new problem

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I got a 2000 Johnson 250 . One block wasn't fire n . So traced it back to shift assist switch . With iboats help . So now I installed a new switch all 6 cyl. Are firing but the switch is not engaging . Now that I think of it don't think it ever worked. So is there something I'm missing seems like the lever that passes over the switch just barely skims it but not enuf to push it in . So is there a adjustment I'm missing . And since I've been about 3 yrs without a working switch do I bother ???

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new problem

IMAG0838.jpg so here's a quick pic of it . Is there supposed to be a gap there . Is something wrong or a adjustment I don't see

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hard to tell from the photo. If I remember correctly, the shift assist switch on my '98 Johnny 150HPV6 sat on two pins that located it exactly.

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya I can see the 2 pin on the bottom of pic . And ya u just pop it onto the pins . But that top horizontal arm doesn't move enuf to press button what can I do. I'm gonna try and magyver something

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The movable part of the switch is on the bottom I would think....

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any other takers I still cant get the shift asst button to engage . Should I just unplug it

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the spring still on top of the switch to push it into the cam ?? Or maybe bottom. The switch has to have spring to push it.

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMAG0839.jpg yes sir little blue spring is there and seems to b ok . I put another pic I put a zip tie on it trying to fill the gap still not enuf . Is the arm that hits the button when I shift does it look worn . Still no one answered do I really need this switch . Should I put it in the spear parts box

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That switch is supposed to kill spark to 1/2 the motor to make it easier for you to put the gearcase into neutral. If you can shift to neutral, without the switch, then you can remove it.