New Power System Will Drive Boat Sales

cmcpherson

Banned
Re: New Power System Will Drive Boat Sales

Rather than just calling it spam it should take anyone about 2 minutes to go research this thing and find out for themselves. What the OP dd was not spam, if this is spam then every time someone mentions a brand name on here should be spam as well.

erikgreen

Captain

No, it's spam.

This is basically an AD in the forum. It should be deleted.

Now, if it was a post from a forum member who tried out a boat with the drive, and was reporting good or bad on it, that's different.

But, this is just the text from a magazine ad being posted in our nice, clean forum.

Erik

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't really know if it was meant to be Spam??? But the point I would make is that this is a new tech for 30-40 ft boats I'm interested in knowing a little more about it---it's kind of like the new Injection mold boat building process---I'm not especially a Genmar fan--but it's an interesting concept---just like this is---It's also nice to have a clean Spam free forum to ask questions about new products---Steve

cmcpherson

Banned

Really, an ad? Where would I go to buy one of these? Just because he is new? BTW, this is not a nice clean forum, there are a myriad of totally biased posts that mention brand names and have nothing to do with Iboats. BTW, to the person who originally posted about this "spam" nice job on the hijack...

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

C'mon fellas. 1 of 2 things:

1.) Seabuddy did a **** poor job of a post and came off sounding like a salesman
or
2.) Seabuddy really is a salesman

If you compare this post with the likes of TD's Bayliner test drive post, he states clearly and plainly that he is not affiliated with Bayliner and goes over the good and bad points of the boats he test drove. It didn't sound like a salesman's pitch.

I think QC also posted something similar to TD's post about test driving some new boats or something. Both of them have been around here long enough that we know they're straight shooters.

But these guys have less than 100 posts between them. I'd be interested to see if Seabuddy's and RGrew are logging in from the same domain and what that domain is?

cmcpherson

Banned

Damn this modern information world! Apparently, if you want to say something sucks, no problem...

Noodlestsc

Recruit

All you guys saying this is spam are a bunch of toolbags. As you can see I never really post here but have lurked for a long time and have gotten some great advice.

Google is your friend. Type the system in and you will see the OP was just trying to show you some AWESOME new technology in drives. I have never test ran it, but have read about it in several boating magazines.

Damn strike the guy dead for telling you about some new technology.

O boy the whole world is a conspiracy, we better shut every popular science type of magazine down because they are trying to get us to buy all the new gadgets.

by the way it sounds like maybe the op might work for a company and probably saw this and thought he would like to share. It also says that it looks like he is planning "Check for another posting where I share my on-the-water experience with Axius."

He is telling you about a Mercruiser drive system. This system I'm sure is going to be on a lot of manufacturers boats.....so how is this spamming? He's not trying to sell you one particular boat, he is telling you about drive innovations that will most likely be in tons of boats in the future.

And by the way you guys should really check this system out if nothing more then to look at the latest technology. It looks cool as hell.

cmcpherson

Banned

All you guys saying this is spam are a bunch of toolbags. As you can see I never really post here but have lurked for a long time and have gotten some great advice.

Google is your friend. Type the system in and you will see the OP was just trying to show you some AWESOME new technology in drives. I have never test ran it, but have read about it in several boating magazines.

Damn strike the guy dead for telling you about some new technology.

O boy the whole world is a conspiracy, we better shut every popular science type of magazine down because they are trying to get us to buy all the new gadgets.

by the way it sounds like maybe the op might work for a company and probably saw this and thought he would like to share. It also says that it looks like he is planning "Check for another posting where I share my on-the-water experience with Axius."

He is telling you about a Mercruiser drive system. This system I'm sure is going to be on a lot of manufacturers boats.....so how is this spamming? He's not trying to sell you one particular boat, he is telling you about drive innovations that will most likely be in tons of boats in the future.

And by the way you guys should really check this system out if nothing more then to look at the latest technology. It looks cool as hell.

all very good points!

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

all very good points!

And the people saying it sounds like spam aren't making good points?

You can't tell me it doesn't read like spam. Like I said in my earlier post, it may not be, but it sure came across that way.

aspeck

Staff member

Here?s THE reason to buy a new twin engine boat this coming spring. It?s that good. It?s that intuitive. And it?s changing the playing field for twin engine boats....

... but I suggest that you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don?t first demo an Axius-equipped boat before you buy any twin engine powerboat ...

... Check for another posting where I share my on-the-water experience ...

And HERE is why it feels and smells like SPAM. Is he just telling us about some neat technology? No, it is a sell. No one requested information on this product, so he just comes right out selling ... it smells of salemanship (of which I have some experience.) Is seabuddy affiliated with Mercruiser? I don't know. does he have a vested interest in whether they do well? I don't know for sure. But reading the post it SEEMS like he does.

JB, a moderator with 28,000 plus posts feels that way, I have been around a while and it feels that way to me, and there are others that feel that way. Unless Seabuddy can give some reason that he does NOT have a vested interest in what happens with this system, I think this thread goes beyond information.

erikgreen

Captain

Ad hominem attacks are a logical fallacy, by the way. Calling other posters names won't make you more (or less) correct or incorrect. It's just childish.

I strongly suspect it will be years, if ever, before this new type of drive makes it to people doing serious hands-on work on this board. There don't seem to be a lot of high end new boat owners here, and these drives cost the world currently, and probably will for a while.

The IPS and Zeus type drives are actually pretty well known, and have been seen at boat shows for a year or so now. They're neat, but you can't really refit a boat to use them, either, since it needs to be designed for their unique characteristics. So again, I don't see a lot of people here using them in projects, even when repowering.

All that aside, the original post was very low on good information, contained a lot of marketing type crap about how the drive is "revolutionary" and encouraged us all to investigate it.

This board is for discussion of the drive, so the same information in the above post could have been conveyed by saying "Hey, there's a cool new drive out that does XXX.. check here for more information".

Instead, we got a long burst of ad copy that strongly resembles someone trying to sell us something. I don't come here to read ads, I come here to read about other people's problems with their boats and to discuss them.

Erik

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have been quietly watching this which was probably a mistake . . . I actually need to write a review of the Axius still and a reaction to this thread was perplexing. I too was confused by Seabuddy's first post; the tone is weird, but it doesn't mean it is not genuine interest and/or excitement.

RGrew was with me in Knoxville and we both ran the Axius in a 2900 SE Maxum. He was a guest like me although he was invited from the Bayliner's Owners Club. I am not sure who Seabuddy is. I thought he may have also been in Knoxville at first, but his pics are of a different set, the units we ran were 5.0's . . .

Anyway, with the above said, I have a mixed reaction to the Axius.

1) The comparisons to inboards are misleading as these are sterndrives . . . I would contend that the IPS is a more valid comparison to inboards as they are mounted underneath. Most of the figures noted comparing them to inboards are matched by standard Sterndrives . . .

2) I love electronic high tech engine/drive technology. I am not afraid of it and welcome almost all advances.

3) On the other hand, I love the skills that an individual develops operating boats as they are now. While I was in Knoxville, I was proud to put the bigger cruisers into their slips with conventional controls. I didn't even care to try bringing in the Axius, as it was soooo dern easy it was no challenge . . . Maybe a stupid view, but this is what I was honestly feeling at the time.

4) Boating is about family to me, and the Axius system could make a day on the water less stressful for a family. Dad, Mom and Jr. could bring this boat into a slip with a crosswind and a bunch of onlookers :eek:

5) I did not like all of the banging in and out of gear that the system does constantly. It just bugged me. I have always wished my sterndrives shifted in and out of gear like an inboard . . . they don't. With Axius that clunking and banging is constant and add ion a little revving and you might get the picture . . ..

6) It worked very well though doing what it was supposed to. There is a docking mode that limits the system to 1000 RPM bumps and regular which limits it to 2000 RPM if I remember correctly. You could literally run a boat on Axius alone 100% of the time in the harbor, marina etc. If the joystick was pushed forward all of the way, she would push along at 2000 RPM dead ahead until you told her not to. If you pushed it sideways, 2000 RPM sideways.

Pretty awesome stuff, but there is an awful lot going on that I personally like to control myself. It's more fun for me . . . :rolleyes:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I think this (and a few other topic threads here), do NOT belong here...move it and them to the basement..(DC)

Noodlestsc

Recruit

So what if the original post is worded different then you are used to. That's why 95% of the arguments online are started. Because sometimes tone, context, sarcasm, etc in written word don't come through clearly.

>>No, it is a sell. No one requested information on this product<< Are you actually trying to say that no one is aloud to post on a cool item unless someone asks about it first?

And so what if it has marketing in it. If I think a system is cool of course I'm going to say go get it. Even if he is affiliated somehow, all the articles I've seen on the product are kick-***** so he's not telling you lies. This is a system that is obviously not a retrofit if you look at the system itself. That being said and like I said in my other post, it will be on countless boats from different manufacturers. So he really isn't selling you on anything (unless someone thinks they want to somehow retrofit their boat with it)

I say all the time how my VP outdrive is virtually bullet proof. Do you think I'm trying to market them, no I'm trying to tell you they were built well. Same with my Jeep. I tell people all the time the inline six is indestructable, but I don't work for Chrysler and am not trying to get people to buy them.

Just because it is worded to spread the word about a product (maybe one he represents), doesn't make it spam. In researching this I saw articles from boattest and sail-world who wrote about the system...They are independent researchers who also use words like "revolutionary system" and what not. I wouldn't call them spam. I call them informative articles from a source.

But again it seems to me that some people just can't understand that not everything is a conspiracy.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ask again---how much $$$ do these things cost?????

RGrew176

Commander

Unless I have misread the name of this forum (boat topics and questions) where would one pass on or share this type of information if not here. If you feel this is spam then ignore the thread. No one is making you read it. There are a few here who genuinely want information, it is for them that Seabuddy and I have posted information on the Axius system.

It does make boat handling and close quarter maneuvering easy, like QC said almost to easy. Since the system is new there is no history yet as to problems or potential problems. Like QC said in his post the constant changing of gears would over time possibly cause extra wear and tear on the gearing. This is something that a history of issues will need to be built.

Personally, I like the idea. I like the fact that any manufacturer utilizing Bravo III sterndrives can make this an option on their boats, no hull modifications are necessary. As to cost, I was not given any cost information so I cannot answer that question. I like the position holding capacity, that is a plus in many applications.

Is it something everyone will want, no it isn't but its nice to have the ability when ordering your new boat to have the option to have it or not.

Again, I thought the purpose of this forum was to share information about boats and boating. If I am wrong please let me know.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Stuff this one for a new drive system-have a hunt on Google and Youtube for Yellowfin. Now THAT's revolutionary.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Quit whining folks. Seabuddy is certianly excited about the new system and I can't blame him for that. Spamish? Maybe a little so, but so is anything that we have been introduced to and enjoy.

Seabuddy is more articulate than most, but this should not draw anyones ire. As to the copyright notice, judging by his high quality photographs he is probably protecting them from being nicked and someone else making a profit from them. Personally, I'm glad he shared them with us. Were they genuine spam, they would have the manufacturers copyright on them.

As to the less than 100 post between the two, that form of logic would suggest that the first 100 post of anyone who has ever posted should be suspect, especially if they were articulate.

I did a quick search of all of the post by both of the gentlemen, read them all and can find no tendancy to spam. I did find exceptionally clear writing though.

As to my background, I DID work for Mercury Marine for a short while and spent many years living within earshot of their test cells. I have not ever bought or owned one of their products.

If being excited about new technology renders one suspect then we should all go back to sail propulsion as even external combustion is a bit new fangled.

erikgreen

Captain

Interestingly enough, you sound not inarticulate in your own posts. And also interestingly, you seem to be having a positive response to any post from Seabuddy. And you have a very small number of posts yourself.