New Member Intro / My '87 20' Thompson Cuddy Project

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site, figured I'd share photos of my project boat for the past 6 years. I have a 1987 Thompson Carrera 198 cuddy cabin cruiser. Acquired the boat on eBay (1st mistake), in December 2005 (2nd mistake), for $1500 (3rd mistake). Boat came complete with shoreline single axle trailer and was listed as "turn key" - just needed some interior TLC...:rolleyes:...ha laughable since the seller never even found the keys when he delivered it.
Long story short, I got eventually got the non-turn key motor running with a bit of work, but that season of 2006 presented more problems (blown out engine coupler, leaking power steering, and later to my dismay complete engine failure). Upon tearing apart the original 180LX 4bbl 470, I discovered it had already been rebuilt w/ .040 pistons, one of which had seized rings and a chunk off its top. I also later found a crack in the head btwn. int. & ex. valves.

Spring 2008 I find a 'new' used 470 (what I believed to be good running) engine. But upon taking out the old motor I discovered transom and floor rot. I end up ripping apart the entire interior and R/R my transom, partial stringers, and floor. (I lost count now at how many wrong turns I've made up to this point :facepalm:).
Later in the season I get the boat back on the water again with the new engine, only to have it spring the infamous water pump/cam seal leak. After that I've been too discouraged to touch the boat since and have kept it dry and sitting in my backyard for the past 3 years.

Now that I am finished with college and have a steady job, I have rekindled thoughts on finishing the project once and for all! (famous last words)
I have being wrestling in my head the whole summer what to do with it, whether to sell/junk the boat or actually finish it. I keep coming to the conclusion that while its been an absolute PITA, I have gained so much valuable knowledge and skills in restoring this old boat that it would kind of be a shame to give up on it now...and it hasn't been costing me money just sitting there. I'm kind of looking at it like a clean slate, and I at least know all the major hull issues are now solid.

Well that's my story, I'll let the pictures do some of the talking. Some exciting news: I may have found my motor: An inline 6 mercruiser 165 package completely rebuilt w/ 0hrs for sale locally that I am considering as a re-power option. Please help me out if anybody has any more information on this type of motor and its adaptability to a gen1 alpha. Thanks!

n68301927_30411332_9176.jpg

n68301927_30405460_591.jpg

n68301927_30405461_878.jpg

emoney

Commander
Re: New Member Intro / My '87 20' Thompson Cuddy Project

Welcome to iboats!!! You've come this far, no sense in turning back now. And don't look at those things as "mistakes" but the far easier to swallow "learning opportunities". It's the same thing with "problems"; they're not problems but "challenges".

You're at the right place to get all the help you could ever need and you have a good start with posting lots of pics so keep up the good work and good luck on the motor swap.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The experts here can help you with any problems involving your boat, motor and trailer. While I make no claim to be an expert, my neighbor had the Mercruiser 165 inline six package in his 21ft T-Craft cruiser and it served him well for many years with no engine problems and just routine maintenance on the outdrive. The boat was heavy but it performed very well with the modest horsepower and no trim tabs This was pre-GPS so no exact data. Hope this helps. Good luck!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats!!! You've come this far, no sense in turning back now. And don't look at those things as "mistakes" but the far easier to swallow "learning opportunities". It's the same thing with "problems"; they're not problems but "challenges".

You're at the right place to get all the help you could ever need and you have a good start with posting lots of pics so keep up the good work and good luck on the motor swap.

Yes, even though I sound quite negative in my story, I am actually optimistic about the whole thing. Like I said, I have learned so much and gained valuable skills throughout the process. Feels good to restart the project after 2-3 years :) I just really hope that inline six will fit!

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The experts here can help you with any problems involving your boat, motor and trailer. While I make no claim to be an expert, my neighbor had the Mercruiser 165 inline six package in his 21ft T-Craft cruiser and it served him well for many years with no engine problems and just routine maintenance on the outdrive. The boat was heavy but it performed very well with the modest horsepower and no trim tabs This was pre-GPS so no exact data. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome, I have heard many good things about that motor. I really hope it fits, i need more measurements and I'm trying to find factory installation drawings/dimensions. Having trouble finding anything though... The seller is really giving it away for an incredible price I need to jump on this deal!

Willyclay

Captain

I really hope it fits, i need more measurements and I'm trying to find factory installation drawings/dimensions. Having trouble finding anything though...

If you don't find everything you need at the link below, start a new thread in the Merc I/O forum where gurus like Don S and Bond-o hang out. Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=329915