Negative wire combining ?

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Front of the pontoon has the two navigational lights and a set of headlights/fog lights. I am rewiring it all up but not sure If I can do this or not.
I would like to take the negatives from both set of lights and tie them together and run one negative wire back to the fuse panel negative bus. Each set of positive is being run back on its own. Is that okay to do or should each set of lights have their own negative wire run back. ?
I can't see why not but like to verify it.
Each set of lights will be on its own rocker switch (on/off) with each rocker connected to its own fuse panel slot (can't think of the right terminology right now lol).
Thanks
Mark

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. Well went out and started pulling the tape off and now confused again. When they wired up the DOCKING lights (ha recalled what they are called) they used the black for power and white for the ground. I thought it was the other way around. These are PM-525 lights. Does it matter which wire is used for + and - ? I coudln't find any info online about that. Before wasting any wire like to make sure of what I'm doing since my brain is telling me white + black - (not for home wiring tho I know,which causes me more confusion when going back and forth). Are the wires bi or were they missed wired ?
Thanks again

alldodge

Staff member
The PM-525 are halogen lights which use filaments. This means they can be hooked up in either just like any other incandescent light bulb, such as the Nav lights. If they were led then the direction would be needed.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Polarity won't matter as far as function of the lights. However, as far as I know white should be ground. I'm not sure what the offcal standard is but white is negative in RVs.