harringtondav
Commander
Thread starter- Joined
- May 26, 2018
- Messages
- 2,523
Drive has to be in neutral when pulling or reattaching that drive. While you have the drive off may as well check u-joint bellows, gimbal bearing & u- joints. Cheap insurance, parts not that expensive & not too difficult to replace. If they check out ok, pump some grease in if needed. One very important point. When you refill that drive do not fill it from bottom drain plug, or he'll grenade the drive in no time flat. Fill it ftom the middle plug on starboard side to avoid an air pocket. It will take about 2 quarts. When I was wrenching on mine I would fill it, wait a few hours & check it again before running it. There's a quart pump you can buy with a fitting on the end that will screw into that middle fill plug. Makes it a lot easier.
"Drive has to be in neutral when pulling or reattaching that drive. While you have the drive off may as well check u-joint bellows, gimbal bearing & u- joints. Cheap insurance, parts not that expensive & not too difficult to replace."
- Thanks, and pulling the drive is my intention. The condition of his exhaust bellows has me worried about the condition of the DS bellows. I could meet my promise by just dropping the lower hsg, but the kid wants to boat in the upper Miss river with his three kids. Once I've got my hands on the thing, I won't allow a catastrophe.
Also, thanks for the refill advice. I've got a couple lube pumps that fit my Merc's plugs. Will see if they work on his OMC. His Cobra has more plugs than I can shake a stick at. I plan to dig into Boatinfo's maintenance pages for refill, lube spec, etc. before I cut him loose with his boat.





