New Engine Replacement - Engine Died and Hydro locked after 5 hrs!?

CaptnO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Inside only for inspection
The transom is 2 to 2 1/4 thick. Your looking for soft spots

The way screws should be installed on the outside thru the gelcoat is:
Drill a whole larger then the screw. Like at least 1/4 diameter for a #8 screw. Then fill hole with Epoxy like marinetex. The epoxy dries then drill hole screw. This way if water gets in around the screw it doesn't touch the wood
What do you mean? Most threads that I have read just use marine 4000ev or 4200 FC apply it into the screw hole then seal around the item you are installing. Both have bonding and sealing properties.

CaptnO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I’ve always been curious how much our boat weighs but it’s difficult to find a place with a CAT scale here, I finally found a recycling place local to me that can weigh it, I might bring it over there in the spring to see how much it weighs. The dry weight of this boat was listed at 2650 lbs, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s between 3100-3500 lbs.
Good to see that nothing came out of your transom! And this gives you a great opportunity to re-bed all of that hardware. Can you remove the screws holding in the garboard drain?
You mean the 3 screws where the drain plug goes?

alldodge

Staff member
4000 and 4200 is great stuff, but to do holes correctly where they will never leak water into the wood, we drill bigger holes and then fill with epoxy. If a holes is drilled just for the screw, even 4200 may not be able to keep all the water out over time.

Even the screws you removed already may have water inside, only way to know, is either;
drill the hole bigger and see if the wood is wet
or check for water inside the transom

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You mean the 3 screws where the drain plug goes?
Yes those 3
Using thickened epoxy will create a waterproof plug in the transom which you will then re-drill for the screw after the epoxy cures.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure how those Cat scales work. I just went there a weighed the whole boat on trailer.
Was your boat attached to your truck or did you take it off and have the tongue jack on one of the separate scales?

DBIdaho

Cadet
Inside only for inspection
The transom is 2 to 2 1/4 thick. Your looking for soft spots

The way screws should be installed on the outside thru the gelcoat is:
Drill a whole larger then the screw. Like at least 1/4 diameter for a #8 screw. Then fill hole with Epoxy like marinetex. The epoxy dries then drill hole screw. This way if water gets in around the screw it doesn't touch the wood
serious pro tip there. Thanks. I did not know that. Will definitely use that process if/when I add something below the waterline.

DBIdaho

Cadet
Okay Ill do that then for all the holes. Thanks
drilling the holes out bigger should give you and idea of moisture content. You should also be able to get the prongs from a moisture meter in there. Here is the moisture meter i have for construction and it is highly accurate.

If you don't, get one, you might be able to tell by feel of the drill shavings.

CaptnO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes those 3
Using thickened epoxy will create a waterproof plug in the transom which you will then re-drill for the screw after the epoxy cures.
Okay I will remove that one as well tomorrow.
Was your boat attached to your truck or did you take it off and have the tongue jack on one of the separate scales?
I removed the truck from the scale and have the tongue jack. Not sure if it was a separate scale or not regardless the total gross weight was the important factor which was the 8240lb
I did some more math to include the dual batteries, 8 speakers, AMP, Sub, GPS Radome, Wake tower and fenders. Which came out to a total of 285 lbs

So subtracting that minus the trailer 1300lbs, Fuel 493, water capacity 125, Holding tank 116. I am now at 5921 lbs. dry weight. I am still over be 721 lbs based on the dry spec of 5200 lbs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I removed the truck from the scale and have the tongue jack. Not sure if it was a separate scale or not regardless the total gross weight was the important factor which was the 8240lb
That was the answer to my question.

Just a BTW, 500# is a very light tongue weight, even for a boat tandem trailer, with 8340# total. Kinda points to a lot of weight towards the rear of the trailer.

My boat/trailer is around 6500# and I am at 600# tongue weight.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The trailer axles do look like they are too far forward.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So subtracting that minus the trailer 1300lbs, Fuel 493, water capacity 125, Holding tank 116. I am now at 5921 lbs. dry weight. I am still over be 721 lbs based on the dry spec of 5200 lbs.
Something isn’t right. At that rate your looking for a lake, not moisture.

The advertised weight of an even #5200 is suspicious. Smallest motor to largest motor with no weight difference?

I would call the factory to confirm the weight of your particular boat as configured before I start tearing apart a boat for a problem that may or may not exist

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That's what I said earlier, if even 10 gallons of water comes out of that boat I'll be surprised and that's only 80 lbs! The only way I can imagine it being more than that is if there were cavities that should have been filled with foam that were not filled and those got filled with water. It goes back to a problem that is very common in the boating industry, a lack of accurate data about something that is important to know, especially for proper trailer selection. As an example, F/W gave 2560 as the weight for my old boat, yet when they specified a trailer for it, they specify a trailer (single axle) with a carrying capacity of 3760 lbs. As if they know that their dry weights are not really reliable estimates of what the boat really weighs.

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nada guides indicate the smallest engine option for this boat was a 3.0 L. The dry weight spec. probably included this engine. According to VP data the difference in weight of this engine to the 5.7 L is 282 lbs. If that helps at all!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It's a 26 foot boat! I'm sure that none of these ever came with a 3.0 I/O.... that just shows that NADA doesn't have the right information either!

CaptnO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nada guides indicate the smallest engine option for this boat was a 3.0 L. The dry weight spec. probably included this engine. According to VP data the difference in weight of this engine to the 5.7 L is 282 lbs. If that helps at all!

Nada actually shows the 300hp engine with there 5200lb weight. 2004-Chaparral-Boats-Prices-Values-NADAguides.png
2004-Chaparral-Boats-260-SSI-Price-Used-Value-Specs-NADAguides.png

Anyways, the shop is going to have their fiberglass guy come by and use his moisture meter on my boat. In the meantime I will be putting on higher risers on the boat and see if the issue does go away.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest don't keep buying things unless you don't like money, then pass it my way :ROFLMAO:

Once you find out why your over weight, then your going to need that money and even more just to fix. If your hull is soaked, then the boat needs to be gutted, fuel tank, water tank, holding tank all comes out.

My aluminum water tank started leaking years ago, so I replaced it. Cut the deck, pulled it out and installed new plastic tank. Water will eat thru aluminum over time. What I didn't know when replacing the water tank, is that all that water flowed into and under the fuel tank. So guess what, I had to go back at it again and remove the fuel tank

CaptnO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Suggest don't keep buying things unless you don't like money, then pass it my way :ROFLMAO:

Once you find out why your over weight, then your going to need that money and even more just to fix. If your hull is soaked, then the boat needs to be gutted, fuel tank, water tank, holding tank all comes out.

My aluminum water tank started leaking years ago, so I replaced it. Cut the deck, pulled it out and installed new plastic tank. Water will eat thru aluminum over time. What I didn't know when replacing the water tank, is that all that water flowed into and under the fuel tank. So guess what, I had to go back at it again and remove the fuel tank
Higher risers will make the boat safer to prevent water getting ingested. Plus I can sell the original risers since they are practically brand new. Might take a small loss on them but better have the higher ones for better insurance.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Does this boat have a hatch over the gas tank? If so that is one place you can check for water accumulation, sometimes on a bow rider the water will get into the ski locker, and then travel to the gas tank compartment and if there is debris blocking the limber hole it won't wind up in the engine bilge like it's supposed to so it can get pumped out.

CaptnO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does this boat have a hatch over the gas tank? If so that is one place you can check for water accumulation, sometimes on a bow rider the water will get into the ski locker, and then travel to the gas tank compartment and if there is debris blocking the limber hole it won't wind up in the engine bilge like it's supposed to so it can get pumped out.
No I don't believe it does I think the gas tank is in it's own separate compartment. But I would have to believe that the limber hole goes below it as well.

Attachments

• 260ssi gas tank pic.png
    260ssi gas tank pic.png
    2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited: