Neighbor that hasn't returned tools

ezbtr

Commander
And we've talked about it 3-4 times, this was from at least 6 months ago, my router bit set, which NOW I need back, texted him 5 days ago and he said he'd get them back to me, so yesterday after noon I texted him back saying TODAY before noon would be nice, no reply - he remembers (he wanted to borrow other tools months back "after I return these of course" ), he's not a good friend, we all go to the pool with other friends who I AM good friends with and so are they. My buddy told me a few days ago, he did the same to him, now I'm getting pissed.....
Any experience with this? Next move?
Thanks guys :)

ezbtr

Commander
Go over to his house to get the tools and be done with it.
I would, I just dont want to make a stink for $30-50 in bits, although he has proved himself (dad of 4, "church goer") wrong, a huge flake, glad I'm not the only one who is aware of it, I told our other friend/good buddy of mine, he'll never get a damn thing from me again, folks like this CHOOSE to not return tools, money(just dumped an old friend of mine over a $700 debt 30 yrs ago when she JUST asked me for $1000 loan, although shes been proud to tell me for years she makes over 100K) because they THINK the world owes them, although YOU have only helped them out, its a f***ed up mind that does that

briangcc

Commander
Ohh heck I'd just text him and wifey - "Keep the tools you borrowed, don't bother asking me again for anything".

Don't rely on the friends or family plan to get your stuff back, go direct. Then block the numbers and buy some new bits/tools.

ezbtr

Commander
Ohh heck I'd just text him and wifey - "Keep the tools you borrowed, don't bother asking me again for anything".

Don't rely on the friends or family plan to get your stuff back, go direct. Then block the numbers and buy some new bits/tools.
I'm thinking about that, pisses me off, I even got him some free wood pallets too....it should be interesting at the pool areas this summer, starting this weekend....

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
Ohh I've been there so I understand completely.

My wife loaned out an infant life jacket to a family friend for the day 2 years ago. I still haven't gotten it back because....instead of being an adult, the family friend returned the life jacket to her mommy instead and expected us to retrieve it. WTF?

Anything I loan out to that family I have to chase down so they're on a do-not-loan list.

Chief Petty Officer
Don't pussyfoot around . Assert your dominance.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Buy new bits and never ever loan him anything again.

The reason he hasn't given them back is he either doesn't have them anymore or can't find them.

ezbtr

Commander
Buy new bits and never ever loan him anything again.

The reason he hasn't given them back is he either doesn't have them anymore or can't find them.
Yup , my thought, I actually would and could completely embarrass him to my entire neighborhood and community - I'll mull this over .....

aspeck

Staff member
Yup , my thought, I actually would and could completely embarrass him to my entire neighborhood and community - I'll mull this over .....
And that would prove exactly what? Drop it and move on. Your physical and mental health is worth much more than the cost of the $30 bits. Let it be a lesson learned. No more loans to that household. You don't have to be all friendly or buddy-buddy, but to be a jerk about it just isn't worth it.

ezbtr

Commander
And that would prove exactly what? Drop it and move on. Your physical and mental health is worth much more than the cost of the $30 bits. Let it be a lesson learned. No more loans to that household. You don't have to be all friendly or buddy-buddy, but to be a jerk about it just isn't worth it.
yup, thats my plan :)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My. Oil. Filter. Wrenches. The brother-in-law borrowed one. I had to buy a new one as it was never returned, big deal it's just another wrench. This happened two more times, he would borrow them without me knowing. Every time I needed it, it was gone. Was at his house one day and there they were hanging in a hook in his garage, all of them. I took them off the wall put them in my car and he had the nerve to say how am I supposed to change my oil?? BUY A WRENCH!!!!!

ezbtr

Commander
yeah I know I could go punch his lights out etc but w/ his "ok" wife and 4 kids, I just dont wanna , he'll be squirming at the pools this summer though , Im sure and he and his family WILL NOT be getting any invites again to my house, damn shame. Not sure if his wife knows, my guess is if not, she will soon

Tjy7510

Cadet
And we've talked about it 3-4 times, this was from at least 6 months ago, my router bit set, which NOW I need back, texted him 5 days ago and he said he'd get them back to me, so yesterday after noon I texted him back saying TODAY before noon would be nice, no reply - he remembers (he wanted to borrow other tools months back "after I return these of course" ), he's not a good friend, we all go to the pool with other friends who I AM good friends with and so are they. My buddy told me a few days ago, he did the same to him, now I'm getting pissed.....
Any experience with this? Next move?
Thanks guys :)
A neighbor borrowed my aluminum extension ladder one time to prop up a tree that was leaning against his house. He returned it after a few times asking him and was all bent up. That's when I found out the tree fell over with my ladder under it. Took another month for him to buy me a new ladder.

ezbtr

Commander
Stop being friends with the husband and start being friends with the wife.
Oh yeah, that guy will not be my friend anymore - the wife - Oh Lord no, ugh......but boy did that sure make me laugh!!! ;) The real shame is , we have mutual friends and all the kids are great, just not the dumbass self entitled dad, I know it's not the 1st time, he borrowed a game from those friends, took months to get back, but when someone borrows" TOOLS?????? Hell no...his wife would have to know?? He seems to be a good dad, but what if his kids ever heard about this stuff???

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I don’t get what the hesitancy is to simply go over to his house and get the tools. What’s the big deal in that? This modern tendency to text about everything rather than call on the phone or see someone in person boggles my mind. Just man up and go over to his house and tell him you need your tools now, not later but now. This is a no brainer. Then when you get the tools never ever under any circumstances loan him anything again.

ezbtr

Commander
Because I don't want to slap him around like a little ***** in front of his wife and kids