Need some Merc info.

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is a 135hp merc on a 1972 Crestliner. Thinking of buying it just to swap onto my Lund. Owner claims it runs fine but was unsure of the year of the engine. Said it has power tilt/trim. Can anyone nail down what year it might be with this fuzzy pic? Any major issues to look for? If I get a chance to test compession what's a good number for these inline 6 mercs? Hate to buy it untested in the winter but the owner is moving out of state in a few weeks and does not want to take the boat with. It's a 2-3 hour drive for me just to go look at it....

03-05-08_0934.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need some Merc info.

get serial number of transom mount, 100 + psi with in 10% of each other. you need screw in type tester, with flexible hose to test bottom cylinder. check spark, and lower unit oil, try to at least run it on muffs. they are noted to be hard to start, you have to almost flood them to start.

Laddies

Banned

135 inlines were only built in 1970 and 71

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didn't realize it was only made with this hp rating for just two years. Are parts for these readily available?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

TD, 100psi way to low those motors..130 be nice

Have a crank up rebuilt 135
Do a comp test (hard to do #6, but if the rest ok,,good nuff). Any under 115 (I'd walk on 120), walk away.
Figure a new water pump impeller.
Pull the distributer cap, and look at the cap and trigger. Crud and rust..walk
Have it started up on muffs cold