New AristoCraft 19 Owner Checking In

ziggy

Admiral
Re: New AristoCraft 19 Owner Checking In

I thought about naming her Singer because she runs like one
sounds like a good name to me. be sure to go through the naming ceremony so posiden is happy and looks kindly up on your boat... ;)
got mine summerized and tuned up and went out sat. myself. i did have one let down though. like choked and died in the middle of the lake. had to get towed in. a first for me. messed around with it at the dock and got it running and it was all down hill from there. ran good like it was supposed to. now i just gotta figure out what i need to check for a no start condition. initially i'm thinking ign system for sure as it just shut down instantly.

good luck with your trailer lights. mine are a constant battle. there's always one or two that need the emery cloth treatment, or a new bulb, or a better ground. don't forget to do the wheel brgs. i didn't do mine for two years and paid the price late last fall. 1 melted wheel brg. + a bum day at the lake repairing it at the boat ramp. wasn't a fun day really. so stay on top of them brgs... greasing them through the brg. buddys is not enough. ya gotta take em apart to get the back wheel brg. greased..

so ya decided your gage was bad. did you give it the test in the service manual to decide this. cool that ya got an exact replacement. i'd be bummed if i had to get a different gage for mine. i love my dash. it's just like that ad's say. sports car styling... does yours look like this? short of my auto pilot foot... :D

IMG_4055.jpg

i'm lucky. i got a 72 trisonic in my backyard. deadlined for multiple boat, engine, and drive issues. so as of right now. it's a parts boat. cool thing is, all the parts are exact replacements for my aristocraft... i sure got lucky there...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Identical except I have a speedo mounted where your cupholder is. It is an original aftermarket OMC. Kinda cool looking in a retro way. I looke for some pics of a similar one and didn't find any. It is an ugly plastic bubble looking thing with a single bolt through the back. Reads both mph and kmh.

Took her out yesterday evening for a couple of hours and banged her around a little to be sure everything was solid. After that, I let my wife drive for awhile and get comfortable. She is a good solid boat and tracks well even if a little heavy at the helm and slow to plane.

I left the blower on the entire time we were out and it tripped the circuit when I cut on the bilge and lights with it. I will need to upgrade that circuit this afternoon before we go out again.

ziggy

Admiral

It is an original aftermarket OMC.
so do you have the omc package? or just that gage? i'll be of no help to you if the drive is omc. i know nothing about them. the L6 though i'd think is a L6. omc or mercruiser. it's still a chevy 250.
After that, I let my wife drive for awhile and get comfortable.
yeah, do that. let her drive and get good and experienced. my gf don't like to drive. hence ain't real experienced. well, her lack of experience showed through last fall when we ended up in real big surf and in trouble and she had to drive. not the time to be learning to drive when bad things are happening..

even if a little heavy at the helm and slow to plane
i would take that as there's something amiss somewhere. something as simple proper full in trim at take off, or a tuneup or a prop pitch chg. or, i don't even want to say it, as bad as waterlogged foam making the whole rig weight to much. are you able to reach wot? if a mercrusier, it's between 3900-4300, preferably on the high side. my wot is 4300-4400..
I will need to upgrade that circuit this afternoon before we go out again.
i had a little wiring mess when i got my boat too. here was my answer...
IMG_1280.jpg

a 6 gang fuse box. ran 2 (+ and -) fat wires from the batt., fused at the batt., up to the new fuse panel. just mounted the fuse panel up under the dash. then separated out my clustered wiring...

side note, was reading one of the other aristocraft threads the other day. i believe now that the hole in the floor, where the intake blower hose goes. the other end of that hole is in the ski locker. it's the hole that is on the aft starboard side of the locker..

Last edited:

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

It's just the gauge. I like the circuit panel you added. Where did you get it?

No problem with throttle. I just wasn't hammering it and one blade of my prop is off pitch so I didn't want to open it all the way up. I don't think the foam is a problem.

I didn't expect this boat to handle like some of the others I have had. It handles as expected - a little on the heavy side. When I said it was slow to plane, I was talking about more than five seconds at moderate throttle. My Glastron will literaly jump almost out of the water onto plane instantly. If you don't have the trim set right when taking a holeshot it will stand straight up. I'm still learning the trim settings for the "craft".

The fastest I was running yesterday was 28mph (speedo) @ 2500 rpm (tach) and that was just poking along.

ziggy

Admiral

It's just the gauge.
whew, a sigh of relief for you... :)
Where did you get it?
right here on iboats.... http://www.iboats.com/Blue_Sea_Scre...24826933--**********.784519150--view_id.38108

I don't think the foam is a problem.
whew, another sigh of relief. i assume you saw that thread by 1923waterbug. man, i felt bad for him the way it worked out for him..
I was talking about more than five seconds at moderate throttle.
yep, that's sounds about right to me..
If you don't have the trim set right when taking a holeshot it will stand straight up.
i agree, mine does too.
I'm still learning the trim settings for the "craft".
i think i'm gonna wear my trim switch out. i'm constantly adj. trim setting it seems. they certainly are trim sensitive. i don't personally feel there's anything wrong. just trim sensitive is all...
The fastest I was running yesterday was 28mph (speedo) @ 2500 rpm (tach) and that was just poking along.
still sounds good to me. maybe even faster than mine. if i remember right. i run about the same speed as my tach reads from about 2800 up to 4300. in other words. for me. at 2800rpm, speed is probably around 28 mph. at 3300 im going about 33mph. 4000 rpm, i'm going about 40 mph. its kinda weird for that to occur i'd think. but that's the way i see it when i'm out. i also don't have a speedo obviously. so my readings are dash tach and handheld gps speedo..

sounds like your doing well. that's excellent. i think i'm doing ok too. i splashed last weekend. i only got towed in once... :rolleyes:. i forgot to tighten the cap down on one side. sure was a let down when she died stone cold dead in the middle of the lake and wouldn't restart while i was blowing right towards a rock infested beach. here's the story if your interested... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=303947.
really glad your doing well. me too, now, i think. looks like i'm gonna miss this weekend for raining weather... darn... another week to wait till i can see if i'm hip, running wise. though i'm sure i am... have a great day...

Nehoc

Cadet

Hey there Ziggy,

I have a quick question. You posted picks of your blower connected to the hole that connects the skilocker to the engine compartment. I was wondering where your bilge pump is located? The reason I ask, is that on my aristocraft, the original bilge pump is mounted into that hole, or was until it gave up the ghost. I've since moved the bilge pump directly to the skilocker in front of the drain hole, and pump out through a bilge tube that runs through that tube that goes from locker to engine.

Just curious, since I'm still working on undoing a ton of good intentioned "upgrades".

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I thought it looked like a "natural" location for the bilge pump as well. However, I didn't see any that would work in the hole that were immediately available.

ziggy

Admiral

The reason I ask, is that on my aristocraft, the original bilge pump is mounted into that hole
do you have a pic of that?
i really don't know where the oem location for the bilge pump is. hopefully aristocraft will let us know. to me, it seems likely that they came with a bilge pump. i have a 2 pull switch on my dash that looks the same as the other switch that operates my nav lights. era appropriate. also where the bilge pump water exits looks like a 1975 fitting too.
i've left mine where the po put it. just slightly to port of the garboard drain plug hole, at the very back. mine was loose and flopping around when i got it. i just glued it back down. while i doubt that's the original location, it seems likely to me that all water anywhere on the inside will make it's way back to the very back of the boat. nehoc, interesting place for placement in the ski locker. myself, i'd be concerned about the water that would still be further back in the boat prior to rising high enough for the pump to work. + i fill up my ski locker with all kinds of stuff.

note, i'm still figuring out where all the (vent) holes go in mine. from the bow, it drains into the beverage cooler (mines complete with a bathroom drain stopper inside the beverage cooler to plug the fore and aft hole). the cooler to the ski locker. back hole of the ski locker to the very stern under the engine. side ski locker hole up to the blower intake, blower exits to the rear starboard hole on the deck. the fore hole on both side i don't know. starboard i suspect it leads to a hole up high under the cap right behind the starboard rear seat. i've not looked hard at the port side deck holes, the fore and aft one. i assume one is ram air in and the other is just a vent out. i've not found (noticed) the holes inside on the port side...
I'm still working on undoing a ton of good intentioned "upgrades".
sounds like yer on the right track doing some downgrades back to oem to me... ;)
so we still don't know the oem location for the bilge pump i don't think... another question i'd have would be. how did the oem switch work. mine, i get blower only with one pull, 2nd pull gets me bilge pump only. only reason i'd wonder this is my last boat, a trisonic, with the same exact switchs was, one pull, blower only, two pulls blower and bigle pump.. i wonder with is best or right?

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I also noticed a little drain hole just under the bow eye that comes from the recess the windshield drops into.

ziggy

Admiral

I also noticed a little drain hole just under the bow eye that comes from the recess the windshield drops into.
yep, me too. no idea if it drains or not though. once in while i get a little water in the bow. i've yet to discover where it comes from. i initially thought that drain was plugged. or maybe not sealed good in the center panel pocket. nothing i've done has stopped the leak. my windshields also had a semi messy silicone job by the po. i think that is where my leak is. i usually only leaks in high seas where i'm getting splashed a lot or when it rains... mostly it stays dry though.. idiosyncrasies of owning an old boat i guess.. someday i may even try to reseal the windshield, but since it only happens once in a while and its not hard to clean up. i've just been living with it...

Hey guys, first off I have to say the comrodery(i think thats right) between everyone is this thread is great! I just purchased a AristCraft 19 today with a MerCruiser 120hp in/outboard. When I saw the boat I thought is was the perfect blend of classic and new. I am looking for ANY info you guys may have about this boat.

I bought this boat for $600 with trailer and when me and the guys were talking he told me that the gas that was in it was approx. 4yrs old. He put earmuffs on the engine and the DAMN thing started right up and purred like a KITTEN, oil was clean and no vibration or misfires. There obviously is a few things that need to be done cosmetically, which is why i am here. Both sides of windshield are craked up pretty good and fortunately they are 1/8inch plexi and was looking for a place that sold replacements. Also ZIGGY, I know you are way into 19's so if you ahve any ideas on the interior i am definetely open to suggestions. What I was thinking is Black seats with Grey trim, grey carpet (on floorand side panels as well as some spots on top of boat).

Also guys, if anyone has info on air horns mine is not working and the CONTROLLER seems to have some issues and was looking for info on those. I am attaching pictures of this boat so you can see. It is a clean slate with no color except for STOCK green on seats and I am VERY VERY excited to put some color and attitude in it. Again I am very excited about restoring this boat to beauty.

Thanks in advance for any help offered

A

Attachments

• Boat 001 revised.JPG
    Boat 001 revised.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 002 revised.JPG
    Boat 002 revised.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 003 revised.JPG
    Boat 003 revised.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 005 revised.JPG
    Boat 005 revised.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 006 revised.JPG
    Boat 006 revised.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1

ziggy

Admiral

sweeet.....

i think yer the first that i've met that has a 75 too. cool. yer also the first i've met with the darker green color... i like it... very nice.

she looks to be in pretty good shape overall from yer pics. got yerself a steal i'd think if she runs like a champ too. i sure paid more than that for what i got. been getting my money out of it ever since too. ;)

you can search by name here on iboats using the advanced search function. if ya wanna see some of the things i've done to mine, search me starting about end sept. 06 i believe. i've posted up many of the repairs i've had to do. only highlight i'd make on your old engine, is watch or check out, or replace the manifold and riser if it hasn't been done yet. mine hadn't and went within the first months or less of use. it showed signs on the outside it was unhappy too so i knew it was coming.

i can't tell from your pics if ya got a roller trailer or not, but if ya do, i've got a suggestion about launching. i can see a piece of perpendicular metal right where the sides of the trailer meet at the ft. just like mine has. this piece of metal has caused me some grief. if i launch to deep. my bow gets low enough (as the back begins to float) to contact that piece of metal with my fiberglass. it's chewed me up a little in that area of my bow. the cure is easy. don't launch to deep. i put my fenders half submerged and then i'm ok.

as for your windshield. i believe yer gonna have luck.. www.aristocraftboats.com
i think a whole windshield is available from the oem. have a talk with them too. they're real nice and may have much info for you. + some parts. ya might see if they have your upholstery too. they got some colors. maybe yours, but not mine. :( i think in one of my threads aristocraft stated to me that the upholstery is the most important thing you can preserve about your nineteen.
What I was thinking is Black seats with Grey trim, grey carpet (
hopefully aristocraft can help ya with your upholstery. if not, i'd be carefull about using black on anything inside the boat. black gets very hot. my best example is on a hot 90+ degree day. my almost white boat is most tolerable to touch or walk on. my lime green interior is certainly hotter. you can sit on it w/o getting scorched. but it's hot. the lime green carpet i have is similar albeit a shade cooler as it's a lighter color than the seats. i also have a dark green throw mat inside my boat. it resides right in ft. of the dog house. that mat gets hot. like step on it and you'll be moving in short order. it'll burn the bottom of your feet. so be careful with them dark colors is my point. it gets real hot...

i don't know about your air horn. mine came with an ugly elec. horn on the bow. it's gone. got me another one that looks much cooler that is now mounted up by the windshield where i think it looks much better. i will say that my second horn didn't work when i retrieved it from my 72 trisonic in the backyard. it was serviceable. took it all apart cleaned it up and it works good now. perhaps your air horn is serviceable too?

sure looks like ya got a winner there 75aristocraft. your gonna have a lot of fun with it i'm sure. these nineteens are most versital. and yer gonna love it when it rains and everyone else is heading it real fast. you'll be able to stay out, out of the rain and enjoy the whole lake to yourself. least thats been my experience... ;)

congrats on your new boat.... got any more pics? i love pics of nineteens, my computers got thousands of mine in it i think...... :D

natem

Recruit

Here is my new 77 nineteen....lots of work to do, but that's what you get for only paying $150!

Attachments

• 222.JPG
    222.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 0

ottomatic

Recruit

Hey guys, I just got a 74 for $600. She is not really stock, but an awesome little costal skiff for off Santa Barbara. what a great deal on the $150. Have you fixed it up?