new boater

stephenc8301

Seaman Apprentice
i just bought an 86 reinell 16 ft. 170 m. and was wondering why i have 2 batteries? they are both starting. what should the switch be set at?

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: new boater

Hi stephenc8301 and welcome ,
set it to number one , the second is a spare . you didnt say what size motor you have ??? some of the older models dont have a very good alt, plus do you have a raido, and light , deep finder, trolling motor , they all take juice, , Ok enjoy and ne careful out there , John

45Auto

Commander

You have 2 batteries in case you are 30 miles from anyone else and 1 battery dies. You probably don't have an ACR (automatic charging relay), so most people with that size boat I know put the switch on battery 1 going out, then switch to battery 2 coming in so both stay charged. You probably don't want to change the switch with the engine running. Some switches have alternator protection, lots of them don't.

stephenc8301

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the help. i also heard that one battery is supposed to be a starting battery and the other a deep cycle?? both the batteries that are in there say starting on them. should i buy a deep cycle? i really appreciate the help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think you need to as the previous owner what they were used for. people wire all kinds of contraptions.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If your battery switch has an OFF, BAT 1, BOTH and BAT 2 positions here is typically how the switch is used.
OFF kills all electrical loads and is typically used when the boat is on a trailer or at the dock and not in use. Bilge pumps should not be wired through the switch but rather directly to one of the batteries.
BAT1: You switch to BAT 1 to start the engine (if BAT 1 is what you consider the starting battery).
BOTH: when the engine is running you switch to BOTH to charge both batteries.
BAT 2: This is considered your auxiliary battery and it typically is used to power a trolling motor or other accessories. This switch position prevents a draw on the start battery BAT 1 thus ensuring it is fully charged.
When you get ready to leave, switch back to BAT 1, start the engine and then switch back to BOTH. NEVER swtich to OFF with the engine running.

Not to confuse you, but you can start the engine in ANY switch position except OFF and you can run accessories in ANY switch postion. The switch merely directs charging current to either or both batteries, or it determines which battery you are drawing power from.

stephenc8301

Seaman Apprentice

thanks alot silvertip. thats what kind of answer i was looking for. so the aux battery or the #2 battery can be a starting battery or should i buy a deep cycle?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

engine should have starting battery, accessories run on deep cycle, but don't go out and just buy one, wait till the existing one expires and won't take a charge.

stephenc8301

Seaman Apprentice

the #2 battery is good. i hooked it up to the charger and it was full. the #1 battery charged up and when i went to start the boat it almost turned over then it just starting clicking. time for a new battery? and if so whats a good starting battery? thanks alot.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the #2 battery is good. i hooked it up to the charger and it was full. the #1 battery charged up and when i went to start the boat it almost turned over then it just starting clicking. time for a new battery? and if so whats a good starting battery? thanks alot.

Now would be the time to get the deep cycle and put it on the #2 side of the switch. Move the other starting battery to the #1 side of switch.

OR.....Do what I would do.....

Go out and buy both "NEW" battery's (one starting and one deep cycle), so you'll know the history of both. With warranties.

cbavier

Lieutenant

stephenc
Welcome aboard i boats.

Try switching batteries to start your motor before buying any batteries. You may be able to start the motor just by turning the switch to the #2 Battery. If not hook battery #2 to the #1 cables and try that. Then you will know if the battery is bad or not. It probably is but there is no need buying a battery if it isn't the battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Whether the aux battery should be starting or deep cycle depends on what you run with it. If it's the "house" battery for lights, troller, locators, high power stereo, downriggers, etc., then it should be a deep cycle. If its merely a backup for starting, then it can be a starting or dual purpose (start/deep cycle).

stephenc8301

Seaman Apprentice

the # 2 battery powers my pump, radio, and lights. the #1 just starting. thanks for all the help everyone.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Just buy a new Deep cycle Battery for your lights, Pumps and etc. Put the starting battery on the #1 side and your good to go. If/when the starter battery fails in an emergency you can still start the motor off the deep cycle one time to get you back to shore that's when you replace the starting battery. To replace a perfectly good battery at this point is throwing your money away. Of course if you have plenty of excess money. Give me your old starting battery. I could use an extra one. my one and only battery is a starting/deep cycle. Then I too would have two batteries. :D :D :D