New project... 1960 Supercraft 14'

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
What was I thinking... some guy had started and ran out of elbow grease... Now it is in MY garage! I have NEVER done this before... what was I thinking?

the hull seems ok... the bottom has been fiberglassed ( the keel strip is a bit ragged.. I guess I will go over it with some more fiberglass and resin. The upper deck has been sanded down... there are some damaged areas, small stained areas... I am thinking about replacing with new ply... any thoughts on doing this without a second mortgage? the sides of the hull are raw now... what is the best way to paint it? do I need to seal it with something first? I am such a newbie... Sorry! There are two hand rails... look mahogany. both are damaged. Can I buy stock and use the old ones as templates? again what is economically best source? The indshield is intact but had some deep scratches... I used a very fine wet sand paper to get one down... then plastic polish... seems to be getting better... any tips on that? the rear seat cushion had some mold on the bottom (top is vinyl, bottom is white fabric) any tips on cleaning it? some of the mold got to the foam... I have a steam cleaner... would that help?

I thank you in advance for your help... I really want to save this little boat if I can. I restored a 1957 35hp Lark... They are meant for eachother.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• 1960 runabout small.JPG
    1960 runabout small.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: New project... 1960 Supercraft 14'

Welcome aboard!
By using the search tool up on the toolbar you'll find lost of info..kinda like "google" but here on iboats!

How about some pics, we all love drooling over somebody else's headache...I mean project!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Holy Cow! What a find! Thats one collectible boat. And the original trailer really adds to the package.

... The upper deck has been sanded down... there are some damaged areas, small stained areas... I am thinking about replacing with new ply... any thoughts on doing this without a second mortgage? the sides of the hull are raw now... what is the best way to paint it? do I need to seal it with something first? I am such a newbie... Sorry! There are two hand rails... look mahogany. both are damaged. Can I buy stock and use the old ones as templates? again what is economically best source? The indshield is intact but had some deep scratches... I used a very fine wet sand paper to get one down... then plastic polish... seems to be getting better... any tips on that? the rear seat cushion had some mold on the bottom (top is vinyl, bottom is white fabric) any tips on cleaning it? some of the mold got to the foam... I have a steam cleaner... would that help?

The wood can be coated with epoxy, or apply a thin veil of fabric, like a 6 or 8 oz and epoxy resin all over the outer hull. Same as is done with the home built kayaks and canoes. It will last many years and totally water proof it. Same with the deck. Then paint.

Yes, you should be able to find mahogany at the local lumber yard (not depot or lowes)

The windshield can be polished out. A big buffer works best, and you will need the right compounds. Search this forum for more info on polishing windshields or contact a plastics supplier in the yellow pages.

For the mold, try a spray bottle with a weak clorox mix, start with about 10 or 15% clorox in water and pump spray on, after mildew fades, hose off so it doesn't affect the fabric. If you can take the entire top off the frame, it would be better to wash the vinyl in a big bucket of soap and clorox. Ask the wife how much clorox she adds to the laundry, and start about there. Hose and hang to dry.

And post some more photos, especially for the areas of concern. We love photos..... :)

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really? I was told it was but I thought they were pulling my leg... Is there any info I can get as to its history? I would be grateful. I contacted Novus regarding the windshield polish... they were very helpful... I am trying to find a good source for the plywood needed to replace the deck... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Its hard to tell the condition of the front deck from the photo, but it looks like its been sanded. If the existing ply is sound, but just stained, go to the lumber yard and see if you can order a nice 1/4" mahogany veneer plywood. It can be ripped into strips and glued to the old ply with water proof carpenters glue or construction adhesive like PL (sold at lows/depot). Or just ask for what is available in 1/16" veneer sheets and just glue that down The old ply has the nice curves that will be hard to reproduce if removed and you are not an experienced wood worker. After the deck is all stained and finished, apply a few coats of epoxy or marine varnish to seal out the water.

Do you know what brand boat that is? Its hard to tell unless your an expert in the old wooden boats from the 40's-50's. It could also be a home built, because they looked the same as the "factory" wood builts of that era. By the 60's most boats were fiberglass hulls, some still had exposed wood transoms and decking that looked very nice against a white glass hull. So my guess is it is either a factory boat from the 40-50s, or home built from 60's. The trailer might be a Tee-Nee.

Oh, if it has the old rope/cable steering, all the pulley wheels, tension springs, and plastic coated cable are still available. As long as the helm is in good or repairable condition you are good to go.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

The make is "supercraft" from tampa florida... any info on that?