New Business Names

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok guys and gals, you all seem to be very creative and have wonderful senses of humor. I will admit, in these areas I'm lame. So I need some help. I will be opening an auto repair facility in Traverse City, MI. I can not think of a good name. I always wanted to name my place "AN Honest Mechanic," but I can't practically do that. I don't want to p-o the competition in that way. I want to do it by stealing their business by doing a better job. And when I grow or if my buddy comes onboard as a partner, smart-a$$ customers could ask "Ok, which one of you is the honest one?" :D <br />The only criteria that I can think of is, no family name reference. In TC there are 50+ repair shops and only three that carry a family name. I would like something that congers up thoughts of honesty and integrity as they are cornerstones of my professional life. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />Oh, and 50% off of the work order total to the winner. Thanks to all.<br /> ;)

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: New Business Names

Something with the name of the suburb (or street) maybe. For instance: Croydon Auto Repair (CAR). <br /><br />Or something like 'Auto Torque"<br /><br />I've always liked "Top Dead Centre" but it's taken in Aus.<br /><br />Aldo

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

No family name reference? Most smaller garages down south are family owned, operated and go by that name. It's nice to know who you're dealing with and that they're willing to put the family reputation on the line to please the customer. It's the fly-by-night guys that use the slick, trendy names down here. When they get screw too many people, they move somewhere else and change the shop name. <br /><br />Outside of that, I hear it's advantageous to start your business name with "A" to get your name and number near the top of the phone book listings. Good luck with it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You will have to fight for an early listing in the phone book.<br />That is why so many business names start with the letter "a" or a number.<br />Examples, AAA Auto Repair, American Auto, Advanced Auto, Allen Auto, etc.<br />Learned this form an old boss of mine.<br /><br /><br />Brakes Bearings & Bolts<br />Al Queda Auto Repair no wait, don't use that one.<br />Broken Auto ....... Mechanics no, that s no good either.

ebbtide176

Commander

Get Moore for your money<br /><br />Get Moore for Your Car

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gone through this before, I hired a consultant, for my bus name and logo. I ended up with Bartlett Title Company, and made it so people could write checks to BTC, something they could spell.<br />I strongly agree that people who put their name up, are putting their reputation on the line.<br /><br />Moore than Nuts or Moores shift shop, Brake for Moore or Moore than BTA, Davy's oil pan, Daves Piston Shop, Pistons and Moore, OK I'll stop, as you can see, I'm not very good at this.<br />good luck

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Moor-Value Auto Service<br />Auto Diagnostics and Repair

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am attracted to business whose names suggest "old time" honest, friendly service.<br /><br />That brings to mind names like, "David's Garage".<br /><br />In a comptitive environment I like easy to remember, catchy names like "Auto Aid Station".<br /><br />Good luck. :)

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Perfect Percription Service Center<br /><br />We're just what the doctor ordered!<br /><br /><br />That way you can work on anything, and not sound like just a car place.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

"straight talkin' cars"?<br /><br />In small letters underneath maybe "We rely on your repeat custom" <edit> no, that sounds bad-but you get the drift<edit><br /><br />Its a bit odd I know, but on the odd occasion I've used a garage I much preferred them to tell it how it is and not doll it up.

dolluper

Captain

All DOLLED UP AUTO REPAIR can you imagne why<br />or A PLUS AUTO REPAIR<br />or ALL PLUS AUTO REPAIR<br />or ALL ABOUT AUTO REPAIR

LadyFish

Admiral

I like ebbs.....kinda like "call David get Moore." :)

gonfishn

Commander

I agree to some extent that a catchy business name will catch a persons eye at first. The question is to ask youselve what makes you better than the other surrounding shops?<br /><br />The bottom line is service. Repeat and referral is your best advertisment. If you provide a great service to your customer they will tell all their friends. But if they have a problem with your service they will tell everyone stranger or friend.<br /><br />I know you are looking for a catchy name but a name does not make a business. You are already very good in what you do or you would not be going out on your own.<br /><br />I have pre-printed postcards that I send to every customer that comes in telling them how much i appreciate there business and to please tell their friends.<br /><br />Yellow pages are great but most will get your name by folks who have done business with you.<br /><br />I keep a log on how folks have heard of Mattress Etc.. You will be surpised how many actually found you from the Yellow pages. Repeat and refferal is what you are trying to achieve.<br /><br />Yes the first year Yellow pages is a must but service is what is going to make you a successful enity or just a another stat of failure..<br /><br />For a name I would say pick one that represents you the best..

dolluper

Captain

Gonfishn makes some very good points and there are more to consider like legal and liability points on a name Your personal name like John Does Auto is the cheapest to register and you are liabile for you and not some other company with same name because of a shooty search job I used my name first, initals, and last name for my business You would be surpized how many business's had my name without the initals but not in the auto field

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Moore Power, Moore Performance... Honest Dave's Auto Repair... Oh, the name.