like I said, but the inside looks fine all the teeth look good on it.
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: New Prop how to install it correctly, old prop spun.

Ayuh,... You need the Hub Kit that matches the new prop, as I kinda doubt the hub from the old prop is of the same design...
 

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
131
Re: New Prop how to install it correctly, old prop spun.

Its not a hub that i got from the ole prop it is a peace that goes on the end of it, the hub is in there.
 

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
827
Re: New Prop how to install it correctly, old prop spun.

Does the prop Torq Flo hub kit? The inside of the pop will look like a square with rounded corners. If so you need the kit to install the prop. Did you buy the prop from a marine dealer? He should have been able to tell you what you needed. If the old prop had a rubber insert the rubber is what was bad- not the splines. If the new prop has no hub in it you need a hub kit. If it's a Merc prop you need a Flo Torq kit- about $50.
 
Top