new dock woes

anne

Cadet
I live on the Elk River in northern Alabama -- about 7 miles up from the mouth where the Elk meets the Tennessee River. I love it, I love water -- this house was my dream. (It's a dream that needs a lotta work, but I like doing that kinda thing, so it's been cool.)<br />My house is on a bluff lot over the river with stairs (LOTS!) down to a floating boat dock. A few years ago I bought a new boat, a 1999 Bayliner Capri w/ a Force 120 outboard. The dock/lift were a little smaller than ideal for it... So, late last year I started thinking it might be time to replace the dock / lift. I looked around and found a company that builds all-aluminum docks with polyethelene encased foam floation; they also had an association with Hydrohoist for boat lift. So this spring, I decided to go for it. And man, that was the end of our enjoying the water for this season...<br /><br />The salesman had suggested an anchoring system with large collars on the dock encasing spud poles which would be dropped onto the bottom to anchor. We get a lot of wind and wake at our site, so I asked if he was sure that would work, "yes, they do this all the time blah blah blah". I asked if they could use the driven steel pilings that anchored the old dock "no, can't be certain of their integrity...". Ok, it sounded kinda funky, but that's what this company does, right -- they oughta know what will work... So i thought.
frown.gif
<br />The dock structure itself is beautiful. But man, have we had a time with it. For the first month, it moved, it really moved. That anchoring system did NOT work. The dock moved around and ended up with railing of the ramp contacting one of the uprights of the dock -- with any wave action, metal on metal so lotsa wear there (the dock is not attached to the ramp, the end of the ramp has some little wheels which allow it to roll on a platform on the dock). When it looked imminent the dang dock was going to leave the site entirely and "set sail", the company sent someone out to cable the dock to a tree until a permanent solution could be made...<br /><br />Finally the company got a pile driving crew to come out and drive new steel pilings to anchor the dock. So all should be well, right? The next weekend, the dock had the funkiest movement -- we finally saw that the pilings were binding in the collars (about 4-foot long aluminum collars) and when the water level dropped (we're on a lake w/ a TVA dam -- the water level can fluctuate a foot or so in the summer; in winter they drop the water about 5 feet below full summer pool) the dock was essentially "hanging" on one of the pilings and kind of pivoting on that point.<br />Did I mention we now call the dock "Galloping Girdy"??? Being on it really reminds ya of the suspension bridge by that name that finally disentegrated.<br /><br />The company that orginally installed the dock <br />removed the collar that seemed to be binding the most and put in a smaller loop to hold the dock to that piling. Wow, when that collar came off, we could see why it was binding -- the piling is driven very, very crooked. The water has raised a bit, and now it seems the other piling is binding. It's more difficult to tell with the large collar covering most of the piling that is out of the water, but apparently that one is crooked, too.<br />What a mess. This has gone on all summer, and has really been a bummer.<br /><br />The piling without the collar, now that it can be seen, looks just awful -- it's very badly out of plumb. I shudder to think what will happen when they start dropping the lake level in late summer -- I seriously doubt the pilings are crooked in parallel, so I'd imagine the whole dock may bind enough at some point to... who knows? really cause some damage.<br /><br />I am so bad at dealing with things like this. <br />The company has been very slow at responding, and every step seems to just reveal another problem.<br /><br />On the bright side, the HydroHoist lift (which was installed over a month after the dock "completion", but at least it's there now) works wonderfully! It is terrific. Now if we only had reasonable anchorage for the dock...<br /><br />This has gone on for almost two months now. Here's a lesson learned -- don't pay a contractor in full until the work is ALL complete AND you're completely satisfied. I trusted them too much, and paid them at the end of the week that they built the dock, even though the lift wasn't installed yet. At that point, I wasn't aware of the anchoring problems. I think they might be more responsive if there was still an outstanding balance...<br /><br />At this point I'm wondering how long it will take to fix the piling situation. They are really off; I don't think anything besides pulling them back out and driving them again will fix this...<br />Why do folks do work so badly? Don't they know it will come back to them?<br />Sorry this has been so long...<br />This has been sooooo frustrating. If anyone has thoughts on negotiating with contractors, I'd appreciate 'em.<br />I really just want this to be over, and have a dock we can enjoy instead of an albatross that makes my head hurt whenever I see it and think what I paid for it...
frown.gif

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: new dock woes

First Off... you got them in the off-season & I am familar with TN River grew up on lake near Paris Landing & know river like back of my hand.<br /><br />Most everyone I know had thier Docks installed in off season when at winter pool so it would be easier to set pilings in & secure.<br /><br />Have another company/contractor come out & bid on repairs to fix your dock. Take this document & letter giving timeframe on when you want dock finished by original contractor & if he doesnt respond. Then you have quote to fix & sue in small claims court but I really don't think that it will get that far. Since his competition, has seen his work... word will get around to him & it will be fixed to your satifaction. Make sure to keep copies of everything & send certified mail to get ball rolling & do not be afraid to let BBB & any other agency know of your dealings with this company!!!<br /><br />But as I said earlier... better to wait until at winter pool to build dock on TN River...<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />"Keep it between the Bouys" & Good Luck!!!<br /><br />fone_man

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anne: It is said that adversity builds character. You must be becoming one heck of a character.
smile.gif
<br /><br />I wish I had some sage advice for you, but I still believe that one who trusts everyone makes fewer mistakes than one who trusts noone. The problem , of course, is still: who do you trust, and who do you SHOOT!!!<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . . <br />JB
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Anne, just be thankfull you don't live in Florida. It would exacerbate things to have it built in Florida,due to manatees. <br />The "Save the Manatee Club" sued (and won) the FFWC. The FWC attached a "fee" of 545buks to dock permits. And then, you are not gauranteed to GET a permit.<br />It is truely absurd. I quit trying to get a permit to have new pilings put in on an existing dock,as they have denied it twice.<br />I guess when I sue them when my grandbuddy gets hurt, they'll re-think this mess.. Then again,maybee not.<br />Good luck with that contractor. But count your blessings you dont have to deal with the beurocrats.

anne

Cadet

Ugh -- I replied last week, but the reply seems to have been gobbled up within the bulletin board maintenance...<br /><br />Anyhow, fone_man, thank you for your rational suggestions. As I said, I don't handle things like this too well, and I think I'd had trouble thinking of rational, logical actions to take. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau -- perhaps the attention of an outside agency will help motivate them to bring this to a close.<br />I've lived in the area I do for about 9 years -- for some reason, summer is the high season for dock and piling work in this area... You're from Franklin? Do you boat on Percy Priest Lake? It is beautiful. I grew up in middle TN and boated on Center Hill Lake before moving here.<br /><br />JB -- thank YOU for reminding me of something -- hearts work best when open and that requires trust.
smile.gif
Experiences like this can really pump up my cynicism, but I'd rather not hang onto that long-term.<br /><br />mtb? the Georgia person who desribed their dock configuration -- thank you, that sounds like a good arrangement and I hope it continues to float free for you for many years to come!<br /><br />12Footer -- thanks for reminding me of something else -- all in all, I've got it pretty good! I am sorry the FL bureaucracy is rearing its ugly head at ya! Here with TVA we have a similar application structure -- you pay a fee (but it's less than 1/2 what you have to pay) and that is whether the permit is issued or not. To your credit, you've tried to do things "right"; I think such over-regulation prompts people to just start going around the system. Like Grace Hopper used to say, "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission...".<br />If you're not changing the dock footprint, would they know you'd replaced the pilings? What is their purpose for preventing that kind of work? Good luck to you, and I hope your Grandbuddy never gets hurt on the dock or water (or very badly anywhere!).<br /><br />Thanks folks. It helps just to have folks to talk to about stuff like this sometimes.

fone_man

I do TN river @ Cuba Landing up to KY... Dawg, her name is Birdie, who boat is named after "Miss'd Birdie" & luv of Golf, cruise the river. Also, just LUV Center Hill area... cruise up to the falls everytime & chill out!!!<br /><br />Percy Priest has become a "ZOO"... I do not have the patience to go there anymore... lotsa of NEWBIE's & they do not have a clue how to drive a boat/waverunner or much less a CAR for that matter... just no fun anymore. Plus it is "landlocked"!!!<br /><br />Old Hickory lake... as you can see by the places I visit... I like to cruise & chill out... why put gas in your boat to run out & tie with someone.<br /><br />"just wanna have fun"!!!!!!!<br /><br />I hope you get the dock issues resolved quickly... sure summer is prime dock building time... that is when people use their homes & boats & they get to use it!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />"Keep It Between The Bouys" & "Good Luck"!!!<br /><br />fone_man

anne

Cadet

sounds like you boat in some cool places, fone_man.<br /><br />you've made me want to plan a trip up to Center Hill; yup, I wanna go see Burgess Falls! Before they made it a "State Natural Area" (now State Park, I think) we used to take tubes back up in there and play under some of the falls before Burgess. It is really beautiful, and was pretty secluded back then -- not a lotta folks (and not a lotta regulations; it was way, way cool! I'm glad more folks get to appreciate it, but it's kinda sad to see places you loved so much be restricted in ways you can't play at them like you useta. Center Hill is a landlocked lake that is worth it, though!
smile.gif
<br /><br />yeah, waverunners can be a real pain (as you imply, any clueless-to-the-point-of-dangerous boater can be, i guess i'm biased but in my experience the ration of waverunner folks like that is higher...). I think people don't really see them as a "real boat" and comprehend that they need to adhere to the rules of the road, be wary of their wake, etc. just like any other watercraft.<br /><br />Being out on the water in just about any form is my great love. Cruising, skiing, canoeing, swimming, or just hanging out reading and relaxing. I never have gotten into fishing much... But I'll hang out and read while someone fishes, if that's there thing.<br /><br />I love to take my dogs, too. Gordon loves it, the "jury is still out" on it for my puppy Ziggy.<br /><br />Maybe prompted by the BBB complaint, the dock company sent the salesman and sales manager out to look at the dock in its current state and take pictures. The salesman agrees its a mess and says they'll contact the pile driving company to try to bring it to resolution. So there's hope...
smile.gif
<br /><br />Well, happy boating to you and Birdie!<br />anne
smile.gif

fone_man

Looks like you are on a postive path to get your dock issue resolved... stay on 'em!!!<br /><br />Well... "Birdie" is pissed because we have not had the time this year to get out...<br /><br />In April... I said by "Memorial Day", on "Memorial Day"... I said by the "Fourth"... on the "Fourth" I said by my birthday which was Monday... DawgGoneit!!!... I going to have to get boat out to to winterize it by October... just have not had the time this year!!!!! Plus I am going to "Titans" scrimmage today... so that blows this weekend!!! LOL<br /><br />Only thing really gettin' used this year is the cover!!!!! LOL<br /><br />c-ya... keep me posted<br /><br />
cool.gif
<br /><br />------------------<br />"Keep It Between The Bouys" & "Good Luck"!!!<br /><br />fone_man

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

A BE-LATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YA FONE!!!!

fone_man

RIDEPATE:<br /><br />Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />
cool.gif
<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />"Keep It Between The Bouys" & "Good Luck"!!!<br /><br />fone_man

anne

Cadet

Happy Late Birthday, fone_man!!!<br /><br />I was gone all last week on vacation to Sunset Beach, NC -- got to see my Dad and a lot of other family; it was really cool. Being at the ocean makes me dream of someday getting an offshore-capable boat...<br /><br />But I really missed my pups, so it was great to get home and see them again! I think for next year, I'm going to try and find a house to rent that will allow my dogs -- they were in good hands, but a week is tooo long (for me!) to be away from them.<br /><br />I hope the Titans game was fun...<br />Sounds like you really need to get Birdie out on the water, though -- the season is passing quickly!<br /><br />Winterizing is why i got an outboard -- i can leave it in the boat lift and use it ALL YEAR ROUND!!!! Yay!!!! :)<br /><br />Now you get out there and take Birdie for a cruise, y'hear?<br />:)

anne

Cadet

I think it's done!!! The pile driving company and dock company came out last Thursday. The dock company took the remaining 4-foot aluminum sleeve off and attached a smaller collar more appropriate for the fixed piling anchorage. The other piling, while not perfectly straight, is much straighter than the other one was and will be okay, I think. The piling company pulled up the downstream piling (the really crooked one), the collar for that one was moved so that both pilings are on the stream side of the dock, and they drove the piling back in straight in the new location.<br /><br />This weekend we noticed that the dock seems to ride much better. I think it's over!!! We now have something that works. I'm happy for that. I do wish they'd done it sooner, but hey, it's done now, and I'm happy of that. :) <br /><br />We took the boat out this weekend, too -- the hydrofoil works great, it gets on plane much more quickly than it did before, and it was pretty quick before.<br /><br />Hey fone_man -- have you taken Birdie out yet?<br /><br />-anne :)

Cuddy

Cadet

Anne,<br /><br />Taking the dogs is a must! I even take mine on business related travel when possible. check out the website www.petswelcome.com and you can find places in every city to suit you.