New Project. '81 Glastron Carlson C-500 "Metric"

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Anybody old enough to 'member the early '80s when the powers that be decided America should change to the metric system? Big media push, lotsa experts saying how converting would benefit us all. To our credit Americans answered with a resounding, "Switch this!!!" But I digress.

Boat is a '81 C-500. Stands for 5 meters long (500 centimeters). Thankfully Glastron came to their senses & fell off the metric bandwagon almost as quick as they jumped on & went back to measuring boats in feet and inches. To the best of my knowledge the "Metric Series" was only produced in 1981. Too bad mine's purty much trashed, but might be worthy of a resto?

Attachments

• BrooksvilleCarlson.jpg
    BrooksvilleCarlson.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New Project. '81 Glastron Carlson C-500 "Metric"

Anybody old enough to 'member the early '80s when the powers that be decided America should change to the metric system? Big media push, lotsa experts saying how converting would benefit us all. To our credit Americans answered with a resounding, "Switch this!!!" But I digress.

Ayuh,.... I remember the push to Metric in the early 60s,....

I wish We'd have gone All the way then....
I'd only need $30,000.00 worth of Tools, instead of the $60,000.00 worth I need now to do my job...

Ya,... Cool lookin' boat, no matter how ya measure it...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I might be mistaken, but I don't think so ^^^^ "No Truer Words Have Ever Been Spoken On This Topic!!!!!!!!":eek:

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Ha Ha I remember grade school in the 70s when my Teacher said that we would be totally converted to the metric system by 1980...now I have to look back and laugh.

You see here in America anyone can visualize 1 mile, but ask them to do the same for a kilometer and they (I know that I do) just stare at you. The same is true for a hundred yards...oh yeah that is a football field...but now ask for a hundred meters LOL

dcpolasky

Seaman Apprentice

Did you ever restore this boat? Do you have it still?

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Hey dc, I suggest you PM the guy instead of bump his old thread. Might get you a faster response.

stevegrzesik

Recruit

I have $2500 in my boat and the floor is soft. Is it worth restoring?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I have $2500 in my boat and the floor is soft. Is it worth restoring?
This advice is still good:
Hey dc, I suggest you PM the guy instead of bumping his old thread. Might get you a faster response.
There should have been a red banner that indicated that this thread was over 90days inactive. As such it should be used for research only, and treated like a library book: Not to be written in.

Only YOU can determine if YOUR boat is WORTH restoring.