new boat help

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: new boat help

the boat is in foward, when i spin the prop it goes both ways freely

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, you have to turn the shift shaft in the lower to the forward position. It automatically goes to neutal if you turn the prop the wrong way.

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

please clarify for everyone ... did you pull just the lower off or the entire drive assy .... sounds like your lower is in neutral ... while your upper may be in forward .. again im just a newbie myself ...

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just pulled lower unit its almost back in, will how do you put it back in foward gear on the shift shaft do i need to take off the unit again, which direction do i need to turn it thanks guys im sorry for all the trouble

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey don is the quad ring you are refering to the small round rubber ring that goes in the oil passage way?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

3B-53 of the manual

In picture 23138, (upper right) F turns clockwise while turning prop CCW till it engages. DO NOT use pliars on it and ding it up or never wil get it together.

Item A in the lower right picture is the upper shift shaft and should be facing forward.

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i got it in foward gear, by hold the prop CCw in locked position, but it is still stuck where it was last time, ive tryed shakeing the lower unit but nothing, when i tryed the first time i did'nt hod the prop and it got knocked out again but i got in foward, im going to leave alone for tonight.

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

your on the right track ... sometimes its better to walk away for awhile.
read back through all these posts check out all the info dons gave you.
and try it again tomorrow ... you will get it ...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

im going to leave alone for tonight.

Sometimes that's the best advice - especially when things aren't going right. ;) Tomorrow when you try and put it back together, with it in forward, turn the prop counter-clockwise just a little if it doesn't want to go all the way. Make sure the copper water tube is lined up with the plastic tube and everything else is in place. If you have someone to help watch and line things up - that can help.

Bondo

Staff member

when i tryed the first time i did'nt hod the prop and it got knocked out again but i got in foward,

Ayuh,.....

I use a Bungee Cord to hold pressure against the prop,......

It Almost Never pops out of gear that way......