New guy - starter wire question

GrandPaulZ

Recruit
Howdy.

Volvo Penta 4 cyl. inboard/outboard marine starter issues - Sunbird 17' ski boat.

Keyswitch does not engage the starter.

Rebuild, cleaned & lubed everything, all assembled correctly (I've done starters and alternators for years, no rocket science)

Wires to starter are hooked up correctly, Reds to main input, purple on the left of solenoid, yel/red on the right, starter winding to main output.

Battery has very good voltage, if I short the main terminals the motor spins. If I short to the yel/red wire from 12v, motor spins but solenoid doesn't kick out the bendix gear.

I'm in a crunch situation to leave tomorrow and need to know if I can direct wire a momentary contact push button to the purple wire (with key on) will that work? My keyswitch may be flaked on the starter contact, all other electricals work fine.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Key on start sends 12v from the ign switch, thru the control box neutral safety. then to the slave solenoid that sends 12v to the mail solenoid to activate the starter

kenny nunez

Captain
Are you sure that the yellow/red on the ignition switch is not putting 12v when turned to start? As boat doc posted, the 12v has to go through the control box before energizing the boost/ slave solenoid. Check the wires under the gauge panel also.

GrandPaulZ

Recruit
Yep, I'll be re-doing a lot of the wiring after this weekend. Just needed it to be able to start and run for a couple of days.