New pistol for carry

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The eternal debate :)

The two competing arguments (as I've heard ... and I hijack Heinzs' topic) is that a revolver is a subset of the pistol world (semi-autos, derringers, revolvers, etc), or that a revolver is a handgun with multiple rotating chambers and that a pistol has an integrated chamber that is stationary.

it goes bang, it is a gun/weapon. short story.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly didn't realize so many people never heard of a "wheel gun" before. But then being around guns for decades now :facepalm: (I am getting so old) that I never actually thought about it.

So many time I use the term "shoot a wheel load", meaning a revolver capacity (usually 6 rounds). In fact I actually won a first place awards one year for taking the biggest buck with a revolver at a local Buck-a-Rama. I used a Ruger Super Black Hawk in 44 mag. Single action for sure, but amazingly accurate too. All my hard hitting guns are revolvers.

The auto types are "hot" but can't come close to the ammo I load for revolver hunting...with one exception. I also hunted with a Thompson Contender in 30 Herrett. Talk about long range capability...yeah! I have a 2 power scope on top of that single shot break-open pistol and can't use it like most any rifle. I also have a 357 Herrett, 7mm TCU, 44 mag, 45/410 shot shell TC, and a few more.

And to tell the 100% truth, not one of my guns has ever shot anyone whatsoever. In fact not one of them has gone off by itself either. I guess I purchase quality guns...go figure!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I never heard it called a wheel gun until this moment. I have a 38 Special, Great Western Arms 4.75" barrel, older firearm, pre '64.. And a Ruger .22. As Kogs, I have a Ruger, but a Mark II Target .22. Government model with the flat sided barrel.

Open carry? Not sure I'd want to advertise I'm packing, advantage perp to get the 1st shot off....

I'm looking to get a semi auto for our travels. Maybe a double action, no safety to be concerned with in the heat of the moment... I hear Ammo and guns are flying off the shelves , again....

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I never heard it called a wheel gun until this moment. I have a 38 Special, Great Western Arms 4.75" barrel, older firearm, pre '64.. And a Ruger .22. As Kogs, I have a Ruger, but a Mark II Target .22. Government model with the flat sided barrel.

Open carry? Not sure I'd want to advertise I'm packing, advantage perp to get the 1st shot off....

I'm looking to get a semi auto for our travels. Maybe a double action, no safety to be concerned with in the heat of the moment... I hear Ammo and guns are flying off the shelves , again....

WIMUSKY, whatever you decide for a carry gun, just make it whatever YOU feel comfortable carrying and shooting. Too many think they have to have a bazooka to dispatch a criminal, when a gun you can easily handle and shoot will do the job adequately, even more so. If the "recoil" is more then you can handle, then it is basically useless. A gun that you can shoot and hit your target, is the best gun regardless of caliber or knock-down capability. I mean if you can't hit your target, a cannon is useless...

As for a double-action first shot, there are tons of offerings out there. And you are correct, a double-action first shot allows you to carry with that first round already cambered. But there is virtually noway for it to go off, unless YOU pull that double-action trigger. You can't drop it and have it fire, and you can hit it and make it fire either. It has to have a person squeeze that first round. So a very safe carry type gun. Look for Double-Action, Single-Action types. That way the first round takes a heck of a lot more effort to fire the first round, and then a lot less effort to fire the remaining rounds. Perfect for a carry gun or even one to keep inside a vehicle... JMHO

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Even though I owned a hand gun 40 years ago when I joined a gun club as a Canadian it is strange to read about so many folks that carry or are in possession of hand guns. 90% of my 1st cousins a a few uncles in the USA all have hand gun permits. A few will conceal and carry permits. Believe it or not Canadians own more firearms per capita than Americans at least 15 years back when I learned that. We are talking long guns however.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
TONS of folks carry here, open and concealed, it's getting to a point where no one really asks ;)

I wish it was more common. When I'm in a situation with most everyone carrying openly I just feel relaxed. Odd for some to understand.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My OPINION. People that go through the effort to get a concealed carried license are not the usual person causing any problems in society. It is the thugs that buy black market guns out of the back of a car that want them for criminal reasons that are the problems. But some people wants everybody to think all gun owners are the problem. Nothing could be further from the truth...

America has more guns owned by the general public then the number of citizens. But that doesn't mean every citizen owns a gun. Gun owners usually own many guns and that is the reason for those numbers. But I am not a criminal and don't like being labeled as such by certain people, simply because I choose to own guns.

southkogs

Staff member
We're starting to drift on this topic a little. Just a reminder to keep it in between the lines ;)

aspeck

Staff member
I tried to convince my wife to take my LCP so I could get a conceal carry with a bigger handle, but she feels the LCP is too small for her petite hands also. She does like the LCP II or the M&P. So ... guess we are going shopping one of these days ... maybe pick up 2 ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
WIMUSKY, whatever you decide for a carry gun, just make it whatever YOU feel comfortable carrying and shooting. Too many think they have to have a bazooka to dispatch a criminal, when a gun you can easily handle and shoot will do the job adequately, even more so. If the "recoil" is more then you can handle, then it is basically useless. A gun that you can shoot and hit your target, is the best gun regardless of caliber or knock-down capability. I mean if you can't hit your target, a cannon is useless...

As for a double-action first shot, there are tons of offerings out there. And you are correct, a double-action first shot allows you to carry with that first round already cambered. But there is virtually noway for it to go off, unless YOU pull that double-action trigger. You can't drop it and have it fire, and you can hit it and make it fire either. It has to have a person squeeze that first round. So a very safe carry type gun. Look for Double-Action, Single-Action types. That way the first round takes a heck of a lot more effort to fire the first round, and then a lot less effort to fire the remaining rounds. Perfect for a carry gun or even one to keep inside a vehicle... JMHO

I've been around guns since I was a kid so I'll shoot anything. Recoil isn't a concern. Dad, now brother, has a super redhawk I believe. That was fun to shoot with target loads. Put a magnum in it and you felt it. Wouldn't be fun to plink all day.

He also had, bro has that too, a Ruger 9mm he bought from a cop. Has some weight to it and felt good in the palm. Bro doesn't want to part with it...

The reason I thought double action was I wouldn't have to mess with a safety, point and shoot. But the last double I shot had a pretty stiff trigger. Don't want that either. With my single .38 I obviously have to pull the hammer back for every shot, too slow....

I want knock down power with my first shot even if it isn't placed right. Don't feel like carrying around my .06 semi.. lol. Or my SKS with a 20rd clip... Extremely accurate tho...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Funny how felt recoil is relative. When I introduce a person to guns, and actually shooting them, I always start out with a 22 pistol. And I make absolutely sure they are wearing proper ear and eye protection first! Then I start with an old Ruger Standard model. After they are comfortable shooting that, I step up to some plinking 38 special or light loaded 9mm loads. And then they seem to enjoy those rounds, I ask them it they want to move up to heavier recoil type guns. If so, then I switch to hotter loads from each of those type guns. Seem after a while, they are liking the recoil and want to move up even further. Then out comes hunting 357 mag loads. Usually that is their stopping point. And that is okay too. Then we drop back to 22's and it is like a cap gun to them in comparison. But they also seem to make a decision on what they like and start talking about buying a gun for themselves.

So many people try to impress a potential gun shooter/owner with heavy loaded 357 mag and/or 44 mag, from the get go and literally scare off a potential gun owner. Not the proper way it should be, in my opinion. JMHO!

True story. I once had a reputation of being able to shoot extremely accurate and could easily ignore recoil. So every hunting season that trolled around I was asked if I could zero in a lot of people's hunting rifles and scopes for them.

One time I had to zero 13 rifles at the range at one setting. As it was getting dark, they arranged their vehicles so their headlight shined on the down range targets. And I ALWAYS used bench rest stands and sand bags. After I zeroed the rifles in, the owners would always ask if they could shoot their rifle to see if they could hit the target. I would say, of course, it is your rifle after all.

Well one guy bought a new 7mm mag. with a nice variable Leapold scope on top. It was the latest craze at that time and seems like everyone just had to have a 7mm Magnum for the season. So I took the typical 3 to 5 rounds and was hitting target center before the third round. So the owner ask to shoot the rifle. He couldn't even hit the paper. And said it wasn't zeroed. So I took three more rounds, and target center and nice grouping. So he shot his rifle again and didn't hit the paper again.

I watched him shoot, and he was so scared of that 7mm mag recoil, he literally turned his head and closed his eyes as he pull the trigger... We all started laughing because he bought more gun then he could shoot because of the heavy recoil. But he had to have one from peer pressure.

ezbtr

Commander
Oh, correction, almost everyone here carries concealed, some open, as in rifle rack in truck

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A wheel gun refers to a revolver. It’s called that because it has a cylinder that revolves like a wheel. Been called that as long as I can remember and I’m 70.

I hope 'm not going too far off he rails mods.

I've never heard that when referring to a revolver even at the range but I actually figured it out myself.

While on the subject I have another question. My nephew is a Cop in a large southern Ontario city, the one that has a baseball team. Anyway before I digress further they carry 9MM Glocks. My question is what US gun manufacturer makes an equivilent 9MM? If there is one. And what do most US law enforcement individuals carry? 2 questions I guess. I must digress, it's my nature, our MLB team won back to back World Series and there was actually 1 Canuck on the roster. edit: I checked, not on the roster but in the farm system.

Talking about conceal in summer garb I have a solution. I was at our place in Florida around 35 years ago and went into my local bait shop for some shrimp. Fishin' Frank asked me what I was carrying? I had no idea what he was talking about. He pointed to my fanny pack. Then he showed me his. It was actually a holster for a smaller caliber hand gun with enough room for a few plastic cards. A fanny pack fits in perfectly with summer T shirts and shorts. A snub nose 38 would fit in a fanny pack holster I think, a 38 has some stopping power does it not?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
S&W makes a 9mm double action

The USCG went to the P299 DAK 40cal S&W

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Actually both the 38 Special and 9mm can be loaded nearly the same capability and knock-down ability. They both are nearly identical in diameter where 38 Special uses a .357 diameter bullet and a 9mm uses a .355 diameter bullet. Any quality 38 revolver can handle 38 + P ammo. So it is basically a toss up...

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I wish it was more common. When I'm in a situation with most everyone carrying openly I just feel relaxed. Odd for some to understand.

You have no idea how strange it sounds to someone from another country to see people talking about handguns like they were favorite brands of shoes or cell phones! If I went into a store and saw people walking around with guns on their hips i would leave in a hurry! To each their own, I guess....I don't know one person who owns a handgun!

southkogs

Staff member
My nephew is a Cop in a large southern Ontario city, the one that has a baseball team. Anyway before I digress further they carry 9MM Glocks. My question is what US gun manufacturer makes an equivilent 9MM? If there is one.
Lotsa' LEO carry Glocks. Very good guns. But Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Taurus, Walther and Sigs tend to be popular service weapons too. Lots of military units still carrying the Barettas.