New Journey

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I used a spray bottle so a hose is a major step up. lol

SHSU

MNhunter1

Ensign
Finally got some painting started! Used Alumahawk on the inside hull that will remain visible. Rolled out pretty poorly and decided to topcoat it with some Rustleum Pro spray cans, which didn't provide the best finish either. Likely a combination of the underlying roller marks from the dry flat Alumahawk and the gloss topcoat. Not terrible, but under the LED lights in my garage or outside in the full sun, just looks a bit uneven. Debating whether to try to even it out a bit, or just let it be. They unfortunately don't make the dark machine grey in anything but gloss or spray bombs, so I can't just pick up a quart to roll over the larger flats. Probably won't be that noticeable after the gunnels, side supports, and deck/bow deck are in. (included pic is the Alumahawk, before the Rusto topcoat)

The Duralux rolled out nicely, just as it did with my Nova. Really like the finish and color of this paint. Making me eager to start on the rest of the pieces and get the deck installed and supports all riveted in before painting the outside hull (really want my solids and 5200 in and against bare aluminum and the way the deck supports are engineered to rivet to the hull and screw into the deck, the deck needs to be in before I can re-install/rivet the supports back in place.

Paint1.jpgPaint2.jpgPaint3.jpgPaint4.jpgPaint5.jpg

MNhunter1

Ensign
Broke out the HF HVLP that’s been sitting new in the box for the past 10+ years and popped my HVLP cherry. Initial clean and spraying went just fine, but clean up was a little messy 😁. Wasn’t happy with my original roller job on the inside of the hull, but happy now. Wanted a dull finish, so found some decoy/duck boat paint. Happy to have overcome my hesitation with the HVLP.
2B0A84CA-E2BC-42ED-930C-2BDF55DD6803.jpegC255C0A5-ED82-4405-8C4E-FFCF98FA7790.jpeg6419094F-9488-4D67-AC6C-5D7A1D7DE994.jpeg

MNhunter1

Ensign
Still checking the forums every day, but haven't been the best at posting, nor made much for progress on the MR180. Kids, life, hunting season...excuses, excuses:) Anyway, digging back in and starting to give her some more attention. Unfortunately, after several emails back and forth with the paint supplier I've been using (ICPgroup/Pro Solutions, re: Duralux M736 Aluminum Boat Green), I have just been informed the product has been discontinued. All attempts to locate any remaining in-stock supply have been unsuccessful. I have approximately 1/2 a gallon remaining, which won't be enough to finish what still has yet to be painted, including the outside hull. Looks like I'll be using what remains as a primer coat for whatever direction/color I decide to go with moving forward. Frustrating, as I really liked the color, durability, and the vinyl like finish of the paint.

Anyway, hope everyone is well and its good to still see some progress being made over these winter months. Hopefully I'll get the ball rolling here and have some content to add as well. In the meantime - if anyone happens to come across any stock of Duralux M736 Aluminum Boat Paint Green - please let me know!

Cheers from MN!

MNhunter1

Ensign
I sent them an email on Monday, but haven't heard anything back. What I discovered through multiple phone calls to different companies/suppliers, was that most don't typically hold any physical inventory and the product ships direct from the manufacturer. Looks like I'm changing from green to gray and using the original Duralux as a primer coat:)

MNhunter1

Ensign
I'm looking at replacing the wooden uprights for my flip flop seat with some aluminum flat bar as shown in the attached pictures. The current wood pieces measures 2" wide and 7/8" thick, assuming teak? If I were to use a 6061 aluminum flat bar, would 2" x 1/2" of similar length be sufficient for strength?

Still torn about just re-using the existing wood, but would want a durable finish to resist rubbing. Paint, black stain, powder coat? Just don't want to be looking at bare wood down the road.
84211.11.jpgRHBoats1.jpg

SHSU

Wood looks nice, but that bottom seat pic seems much easier to maintain. Plus if you need to replace anything, its not like having to reprep wood for paint.

SHSU

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2x1/2 aluminum sounds more than sufficient to me, you might want to be sure the side guides are tight to the bars to prevent any side to side wobble though. If you're still worried you could make them from stainless, or if you live near a metal finisher you might be able to get some mild steel electroless nickel plated (super abrasion corrosion resist)

I like the wood look, but my research on any outdoor coating all shows that even if the clear finish is UV resistant, the wood will still degrade causing coating failure and then bare wood. I wanted to make a nice wood dash but decided against it since I don't want to maintain the finish every year.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm looking at replacing the wooden uprights for my flip flop seat with some aluminum flat bar as shown in the attached pictures. The current wood pieces measures 2" wide and 7/8" thick, assuming teak? If I were to use a 6061 aluminum flat bar, would 2" x 1/2" of similar length be sufficient for strength?

Still torn about just re-using the existing wood, but would want a durable finish to resist rubbing. Paint, black stain, powder coat? Just don't want to be looking at bare wood down the road.
View attachment 374631View attachment 374632
should you choose to replace wood and have no other home for it, lmk.

MNhunter1

Ensign
should you choose to replace wood and have no other home for it, lmk.
I did replace the uprights with stainless bar, and the side mounts/supports with HDPE. Happy to send my originals your way as I have no use for them. Just shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Just checking in. Slow movement on the MR180 w/ other distractions and obligations, but I started to tear into the old Tower of Power. Fuel pump, carbs, water pump getting some love. IMG_3478.jpegIMG_3477.jpeg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
how is getting parts for that motor? I'm thinking I might should stock on on some basics for mine before they go nla.

MNhunter1

Ensign
I guess I'm a bit overdue for an update. had a little debacle with the paint I had originally planned on using being discontinued, so I had to switch gears and change up my plans. Stripped everything I had originally painted back to bare metal and started over again. Settled on a commercial grade Rustoleum primer and marine paint from Kush Paints. Seems to have a pretty good following and reputation with many of the duck boat/diver tender builders, so figured it should provide for a good, durable finish. Got all my interior pieces/panels, console, livewell, seat, etc. all primed and one coat of paint. I'll hit them all again before final assembly. Also managed to get my aluminum transom plate back buttered with 5200 and clamped into place. Once everything cures, I'll mount up the transom and get the deck installed.

I have to admit, life has gotten in the way a bit and the old girl has been a bit neglected. I promised my kids it would be water ready next spring, so time to get back in the grind.

Paint01.jpgPaint02.jpgPaint04.jpgPaint05.jpgPaint06.jpgPaint03.jpg

SHSU

Those are some nice fish for bank fishing!!!!

SHSU

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Glad to have you back in the saddle. Paint looks nice!