New Power System Will Drive Boat Sales

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here’s THE reason to buy a new twin engine boat this coming spring. It’s that good. It’s that intuitive. And it’s changing the playing field for twin engine boats.

On a soaking, snotty, rainy day that should have made for a miserable first test, I got to run the best thing to hit 30' to 35' boats since power steering. Wow!

axius+engine+clos+c+w.jpg

Now, no one should buy a new boat without a demo, but I suggest that you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don’t first demo an Axius-equipped boat before you buy any twin engine powerboat within the lower-thirty cruiser category. Try it. I say you will love it. Just give it 15 minutes—and boat handling, as you know it, will be redefined.

What is Axius? It’s a new version of a sterndrive.

How is it different? Each drive is turned by itself. No tie-bar connecting the drives to each other outside the boat. No tie-bar inside the boat. Each is capable of its own steering.

axius+engine+room+2+c+w.jpg

What does that do? When offered as a system in a boat—as in the Axius Sterndrive System—it lets the skipper do amazing things around the marina, near a beach, during water sports, and even while fishing. Figure on a 15-minute getting-used-to-it curve and you’ll be able to place your boat better than you would with twenty years’ of twin screw handling experience. Yes, you heard that right: Get twenty years’ of experience in 15 minutes! That’s why it’s the best thing since power steering in my book.

axius+rudder+c+w.jpg

A joystick is the control device. You may have heard about this for diesel-powered boats. With Axius it’s available for gas-powered boats as well. Through the joystick you control not only the drives’ steering, but also each engine’s rpm throttle settings—all in one “stick” that you either tilt or twist. Tilt it and the engines and steering set themselves so that the boat goes in the direction that you leaned the stick. Twist for more power. That’s it: tilt and twist the stick and the boat moves in the direction and at the speed that you want.

axi+close+up+c+wus.jpg

No more struggles negotiating to get into or out of a slip that’s tight, or against strong winds and current. No more shifting throttles and turning a steering wheel. That’s all done by the stick when you select to be in Axius mode. Go back to regular twin screw operation when you select to. Simple, easy, and it quickly becomes just what you do.

axius+transom+test+boat+31+sea+ray+c+w.jpg

Check for another posting where I share my on-the-water experience with Axius.

Attachments

• axius engine room 2 c w.jpg
    axius engine room 2 c w.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Power System Will Drive Boat Sales

Do I smell SPAM?

Why should I believe this is not SPAM?

aspeck

Staff member

smells like SPAM to me. Anyone for a SPAM sandwich????

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you also sell vitamins, soap and other toiletries?

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

The next Billy Mayes commercial, now that everyone is tired of Oxyclean...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Real close.
seabuddy.net in the pic throws me a bit.

RGrew176

Commander

Why would you call it SPAM. What the gentleman is posting about is a new drive system from Mercury. A drive system that has the possibility of totally improving boat handling for all from complete novices to experienced captains.

I was fortunate enough in September to test drive a new 2008 Maxum 2900 SE equipped with the new Axius drive system. It's everything the earlier poster stated it is. It works with boats equipped with Bravo III drives. As stated each drive is independent of the other. It is a fly by wire system with no mechanical linkages. It uses a joystick system similar to Volvo IPS and Mercury Zeus for the bigger diesel equipped boats. This system is for midsized cruisers equipped with gasoline engines. After testing the system I know if I ever purchase another boat it WILL be equipped with Axius.

The system is intended for docking and close quarter maneuvering. It is not meant for cruising. It took a couple minutes to get used to the fly by wire steering and throttle controls but what a system. After our test ride when I brought the boat back to the dock I had to try the system. I placed the throttles in neutral and held on to the joystick. Rotating the joystick I lined up with the dock and slowly brought the boat into the dock. I am right handed and did this with my left hand.

This is not spam it is the future of boating. There are other features the Axius system provides. Axius along with Mercury DTS allows the Captain some latitude while piloting a boat. Placing the port throttle into the neutral position and pushing one of the buttons on the throttle base you can control both engines using only the starboard throttle and the engines are sync'd to within 30 RPM or so while running. Another function which would be great for locking through locks is position hold. Pushing another button you can hold your position in wind or current.

I think it is a great advancement for the boating community. Now if we can come up with a propulsion system that does not use fossil fuels that would be fantastic.

tashasdaddy

SPAM with a little canned corn beef, thrown in.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

And yet when we attend a Bayliner function ... then go on to beat the drum for Bayliner on thread after thread, month after month ... that is not spam?

Kelly Cook

tashasdaddy

that is an approved thread of the owner, management of iboats. this one is not. remember this is a private forum.

RGrew176

Commander

One mans spam might be another mans information. The original post was informational with a link provided for further information. Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.

pduquette

Ensign

Igot a loaf of pumpernickel-but dose anyone have some grey pupon ? I'm out...

Maclin

Admiral

Plus one here for what KCook and RGrew176 posted.

Just look at it for what it is: truly good info about the future of boating.

Other boards have embraced it as good and positive fodder for discussion.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

So what am I missing, I see the picture of 2 pretty engines and the link just takes me to the same pretty picture. I can't see any informative information? I would like to know what this system is (so I can make my own opinion about BS or info), but this link doesn't tell me anything.. So what is this system?

Gary

JB

Too many words of praise and not enough facts. Still smells like SPAM to me.

RGrew176

Commander

So what am I missing, I see the picture of 2 pretty engines and the link just takes me to the same pretty picture. I can't see any informative information? I would like to know what this system is (so I can make my own opinion about BS or info), but this link doesn't tell me anything.. So what is this system?

Gary

Here is some information provided to us when we were in Knoxville this past
September to test eight new boats. U. S. Marine which covers the Maxum and Bayliner brands had four new models from each division for us to test. The 2008 Maxum 2900 SE was equipped with the Axius system. Now at this time information is limited.

Basicly Axius is a new sterndrive system using individually articulating Bravo III drives electronically controlled. It will be available on gasoline engines from 260 to 425 HP. It gives you excellent maneuverability and some aspects of performance. One of the great aspects of Axius is that it requires no modification of hulls so it can be used on any sterndrive boat.

Utilizing SmartCraft Digital Throttle and Shift the Axius system uses the SmartCraft Joystick Docking System which allows for independent control of each drive. Obviously this system is for twin drive installations only. Because the drives are independently controlled and not connected together as with conventional twin engine/drive installations the docking speeds utilizing the joystick controller allows Axius powered boats to walk sideways, move at any angle or even turn in a circle all controlled by the joystick. It basicly operates very similarly to the Volvo IPS and Mercury Zeus used in larger diesel powered boats.

If you add the optional Skyook Electronic Anchor it provides for station keeping or position holding. It will hold your boat in a single location even against wind and current. Since I do a lot of single handling this would be an excellent feature for me when putting out fenders, waiting to dock or waiting in line.

We were given a comparison chart comparing Axius to conventional V- drives:

Acceleration 0 to plane a 25% to 35% improvement.
0 to 20 MPH about the same.
0 to 30 MPH a 5% to 15% improvement.

Minimum plane speed an improvement of 15% to 25%.

Fuel economy at average cruise a 30% to 40% improvement.
Wide open throttle a 20% to 30% improvement.

Top speed a 20% to 25% improvement.

An up to 2db improvement in sound level at an average cruise speed.

The above information is provided by Mercury Marine.

That is all the information I have at this time. In the boat I tested the system worked flawlessly. There was not really much difference between the older mechanical systems and the Axius fly by wire system. Steering was smoother and throttle response was smoother and response was quicker. As I stated in an earlier post switching to one throttle electronically made operation simpler.

Where you really notice the advantages of the system is in close quarter maneuvering. That is where this system shines. If I ever do purchase a new boat it will have this system.

I may not have given you much more information to help you decide for yourself whether or not this is something you would want or like but that is all the info I currently have. You can check out EDIT for further info but there is not much more there yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Do I smell SPAM?

Why should I believe this is not SPAM?
Think theres 16 posts here...why bother with the rest...stopped here at the 2nd "JB has it nailed"...sucker born every minute...and 57 years ago I figured it out....and aint fell for it yet...
(besides who cares...love my old Merc "Stack" shoving a flatbottom Dragboat anyway...)...called REAL boating..

tashasdaddy

hope the joy stick is better than my Nintendo. where's the back up system.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tough to classify.

Seabuddy has posts not relating to spam floating around in the forums.

Is it opinion?

Is it spam?

It's certainly too expensive for me. Do they come in a 2-stroke model for 14' boats? :) Or am I out of touch with reality and living in the past???? :eek:

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sooooo--how much does this system cost over conventional drives?????

Is it going to continue to drive the price of boating out of the range for the general public----Steve