Never again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
(This will be a long read, sorry just venting I guess, plus a bit bored hehe) I won't be offended if you don't feel like reading the whole thing!

My story begins because I just spent the last few days going through the rather large pile of reciepts I have accumulated for my rebuild, and I have to say never again!!!

Some background info... (I consider myself spoiled as I have always been given my grandfather's old boats when he bought a new one... they were always garage kept, factory maintained, and basically perfect).
1st boat: 1972, 12' montgomery ward, shakespear wondercraft 12, with a 9.8 merc on it, when I was 12.
2nd boat: 1979, 17' Aquasport CC with 100 Evinrude when I was 16
3rd boat: 1974, 20' Sea Ray SRV200, when I was 20
4th boat: 1989, 22' wellcraft 215 eclipse BR when I was 28

Then he stopped giving me boats :( ... this was a sad day indeed!

Basically when he gave me an upgrade, he got to sell the old one and keep the money, but I never had to pay a dime for the boat, so I basically got to use boats for free for almost 20 years!

Anyway...

Since I was no longer getting boats from my grandfather, I decided it was time to buy one on my own... About 4 years ago... I picked up an old tri-hull (1985' Riveria bowrider), for 700 bucks from my neighbor... It was the first used boat I have purchased myself, well before I knew about iboats, or really knew anything much about actually "buying" a boat in the first place... my grandfather had passed, and the wellcraft was history (sold it for financial reasons about 9 years ago). I had been about 4 years boatless, so I was desperate to get back on the water... In my hurry to get something, I didn't really check the boat out that well (or at all), but I knew it had been stored outside, sitting for many many years, and looked like holy hell... but I figured for 700 bucks, if I could get it to run (wasn't running when I bought it), I figured the motor would be worth at least the money I paid... (77' 70HP evinrude). I'm an auto mechanic by trade, so I figured at least the engine part would be easy...

I was hoping to just get something cheap, and throw it on the water to have something to use again... I missed boating waaaaay to much!!!

Well lets just say I totally dropped the ball on this one!

The day I bought it, I was moving it over from her yard to my yard, and the tilt lock failed, the motor dropped down, and dug into the dirt while I was backing up... and BAM! It punched the transom through the fiberglass... water came squishing out, and I was like hmmmm thats not good! So I started to do a little poking around, and sure enough the whole thing was rotted... well crap! (In hindsight, it's probably a good thing that I never got it out on the water, who knows what would have happened). (Also I didn't feel right about arguing with the old lady next door whom I bought it from, because I'm the one that punched the back of it, not her, even though it was rotted).

I was debating right then and there whether to ditch it or fix it, so I thought I would give the motor a go first... hooked up a battery, some fresh fuel, click... wouldn't turn over.. :( I pulled the plugs, oiled up the cylinders heavily, and let it sit for a few days... went back, turned the flywheel over by hand with a ratchet, and it freed up! Great I thought. Hooked up the muffs, fuel, and blamo it started! OK good! So at that point, I figured what the hell, I guess I'll keep it. It's not "that" bad looking, and if I am going to rebuild it, I know it will be strong at least!

I took an inventory, and there was not one single thing I could re-use on the damn setup anywhere, (boat or trailer), except the hull shell itself. :( Everything was completely shot.
Steering/Steering wheel: Shot
Seats/vinyl: Shot
Running lights: Shot
Wiring: Shot
Horn: Shot

It did not have:
Bilge pump
Batteries
Fuel tank(s)/Hoses

UGH! I needed to buy EVERYTHING new. :(

OK no problem... I had a little extra money, so I set myself a budget of 2k, (figured that would do it and with the original cost of the boat, I wouldn't be "that" far in the hole). (Boy was I wrong! More detail below hehe)

So I bought all new seats, seat hardware, rack & pinion steering/steering wheel, running lights, horn, bilge pump, two batteries, two 6-gal. tanks, (hoses and fittings), Tach, speedo, pretty much the works!

Came home, and took off the rub rail, drilled out the rivets, popped the cap, cut out the inner hull, and started digging out all the old nastyness... as with most of the stories here, it was wet mulch, wet foam, and just downright nasty...

Bought the new wood for the deck, bunch of resin, glass, etc. and started the rebuild... luckily I am fairly handy, having been in construction, and the automotive business, so re-building it wasnt that hard, just hot (I'm in FL, and it was april when I started), itchy and nasty. Things were going ok... laid the new stringer (only has one thankfully), glassed it in. Built a nice new transom out of two pieces of 10-ply 3/4", glassed together, and glassed it in.. I figure if I was going to do all this work, I should at least do it right! (Sadly I didnt know about CSM at the time, I used regular cloth, but too late to go back now). I changed the design of the front, and just built in a deck. The bow seats were worthless anyways, and I want to use it for fishing besides water sports.

I painted the inside of the hull to seal it up. Glassed a new deck and painted the bottom. Laid that in, and glassed it in... won't have to worry about water damaging the new wood this time!!! Built the new bow piece (glassed over 3/4" ply), and this is where I made my first big mistake (besides only using layers of cloth instead of CSM). I decided since I was putting a pedestal seat in the bow, that I wanted to layer up some CSM to make it really strong (learned about it now). Well I had no idea it used so much resin!!! I totally fubared the application, and the resin started to gel before I could finish, I scrambled to mix up more, and poured it on, ended up being waaaaay to thick with resin, was all lumpy and looked horrible...

Right about then I lost my job... oh sh*t! Boat has to go on hold for now... I decided to buy a small business, that consumed ALL my time, so basically the boat got parked for 3 years half finished... I tried to keep it covered the best I could, but it got some sun. I checked on it once in a blue moon when I got a free minute, and BLAM! The horrible job I did on the front deck all cracked open because of the way too thick resin...

I was pretty much disgusted at this point, but I had already burned up my 2k budget, and wasnt even halfway finished, so I figured I was past the point of no return now... I couldn't sell it and get my money back the way that it was, and I still did really want a working boat, plus I had all the hardware already purchased, still had the gel-coat, etc. So nothing to do but finish the task...

Fast foward to about a month ago...

(This next section is what I have been doing for the past month, working almost daily on the darn thing)...

SO I get out the grinder, and ground away the front deck... got it back down to the wood, and re-did it the correct way this time... took me a week of grinding/sanding to get rid of all that cracked nasty resin.. what a mess...

Finished it off, Phew thats done!

Next, I built in some seat bases behind the dash halves (I don't like back-to-back seats, and wanted to configure the boat for storage and a livewell). Once the inside was done (as far as building), I went back to the cap. (I know I probably should just finish one thing before moving on, but I can't stand doing the same thing for too long, so I mix it up a bit).

I built a dash for the top cap, sanded everything down, and went to gel-coat it... well this was my first time attempting to spray gel-coat... no fun at all!! The first batch, I made too much, and it started gelling in my sprayer, had to throw it away... (along with the sprayer), so I said hell with spraying it, I'm just going to roll it on... tried that, and it came out all lumpy and looked awful... so I had to sand it all off (another lost few days) and go back to spraying it... of course now I had to buy more gel-coat cause I used up all I had in my learning process... Got the new gel coat, mixed small easy to work with batches, and finally got the cap sprayed and looking decent, but its using up a lot more gel coat than I had thought which means I am going to need 3x what I have left to do the hull... (UGH more money out the door...)

OK, Cap is done being gelled, so I figured I would finish getting it ready by assembling the steering, and wiring, lights, etc... oh crap, I need wire, wire loom, wire holders, solder, tape, blah blah blah to get the new harness built... back to the store for more supplies and more money out the door...

Ok Phew, Got the cap all configured, decided to go back to the hull... I had to build a boat flipper aparatus (hehe see my thread for redneck boat flip). Got the boat flipped and started sanding off the old nasty bottom paint, (breathing that dust even with a respirator made me sick, I don't know whats in it, but it is absolutely horrible and far worse than even fiberglass dust!). I have a new found hatred for bottom paint now! Anyway, continuing on, I fixed all the holes/scratches, (the thing had two bow eyes for some reason). had to fill one set of those as well... got it all ready to gel-coat... So where I am at currently on the hull is, it's sanded and ready to gel, but I am waiting for more gel coat to arrive since I used up all I had on the cap...

OK since I am waiting on gel coat, I guess I'll tidy up the motor... ewwwy! The motor is an absolute mess.. yes it runs, but its full of corrosion and pits, it has water coming out of the shift rod hole (shouldn't), pours gas out of one of the carbs now, and generally needs a good overhaul... ok well first things first, I'll start at the bottom and work my way up... lets make sure it has a good impeller (it pumps but not that good). I drop the lower unit, and UGH! It has 3 wasps nests in it, full of salt and corrosion, and most of the shift rod housing metal is deteriorated. AHHHH !! It's missing some of the mounting bolts, and needs an intake screen... ok time to order even more parts, and more money out the door... I get to the mid-section, and there's a bad gasket, ok add that to the list... along with the carb kits...

And thats where I stopped at today... all I can say is ()&#*)(*$#)$* I can't wait for this thing to be done!

All told, this is where I am at currently:
700.00 - original price for Boat/Motor/trailer
2500.00 (and counting) for materials to rebuild (Resin, Glass, wood, gel-coat, filler, steering/steering wheel, lighting, gauges (tach/speedo), switch panel, horn, bilge pump, batteries, gas tanks, fuel hoses, etc).. More gel-coat, resin, cloth, to fix all my previous mistakes...
400.00 (and counting) for fixing up the engine (impeller kit, ignition switch, new bolts, shift rod housing, intake screen, gaskets, cowl seal, decals, paint/primer, etc.)
250.00 fixing up the trailer, new bunks, rollers, axle bolts, bearings/seals, winch, tongue jack, etc.

(I forgot to mention that while the trailer frame is galvanized, pretty much the rest of the trailer was shot too... winch was bad, didnt have a tongue jack, bunks bad, rollers bad, etc.). Soooo more parts picked up and more money out the door...

I am probably still a good 2-3 weeks away from getting the boat on the water, I have owned it for 4 years, and have sunk over 3800 bucks in it (worth half that, maybe), and still have some more engine parts to get before its ready... hell I wont even know if it will go once its on the water... wish me luck!

Hopefully this will give some people some insight on how NOT to go about preparing for and completing a rebuild... I pretty much did everything in all the wrong order... I should have made sure the motor was 100% before ever moving on to anything else!

I'll be sure to post the complete rebuild pics once I find them all, and definitely let you know how it goes on its maiden voyage!

I am soooo thankful I found iboats, and have gained a wealth of knowledge from this site... If I ever do buy another boat again, I will know what to look for, and what to buy, and make sure I don't ever have to do another rebuild as long as I live!!!

SOOOOooooo the moral of this long and rather boring story (if you're still with me ;)), is NEVER AGAIN!!!

Thanks guys for your time and I hope you enjoyed the read... :D

Num

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Never again!!!

LOL Numlaar quite a read . Hopefully you will take away from this the knowledge that the next time you get the wild haired idea to buy a " project boat " you will buy a nice Tincan loooots less work to get em in the water :D.I do somewhat understand some of your pain though . I have been painting the bottom and sides of my Starcraft for what seems like forever :D.

Rick

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Rick!

I figured at least you would read it, hanging around this forum all the time hehehe

Yeah too bad I found iboats too late... if I had read oops's thread before I started, I would have yanked the motor and trashed the rest, and found something better for sure! :D

My next boat will more than likely be a tin can for sure...

Just funny, have owned boats for almost 30 years, but never really had to fix em before... and it sucks! I really miss my granddad :(

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow...i mean frickin WOW!

dude...i feel for you. my rebuild was pretty enjoyable but things just kindof went my way i guess. i hope you do finish it and everything works out.

definately want to see some pics of the progress.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I understand sounds like Granddad took real good care of his boats and gave them to you watwer ready so all you had to do all those years was enjoy them :D. I havent been in a boat in close to 20 years and decided it was time LOL . I got BAS this summer nd ended up with 4 boats before I got a slight handle on it . I still have 3 2 of them are glass and the tincan . I am planning to sell off one of the glass boats s is and resto the other ( the one in my avatar ) and try to make a few bucks on it LOL. Then I am fter another TinCan . the one I have is a 16' closed bow I want a 22' open or closed bow next to go with this one :D.

Oh yeah I love this place but would rather be out selling nd fixing AC units instead of hanging out here 24/7 :D. Hopefully our cool weather is out of here now and we can get back to summer :D. I need more boat money ROFLMAO.

Rick

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

wow...i mean frickin WOW!

dude...i feel for you. my rebuild was pretty enjoyable but things just kindof went my way i guess. i hope you do finish it and everything works out.

Thanks Imperial...

Yeah I was definitely a bit jealous when I saw yours... and you're selling it too... makes this all the more painful knowing I could have just bought something water ready for what I have spent, and had a lot less aggravation, and itch!

definately want to see some pics of the progress.

Yeah I fully documented the rebuild for if/when I do sell the boat, but when I moved, I packed up my server, and thats where the majority of the pictures are now, and its still in storage... I didn't want to start a rebuild thread near the end, but I will be sure to post em all up when I go dig the server out!

I understand sounds like Granddad took real good care of his boats and gave them to you watwer ready so all you had to do all those years was enjoy them :D. I havent been in a boat in close to 20 years and decided it was time LOL . I got BAS this summer nd ended up with 4 boats before I got a slight handle on it . I still have 3 2 of them are glass and the tincan . I am planning to sell off one of the glass boats s is and resto the other ( the one in my avatar ) and try to make a few bucks on it LOL. Then I am fter another TinCan . the one I have is a 16' closed bow I want a 22' open or closed bow next to go with this one :D.

Yeah my Granddad was a great man... we got along better than I did with my parents, and he taught me sooo much (it was his construction business). He had a cabin on the homossassa river, and took me there every month to go fishing, I miss him terrribly, (not just because of the free boats). He did take supremely good care of everything he owned... I am still driving his pickup truck in fact.

Oh yeah I love this place but would rather be out selling nd fixing AC units instead of hanging out here 24/7 :D. Hopefully our cool weather is out of here now and we can get back to summer :D. I need more boat money ROFLMAO.

Rick

You should move to FL, you can sell A/C year round down here in the inferno LOL!!!

I haven't worked in 7 months, took some time off to figure things out, but my money is about gone, so I'm gonna have to get off my *** soon and go do something.. but by god I WILL finish this boat and use it first!!!!

Yeah, but think of all the laughs you will have now when you see an ad that says "a little TLC" or "just needs new plywood on the floor". ;)

Oh I know Bubba LOL I have learned sooo much doing this rebuild, and from reading here... I will be a much better informed buyer in the future!

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL I spent the first 18 yers of my life in Tampa then spent a few wandering around the world with the Army . I have been up here 15 years and love it . I hve had to go to Fla twice this summer once at the beginning of April ( it was already in the mid 80's with 130% humidity ) :D. I just went back a few weeks ago to pick up the furniture and furniture owner I had taken down in April . I still dont miss the place ( My spanish isnt that good and I can afford a house up here ) plus I have gotten used to having something white on the ground at Christmas other than sand :D:D.

Rick

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

LMAO I know about the spanish thing too funny!

And you're right about the houses... market went totally wacky, then of course bombed (pretty much like everywhere), but its still really bad here... thats why I moved... I got 3x the house I did in clearwater, for half the money out in no man's land FL... I couldnt leave the state though, Born and raised here (all 39 years), and just love the water FL has to offer... I couldn't live in a land locked state!

I'm in a pretty good spot now, 3 hours to clearwater, little over an hour from homossasa, 35 mins from the St. Johns, and only 20 mins from salt springs/lake george. I love the country life!

New question, should I start my rebuild thread now, or wait until I dig out the rest of the pics first?

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

rick...hows the flooding going? were you affected?

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL I was a 5th generation Floridian :eek:. I have an uncle who captins a Tug on the St. Johns :D. I still dont miss it . I am 2 blocks from the Ohio river and have several huge lakes within hours of my house some as close as 30 minutes . I understand the love of the place though if the cost of living wasnt as crazy and you didnt have to know spanish to order a cup of coffee . I might reconsider :D.

Rick

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All us diy'ers fall into that once in a while. Once I bought a truck from a friend he went into a ditch with. I thought I can fix that, he was driving it what else could be wrong with it, it was a nice looking truck....yeah, how do you drive a truck to work every day with no driver power window, no muffler, broken exhaust manifold, broken emissions tube making the ECU freak out, leaking intake gasket, and I found other things. Add to that I could not find used parts suddenly when I had before I bought it. I rebuilt the whole truck and painted it all, fixed all that broken stuff I found after doing all that, and I think I made a profit of $600 on it when I should have made minimum $2K just to cover my labor. Now a boat you might not make money on, but you can still have a nice ride just like you want it to be for less than what a nice boat costs. Cars and boats, there better be only one thing wrong with it if you pay much. Lots of things and it better be free or nearly so.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Oh yeah definately start your resto thread it helps with anger management :D.

Imperial we got lucky on the Floods here see my thread for more :D.

Rick

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

OK will do!

I just went out to the shed and spent the last hour digging in the boxes for my server, and of course it was the absolute last box I found, but I got all the pics so far, so I'll get started on it now!

:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL they are always in the last place you look :D.

Heres another part of why I dont miss Fla especially around christmas this is a set of pictures taken out of my garage .

DSCI0013.jpg

DSCI0014.jpg

DSCI0015.jpg

I keep telling my Mom a white sandy Christmas just isnt the same .

Rick

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Numlaar I can feel your pain, my little "find" cost me $250.00...I'm at $1100.00 currently and haven't bought seats/mounts, nor half of the odds and ends like wire, deck covering etc etc, add to that another oh say thirty percent more than usual spent on relaxation liquids{lol}... and then to top it all off, my 'ol lady won't even consider a part time job to help out...go figure, she only works 60 hrs a week now..it's not like I'm asking that much is it?{lol}

Rick, those photo's are cold bro, in more ways than one...I had just about forgot about that kind of stuff and here you come...want to kick me while I'm down too?{lol}

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

You asked to wish ya luck!! Good Luck Dude!! Hope you get her out soon!, But still keep us posted on the Maiden Voyage:D.....Pat

Rickairmedic

Commander

Rick, those photo's are cold bro, in more ways than one...I had just about forgot about that kind of stuff and here you come...want to kick me while I'm down too?{lol}

LOL actually HSF and Numlaar can back me up on this 50* in Fla actually feels colder than 30* here . When I was in Fla at 50* I was wearing a leather or other heavy jacket . Here even at 30* a lined hoody is comfortable :D. The humidity is year round down there and a wet 50* goes straight through you as where up here its not as humid durring the winter so the cold isnt as cold if that makes sense :D.

Rick

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

You asked to wish ya luck!! Good Luck Dude!! Hope you get her out soon!, But still keep us posted on the Maiden Voyage:D.....Pat

Hey Pat,

Thanks a lot!!!

I will definitely let you know when I take her out the first time!

We are making it a family affair, with a renaming cermony and all that too!

Should be a lot of fun!

I am uploading my 80 some odd pics to photobucket now, and will get started on the rebuild thread when the upload is finished!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

LOL actually HSF and Numlaar can back me up on this 50* in Fla actually feels colder than 30* here . When I was in Fla at 50* I was wearing a leather or other heavy jacket . Here even at 30* a lined hoody is comfortable :D. The humidity is year round down there and a wet 50* goes straight through you as where up here its not as humid durring the winter so the cold isnt as cold if that makes sense :D.

Rick

LOL So true!!! We also have very thin blood down here...

When it's 50 outside, I'm usually in my field jacket with the thermal liner buttoned in or a suitable parka, and freezing my nuts off LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.