Neighbors Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Neighbors Cat

I agree with Homerr, live traps work well, and in my area animal control will come pick them up. We had a neighbor where we used to live who had about 6 cats (none were fixed) roaming the neighborhood. Several of us put out live traps and caught all of them several times. There is a leash law here and a pretty big fine for loose cats. He eventually built an enclosure for his cats and hated the rest of the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Hate to get in the middle, but I took carrotsnapper's comment about remaining unconvinced to be a subtle bit of dry humor---meaning that he thinks that you must not be "reel poor," or at least as poor as your screen name might suggest. But then, what do I know?<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Triton II

Commander

dd - maybe reel poor is like me. The World's worst fisherman! Nothing to do with money?<br />Anyway: back to the cat. Nos's idea works, I have boat under a carport and my cat loves to sleep in it. I hate the cat fur that results (I was 'gifted' the cat and my boys won't let me get rid of it. :( ) so I did the lemon juice trick and Gizmo (the cat) no longer likes it in there.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Let's look at this from a different angle.<br /><br />We make adjustments and allowances for most of our fellow citizens in one way or another. If we allow it, they all could annoy us at least part of the time, but we don't. . . we tolerate the little inconveniences they cause us and they in turn tolerate our flaws. That's what being neighbors is all about.<br /><br />Now, let's talk about elderly single people and their attachment to the critters who share their lives. I am an elderly single person and I am very attached to my vicious cat (and my freeloading equine loafers). I would be very unhappy if she disappeared (she is strictly an inside cat, but that isn't my point).<br /><br />My point is that that lady might be devastated if her cat didn't come home. Would the satisfaction of getting rid of the cat be worth the consequences to her? Is she the only one not thinking of the feelings of her neighbors?<br /><br />I suggest live and let live. Find a way to keep the cat out of your boat but let your neighbor keep her treasured pet.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> Hate to get in the middle, but I took carrotsnapper's comment about remaining unconvinced to be a subtle bit of dry humor---meaning that he thinks that you must not be "reel poor," or at least as poor as your screen name might suggest. But then, what do I know?<br /><br /><br />-dd-
You know dogsdad you could be right. Timming was terrible tho, and maybe I read it wrong. If so, Carrotsnapper you have my deepest apollogy for snapping back like I did. This cat problem has been going on for a while and I was pretty steamed at the time.<br /><br />
Triton II <br />Member # 51709 posted August 14, 2005 05:09 PM<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> dd - maybe reel poor is like me. The World's worst fisherman! Nothing to do with money?
Your partially right Triton II. It has nothing to do with money. Its a pun, as I probably have more fishing equipment than the law should allow. My wife is always asking me, Why do you need another rod, reel, lure, ect. your already "Reel Poor". <br /><br />Im definately not the worst fisherman in the world. My fishing buddies and myself do pretty well each year fishing in recreational fishing tournaments. The more we win, the more I spend. :D <br /><br />JB Your spot on. I have animals, and feelings for others. I just feel that my neighbor is acting irresponsable. I have already taken some pictures of the cat on my Bass Tracker, in my yard, eating on "her" front pourch, and on my renters car. Once I have a picture of the cat on my car (where the real damage has been done) I will approach her again with an ultimatum, CAT or COURT.<br /><br />Im really not a $#!+ stirrer but I will dish it up if neccessary. ;)

Homerr

Commander

Originally posted by alden:<br /> Buy a dog.
Good idea!<br /><br />But then Granny would sue for her cat getting eaten by the dog....<br /><br /><br /> :) <br /><br />H.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the cayene pepper idea would work .My mother used it in her flowers because the cats and dog liked to crap in her flowers . It worked great!<br />Im having a problem myself now and am going tommorrow to get some cayene for it.<br />Also it isnt cruel and its cheap.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Lemon juice also removes that horrendous smell of ammonia after a tomcat sprays on something BTW.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Let's look at this from a different angle.<br /><br />We make adjustments and allowances for most of our fellow citizens in one way or another. If we allow it, they all could annoy us at least part of the time, but we don't. . . we tolerate the little inconveniences they cause us and they in turn tolerate our flaws. That's what being neighbors is all about.<br /><br />Now, let's talk about elderly single people and their attachment to the critters who share their lives. I am an elderly single person and I am very attached to my vicious cat (and my freeloading equine loafers). I would be very unhappy if she disappeared (she is strictly an inside cat, but that isn't my point).<br /><br />My point is that that lady might be devastated if her cat didn't come home. Would the satisfaction of getting rid of the cat be worth the consequences to her? Is she the only one not thinking of the feelings of her neighbors?<br /><br />I suggest live and let live. Find a way to keep the cat out of your boat but let your neighbor keep her treasured pet.
JB I see your point but... The bottom line is If you want to take on a pet you need to take on the responsibility that goes with it. If you cant handle it then you should not have a pet.<br /><br />I would not expect my neighbors to put up with my lab dumping on their lawn or slobbering on their grill, or jumping on their patio furniture. As a responsible pet owner I make sure this does not happen. If I could not stop it I would expect the worst. An untrained animal is just another form of animal abuse.<br /><br />There is no way that this cat getting in the boat is truly reelpoors problem. He should not have to put out anymore effort than to tell the owner about it to correct the problem.

NathanY

Commander

I suggest live and let live. Find a way to keep the cat out of your boat but let your neighbor keep her treasured pet.<br />
Why should he have to find a way to keep the cat out of his boat? I would tell the old bat to keep the GD cat of of my GD boat or she will be sued. I get so pissed at this kind of stuff. <br /><br />Get pictures of the cat in your boat, then sue her a$$ for damages. Being elderly does not mean she is better than anyone else, or above the law.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

^^^ Agreed. My doberman cross once killed a kitten. The owner had let it out on the street before it had even had its 1st innoculation. I didn't realise he had it until too late as he and it were in a bush. <br /><br />She threatened to call the police.<br /><br /> I asked her what kind of responsible pet owner would allow a 6 week old kitten out in the street and told her to shove it.<br /><br />If you own an animal then either look after it or lose it-and if it's a nuisance then it's your responsibility.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree that the cat shouldn't be messing up your things and you have every right to be upset but why would you take the problem into your own hands? You asked the lady to keep her cat out of your yard and she isn't. It not your responsibility to enforce the law. That's what we have police for. Call the police and let them handle it.<br /><br />They will talk with her and tell her that she needs to keep the cat inside. <br /><br />If she doesn't she'll be fined and threatened by the police (not you) to have her cat taken away. Then THEY are the bad guy - not you. <br /><br />Problem solved.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

The best way to deal with granny’s kitty is a conibear #220 steel trap. It will snap kitty’s neck and not make a sound. Silent and very deadly Place it in front of a 5-gal bucket put kitty food in the back of bucket kitty walks into bucket and no more kitty. If granny gets a new kitty reset trap. :D RESOSIBLE PET OWNERS DO NOT ALLOW THIRE PETS TO RUN THE NEIGHBOR HOOD AND BECOME AN ANUSENCE. Just the way I see it!

redone

Cadet

just a thought but maybe granny dose not know how to keep the cat away from reelpoor's property if he was to have her help him cat proof if she is willing she might be apreciative (?)as she probobly has places that this cat has damaged her own property but dose not know how to keep it away .

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

redone <br />Granny doesn’t care that why she lets the cat run wild. And what is cat proofing? Cats are not children they don’t understand they are just are cats. Don’t place human values on cats or other animals.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The conibear #220 steel trap will not kill in seconds see the test results http://www.doc.govt.nz/Publications...ch/DOC-Science-Internal-Series/PDF/DSIS50.pdf <br /><br />Catch the cat in a live cage, take it round to said old lady and say look legally I could have killed this cat but my christian nature is giving you one more chance. If you catch it again take cat to an animal shelter to be rehomed why should the cat suffer because of the owner?>

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Your answer to your problem was in your first post and you did not take advantage!!!!<br /><br />Animal control left trap for three weeks!!! <br /><br />You had the oppertunity to be-friend the critter long enough to put it in the cage and call the pest controll people!!! ;) :cool:

ehenry

Commander

Real Poor, the only thing I can say for ya to do is....Do what you have to do. It doesn't matter what you do. Dont tell anyone about it and let it be over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.