New Engines Crank but underlying issues to work through

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After two months in the grueling Va heat with an occasional sunday off for golf...who am i kidding every sunday for golf..Anyway back to my story..Got both engines up and running with little to no issues today. There are a couple small issues that are still hanging over my head..
1) STBD Engine will not shut off with key...Leaning towards the alternator taking it to get tested tomorrow.
2) Bought a used raw water pump from poor mans boat yard and rebuilt it with new bearing, oring, and seals but the telltale hole is leaking water so I think i have to get another one and return this one...and rebuild it...only takes 15 min or so
3) STBD engine seemed to be heating up on the hose so I am thinking not enough water flowing...cause possibly the raw water pump not moving water efficiently? Have to keep working this one.
4)STBD Trim cylinders will trim up but not back down on the switch...bot relays tested good so they are not the issue. I have 10 new upgraded relays coming to change out those I feel need to be more durable and those are on the list.

I have to get the STBD engine right and working properly planing on dropping in water on thursday afternoon and will be stuck there until next sept so trying to make the most of tomorrow and thursday am.THis is the engine with the power steering hooked up if not I have to use the jumper from the port engine. either way I will be sipping on my evening beer as they play colors on the base next door from my boat..."FAMILY AFFAIR"

ONe other question:: SInce I have the flushing system on my boat and the VP outdrives pickup cooling water under the hood/helmet/hat what ever it is called do I need to hook up muffs? I could see hooking them up if I am turning the outdrive so it can cool it but other wise doesnt the flushing system go though the entire engine just getting water from a different pick up point? Not sure that is why I am asking this is a new system to me and I cannot find the book anywhere

tHANKKS
joe

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what are you working on?

1 - if its a VP, check the diode in the harness near the alternator.

2 - a new pump is about $140

3 - do you have the raw water pump plumbed correctly? were you plumbed directly into the raw water pump, or using muffs? if using muffs, check the raw water fitting at the drive

4. - doubt its the relays, if the pump is running, but not moving it may be the check valve.

ok, you mention VP in the last paragraph. if you want a manual. go to the VP site https://www.volvopenta.com/marineleisure/en-en/for-owners/your-engine/manuals---handbooks.html

or view the manuals here http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html (you will need your computer, not your phone)

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what are you working on?

1 - if its a VP, check the diode in the harness near the alternator.

2 - a new pump is about $140

3 - do you have the raw water pump plumbed correctly? were you plumbed directly into the raw water pump, or using muffs? if using muffs, check the raw water fitting at the drive

4. - doubt its the relays, if the pump is running, but not moving it may be the check valve.

ok, you mention VP in the last paragraph. if you want a manual. go to the VP site https://www.volvopenta.com/marinelei...handbooks.html

or view the manuals here http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html (you will need your computer, not your phone)

1) It is a VP and i have torn the entire wiring harness apart replacing wires that were bad and have yet to see a diode. I cant find one on the port engine either but it shuts off.
2) Where is the $140 pump everything I have seen is 300+. I paid $100 for the one I rebuilt.
3) I have muffs on but not sure what good they do with the DP-SM drive on the back. Unsure how the water with muff would get to the engine since there is a pickup point inside the housing..I do have a flushing ports that are plumbed directly into the engines. It is going back in the water tomorrow so I will sort that out when I am at the dock.
4) Not the relays but I am going to pull the pump and go through it though. May wait a few more days to put boat back in water.
2000 Chris Craft 308 Express with newly rebuilt 350's with TBI and DP-SM Volvo Penta Outdrives...Since I did not post it...oh yeah and I have a manual on my tablet that I used to rebuild everything from 305's..
Thanks
Joe