New Project...Need Floor Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryant Davis

Cadet
I have decided to take on and complete a floor project that someone else lost interest in. The boat is a 1989 21' Kenner. Overall, the stringers aren't in too bad of condition. Mainly in small spots where the floor was screwed or nailed in and the glass was penetrated. I bought the boat just as it is in the pics. My first question is should I go ahead and re-work the stringers before the floor, and if so what would be the preferred method? Looks like a heavy roven-woving was used originally and extends past the stringers on the floor about 6" in between each one. Should I completely cut out stringers and replace? Put another stringer alongside existing and glass all together? If the stringers are to be cut out and replaced, will I have to completely grind old roven off the floor? What should I use (weight woven roven then cloth?) to glass them in?<br /><br />In addition, the transom is pretty sturdy, but on the top it appears the plywood layers are starting to seperate a little. Can't locate any rot however. Can I re-glass this over, or should it be cut out and replaced. To what extent should I cut?<br /><br />As you can tell, I don't know much about glass (yet). I have spent the last two days reading everything I can find on this site, and now need some specific help. Anyone care to comment?<br /><br />Thanks in advance and I sure appreciate all I have learned so far!<br /><br />Bryant<br /><br />
ken1.jpg
<br />
ken2.jpg
<br />
ken3.jpg
<br />
ken4.jpg
<br />
ken5.jpg
<br />
ken6.jpg
<br />
ken7.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Project...Need Floor Advice

You might want to dig around a little more in the stringers to see if you can find more bad wood. It would be easy (easier) to replace them now with the boat all apart, than in a year or two find that there was more of a problem than you thought and have to take it all apart again.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.

Welcome aboard!

"I bought the boat just as it is in the pics."

Pix? If you want exact advice, then detailed pix will help.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know if it's just my computer, but the pictures aren't showing up, just little red X's

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

6 year old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.