New Outboard on my 8'8" inflatable

andrewt12

Cadet
Upgrading the motor on my 8'8" inflatable, the motors im looking at are (all 2012 models) Evinrude 6hp,Yamaha 6hp 2 stroke, Yamaha 6hp 4 stroke , and a honda 5hp. I really like the honda because of the price, but i would really like a 6 hp, which one should i go with ? and btw i had a 2.5 merc 2 stroke on there now so one these will be a big improvement. I only use the boat as a tender to my bigger boat i should point out, and my kids like taking it out.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: New Outboard on my 8'8" inflatable

All are fine. The Evinrude, Mercury, Nissan and Tohatsu are all the same engine with a different decal. The Honda is an old primitive design that works well, but all outboards are fine from a qualitative standpoint.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have any of those particular motors, so I can't comment much (my 20hp 2 yr. old Yamaha 4 stroke has been a flawless performer, and the dealership experience has been great)
2 suggestions, though:

If you are doing your own maintenance, consider the ease of accessibility to filters, plugs, etc. Also, look at weight comparisons, which may or may not matter to you. Good luck.
Larry

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

There are no problems with with Yamaha's in that size range.

andrewt12

Cadet

[yeah i wouldn't say there can be much to go wrong with a motor of these size. i like the evinrude because its light weight (55lbs) every other motor im looking at are 60lbs, and i think now its between the evinrude and honda, just gotta go to the dealers and see witch one will be the best deal. Thanks for the help