Need some Singer sewing machine advice please.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this thread (please correct me if it's not!!). I will have a little upholstery to do on a resto project that I'm working on and will probably try to do it myself. I have been doing some reading and saw that the singer 201 and 15-99 come highly recommended by several people. I have found what I think is the correct machine and the owner is only asking $20, but says that it hasn't been tested, is in "rough" condition, and they don't think it could be restored for use. Therein lies my question. The machine doesn't look THAT bad in the pictures that I have been sent. The cabinet looks pretty rough, but not necessarily the machine. I understand these machines to be pretty robust, but I don't know if they are hard to get working if they don't and really don't know what to look for or walk away from. Can anyone give me some advice on this machine? Is it worth buying? Does it appear to be un-repairable? Thanks.

Attachments

• photo321911.png
    photo321911.png
    669.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321912.png
    photo321912.png
    563.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321913.png
    photo321913.png
    627.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321914.png
    photo321914.png
    677.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321915.png
    photo321915.png
    653.6 KB · Views: 0

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also.... I understand that the gear driven models are clearly better for upholstery, but will the belt driven model work at all? I plan on simple upholstery with single piping. Bench seating with some sort of straight pleats/stitching in the cushions. So, I think that = max of 4 layers of vinyl.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would also like to know if a 201-2 will fit in a treadle cabinet. I don't want to convert it to a treadle, but I think the treadle cabinets are cool. :D

emoney

Commander
I have a 70's era belt driven Singer that has served me well for the upholstery work I've done. That includes 2 sailboats, a 22' and 27' and now my 2nd walkaround that I'm in process of redoing the cushions on. Outside of that, I don't have any experience with model you're looking at, so no help there.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If everything is there you should be able to get it running . Give it a good cleaning and oiling .. There are manuals that show how its threaded and how to set the tension .. Plug it in and see if it works .. Heck for 20 bucks go for it ..
Woodonglass would be a good source for info on it . Might send him a PM ...

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 70's era belt driven Singer that has served me well for the upholstery work I've done. That includes 2 sailboats, a 22' and 27' and now my 2nd walkaround that I'm in process of redoing the cushions on. Outside of that, I don't have any experience with model you're looking at, so no help there.

That does answer one question for me. I read an opinion somewhere else also that the belt driven models would indeed work for vinyl. Thanks.

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
If everything is there you should be able to get it running . Give it a good cleaning and oiling .. There are manuals that show how its threaded and how to set the tension .. Plug it in and see if it works .. Heck for 20 bucks go for it ..
Woodonglass would be a good source for info on it . Might send him a PM ...

I think I was able to find all of the PDF manuals that I think I'll need and that's the plan. I've also been looking into parts and they seem available, for the most part. I figure unless it's been dropped out of the back of a truck or as you said, missing parts....I'm hoping all it needs is a good cleaning. We'll see! Thanks for the input.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I think I was able to find all of the PDF manuals that I think I'll need and that's the plan. I've also been looking into parts and they seem available, for the most part. I figure unless it's been dropped out of the back of a truck or as you said, missing parts....I'm hoping all it needs is a good cleaning. We'll see! Thanks for the input.

Based on the Serial Number she's a 1949 201. Not sure if she's the -2 model or not. I'm still looking.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...ger-201-1.html

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36...ml#product-201

I sent you a PM.

Last edited:

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
As well as the advice above there is a " shirt" load of info on Youtube about them,
from restoring the cabinets to servicing the machines themselves...and the proper way to thread them,

$20 = equals bargain,
l paid $ 100 AUD earlier this year for a treadle model with very nice cabinet,

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If all else you can make one of these
Image result for Tractor sewing machine

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
As well as the advice above there is a " shirt" load of info on Youtube about them,
from restoring the cabinets to servicing the machines themselves...and the proper way to thread them,

$20 = equals bargain,
l paid $ 100 AUD earlier this year for a treadle model with very nice cabinet,

I'll check it out. Thanks!