New pistol for carry

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You have no idea how strange it sounds to someone from another country to see people talking about handguns like they were favorite brands of shoes or cell phones! If I went into a store and saw people walking around with guns on their hips i would leave in a hurry! To each their own, I guess....I don't know one person who owns a handgun!

I see you are from the Rock. For us open carry of a handgun is something we just don't see and therefor don't understand. But if we grew up in a society where handguns were the norm we would understand it as second nature. The list of my American relatives and friends that do not own a handgun is shorter than those that do have one, close by and loaded. The 1st time I went to Italy I was floored when I saw the Police with automatic weapons slung over their shoulders. I caught myself staring at them and was questioned because I was staring. Terrorism there was something they were living with, we had yet to experience it until The FLQ out of Quebec kidnapped and murdered the Deputy Premiere ( Deputy Governor) of Quebec Pierre Laporte in October of 1970 and kidnapped and latter released British Diplomat James Cross.

In Canada all of our long guns must be locked in an approved gun safe. A handgun must be locked in a gun safe and must be locked in it's own lockbox. The ammo must be in another lockbox. It would take me who knows how long to get to a handgun and load it. The exception is for those that live in bear country. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Can not remember how many times I've heard someone on TV say that as their justification

Baylinerchuck

Commander
The second amendment is the only justification necessary. I live in PA, and we’re an open carry state. Conceal carry with permit. Most people don’t open carry, nothing wrong with it in my opinion, just kind of sends the wrong message under most normal circumstances. However, certain circumstances warrant open carry in my opinion such as a recent event in Gettysburg when malcontents threatened to desecrate the battlefield. Hundreds of law abiding citizens showed up to open carry along with local law enforcement, state law enforcement, Federal Park Service, and DHS. Great cooperation, and very peaceful, and it sent a message. Law enforcement stood shoulder to shoulder with armed citizens, it was fantastic.

Anyway, my current conceal carry gun is a Berreta Nano, 9mm. Even this small 10rd gun I found uncomfortable to carry, and keep from marking. I started using N82 Tactical holsters and now I barely know it’s there.

Anybody use anything else?

alldodge

Staff member
when malcontents threatened to desecrate the battlefield.

Sounds like a similar social media threat near me, and that's all it was, a social media spin, there was never an actual threat

Old Ironmaker

Captain
S&W makes a 9mm double action

The USCG went to the P299 DAK 40cal S&W

A perfect example of someone using acronyms they obviously understand and the reader may hopefully understand. Some of us have not a clue what they mean therefor what your saying alldodge. I think the 1st is United States Coast Guard, I think I'm correct. The rest,????????

Hold on a minute, S&W, Smith and Wesson. I'll work on the rest for a few days.

I found this online, now I am completely lost.

My LGS has p229 .40cal with DAK trigger for $580 plus tax and fees.
My only problem is I never had any experience with DAK trigger but I love the Sig of course.
I am DA/SA guy with p938 SAO which I love and its my EDC.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Old Ironmaker - P299 is a Sig Sauer pistol

DA = Double Action - The trigger performs two actions: setting the firing mechanism (pin/hammer) and releasing the mechanism
SA = Single Action - The trigger performs one action only: releasing the firing mechanism. You set the mechanism by pulling a hammer or slide or because the last shot set the action up for you.
DAK = Double Action Kellerman - particular type of trigger/action that is double action, but with an additional function (I think it's unique to Sig Sauer hand guns
SAO = Single Action Only - Some guns can switch between single action and double action
EDC = Every Day Carry

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Seriously there are so many DA/SA pistols out there. Problem is, a large portion of them are fairly large for concealed carry. The trick is to find one the is DA/SA and small enough to not draw any public attention if you want concealment. And there are some tricky holsters to accomplish that. My Sneaky Pete looks more like a cellphone holder/carrier and nothing like a typical piston holster. But even then, I wear it so it isn't open seen when carrying.

As for a pistol to have in a vehicle, any one of them will work. Something is always better then nothing. If we all knew when there would be trouble, then we would only carry during that time. But it doesn't work that way... Just my $0.02 cents worth.

harringtondav

Commander
I still have my S&W Model 60 stainless 38 special 2" bbl.. I bought it on the advice of a police detective friend. He used one for an ankle holster back up. He said wheel guns don't jamb.

Five S&W 38 special SJHP are enough for defense for me. The size/weight fire power is a nice package. If I can't defend myself with five rounds, another six, seven probably wouldn't matter.

southkogs

Staff member
Hey southcogs, fyi bullseye is adding a range. Just started foundation.
HEY! That's great - the other one in town it PRICEY. I normally shoot out at the TWRA range, but it's been closed due to COVID.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
HEY! That's great - the other one in town it PRICEY. I normally shoot out at the TWRA range, but it's been closed due to COVID.

Don't know what ranges you all are referring to, but closing a shooting range over Covid-19 seem funny. I mean how close do you all shoot at that range...:eek:

I certainly don't make it a habit to shoot any gun within six feet of anyone when I am at the range. But that is just me... lol :laugh:

southkogs

Staff member
TWRA are state run ranges. While I'm not nuts about EVERYTHING Tennessee has done during COVID, they haven't done too bad overall. Yeah, the range itself wouldn't be too difficult to control, lots of other aspects would have been tougher - that's one of their regional education centers too. I'm not raising a ruckus over it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If you want to shoot pistols or shotguns, c'mon down. One house too close for rifles. But a friend a few miles away has a place for that.

bigdee

Commander
My criteria for CC;
  • DA only
  • 9mm
  • inexpensive (expensive pistols are for the range)
  • reliable
  • 2nd strike capability
  • NO safety
I carry a SCCY 9mm, double stack,no safety and chambered and ready to fire. Since it is DA it is not cocked until I pull the trigger....I don't like carrying a mouse trap in my pocket.

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wife carries her Sig p365 9mm 13rds. Easier for her to rack than H&k