Need to vent....

driz

Seaman Apprentice
Yup, that's the part. The new one has an "a" suffix. I challenge you to find a parts diagram showing it though. The Internets had told me that this was integrated into the fuel tank in 2017+, but if this is the fix then apparently that isn't the case. So I guess good news there. I may see if the stealership will replace it now, or check with the other local one.
My sister had a BMW around 2005 year. She had a check engine light come on. She didn’t check it immediately though it wasn’t flashing. When she took it in the dealer said oh that’s around $4000 to fix. I did a lot of grubbing around on the Internet because I don’t trust those high-end car dealers at all. Come to find out, that particular model came out with a fuel pump that was literally built into the gas tank. They had a lot of problems with it, and the cost of that thing was massive so apparently they switched to a sensible pump you could remove. Lead to several lawsuits and a class action lawsuit if I remember right so BMW responded by offering to repair these things for the life of the car if anyone had one. Here’s the rub. It’s sort of their dirty little secret and if you didn’t know, they weren’t gonna say anything😡.
I told my sister about what I discovered and like most older women she blamed it on no I didn’t immediately jump on that yellow light issue. You can’t win these 😵‍💫people. In the end, she ended up giving the car to her son and getting a Lexus. So after discovering this it prove to me everything I’d only thought about the Steelerships, keep away keep away. to this day, my sister still believes she destroyed that car by driving it with steady central check engine light😵‍💫

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Update:
Mini: Got it fixed, reasonable job. Had to remind him that after 2 weeks, there was a firm deadline. He ignored it, but ended up working on it over the weekend and finishing it. Showed up and total due was $450 more than I was quoted. He said the part cost more than he thought. Not my problem, but nothing I could do at that point. The guy that hit me ended up paying the whole thing in cash. I felt bad about it, offered to let the guy do some work for me (he's a contractor) but he just paid up. Then one week later my neighbor on the other side's mother backed into me. Knocked off some trim and some minor stress cracks on the bumper. Not enough to pay for a fix, but you can imagine how pleased I was.

VW: Fruitless going back and forth. Left it there until last week. Drove it home and decided to fix myself. Pulled the part out of the tank to verify the number (as mentioned, it doesn't show up on the parts diagrams). Talked to the parts guy at the other dealership (who told me it didn't exist). Mentioned the recall, and he said that a fix came out YESTERDAY. I decided to let them take care of it. Put fuel in the tank through the sender before putting the old part back.
They replaced the part, but said that the evap and everything still needed to be replaced, N80 (purge) valve, and lines blown out. Said VWoA wouldn't cover it and it would cost $1900. He was very apologetic, but said hands tied. He admitted that he didn't know how else the system would overflow like that, and that was what the recall was about. He again brought up that I could have overfilled it, until I reminded him that there was no gas in the tank. I found the necessary parts for $500 and decided to do it myself. This morning, he called me at 7:30. Apologized for calling so early, but he was excited to tell me that he escalated the issue, and the boss at the dealership spent a bunch of time on the phone with VWoA and got them to cover the repair. So after almost 3 months, it appears that we'll have a full stable again on Tuesday.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Man I hope things get better for you moving forward. You have had enough for awhile.
All the Best

aspeck

Staff member
Glad you found a decent dealership! That is exactly what a dealership should do… apologize and go to bat for the customer!

flashback

Captain
That story is so good! Sounds like some kindle books I read. It needs to be published!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Then one week later my neighbor on the other side's mother backed into me. Knocked off some trim and some minor stress cracks on the bumper. Not enough to pay for a fix, but you can imagine how pleased I was.
you may need to wrap your cars in bubble wrap.....

Scott06

Admiral
Yeah, I haven't even mentioned the stupid isht I've done that have caused me bodily injury lately
Comon man you cant drop that dime and not tell... post it at 5 or 6 tonight so we can enjoy it over a beer... and then chime in with our stories that all start with "hey guys watch this... "

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As a kid I spent a lot of time riding BMX bikes. I can’t tell you how many times I said watch this and it ended with a trip to the hospital. 😂
Then there is the odd 💩 that happens.
A few years ago I was raking leaves ( how dangerous can that be) the handle broke hit me in the mouth and I knocked a tooth out.
Cost me $900.00 bucks for a bridge.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Comon man you cant drop that dime and not tell... post it at 5 or 6 tonight so we can enjoy it over a beer... and then chime in with our stories that all start with "hey guys watch this... "
Otherwise occupied at a Sox/O's game in Baltimore tonight, I need to be able to post pictures. I can tell you that the injury feels much better after an unhealthy amount of natty bo.

aspeck

Staff member
Hey Mike, we all do dumb stuff to our bodies … last Saturday cleaning up from some flooding I slipped on the muddy surface and went down on one knee … got up and immediately went down again … hard. Boggered up my shin, buttocks, back, and shoulder while ripping my pants. I am so disappointed that no one saw it, I am sure it was epic! I crawled to a tree to get back up … didn’t want to fall a third time.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
My chainsaw is giving me issues, I have a weak spark, the replacement part is over $100 and takes 8-12 days to ship. I can buy a refurbished saw same model for $300 and get it by Friday.