new boat answer some ?'s

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a 1999 24' Hydra Sports CC with twin Johnson 175 Faststrikes. What octane fuel should I run on these? Anything I should know about these motors? I'll take some pic tomorrow and post
Thanks

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: new boat answer some ?'s

Regular unleaded, outboards are pretty low compression engines and don't need premium, running 2 engines I think gas will cost you enough as it.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the answer,I took it out today,what would cause one of the engines to vibrate the boat at low rpms?the props look ok

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We'll assume you have carb'd models. 87 octane, Champion plugs and good oil, standard stuff for E / J carb'd motors.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry model # J175pxees carbs,champion plugs,premium oil and I used 89 octane but only one motor vibrates

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The vibration could come from several places. Start with the basics and take compression first. Assuming that's all good then look at the prop. It might just be out of balance. If that's OK then look at your lower unit. Take the prop off and look at the bearing carrier in the gearcase. Yours may have tabs that hold it in place. If so, you'll see 2 bolts just inside the gearcase. Make sure they're tight.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

compression really had no idea that could cause a vibration,Thanks for the hints I'll have to check it and the prop out tomorrow I'll get back with the results