Need some advice.( and the result)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need some advice.( and the result)

Well, LT, there are times that the language fails me.<br /><br />I don't mean "the love of my life" in romantic terms. It is something that goes beyond, and comes after romance. It comes of bearing grief and sharing joys, getting through hard times and coming out on top. . .together.<br /><br />It is the sort of thing that makes warriors die to protect one another.<br /><br />I don't know if the language offers words to explain it any better than that.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Well, LT, there are times that the language fails me.
Well that is not true . . . I think of you as an outstanding writer and you were clear. Others (me included) wanted to turn this into a movie script instead of it being real life.<br /><br />Personally, I think something nostalgic along with a card and flowers are a no-brainer, but if I were you, I might even share parts of this thread. Everybody wants to know how special they are to others. And being special to someone who appears to be a genuinely good man, is especially special . . . ;)

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Originally posted by JB:<br /><br />I don't mean "the love of my life" in romantic terms. It is something that goes beyond, and comes after romance. It comes of bearing grief and sharing joys, getting through hard times and coming out on top. . .together.<br /><br />Dang, JB, if that isn't the ultimate description of love, then I don't know what what is. Anyway, I hope it all works out the best for all of you. ;)

mattttt25

Commander

i was going to say the same thing... sure sounds like love to me. most of us don't get past the romantic phase to appreciate what you describe.<br /><br />flowers and a card are fine.<br /><br />but maybe there is something else. what better day than to express those feelings and see if they are truly mutual? do you really want to let it pass? if you are honest with yourself, and the answer is yes, then best of luck. but i have a slight feeling you are undecided in what you really want.

brother chris

Commander

Looks like you got all the advice you need JB. Hope all goes well for you two. <br />Have a great dinner and enjoy your time together. :)

ebbtide176

Commander

from your opening stmts, it shows that you have always been deep in unrequited love for the woman - otherwise it wouldn't have been so apparent to the following women who basically told you so.<br /><br />and i think i understand the 'other than/beyond romantic' part, since i kinda feel the same towards my wife of 18yrs.<br /><br />so i'm wondering a couple of things to help make a suggstn on the flower/gift issue.<br />- you must not be able to truly express how strongly you feel in a convincing way, or you'd not really need much of a gift, other than words...<br />- you must not have adequately posted the same word for word question to your daughters, or you'd be all set by now <br /> :D <br /><br />so, i think IF those 2 are true, you need a very cozy/warm&fuzzy medium sized flower arrangmt engineered by a professional woman/flowerperson who excells at what colors/species constitute cozy/warm&fuzzy. + a totally original type gift, something you engineered, like maybe the brouche idea with stones you had added to a base gold foundation, or maybe a bracelet with your 2 birthstones and a short engraving on it (front or back) with your words.<br /><br />maybe "50 years of my love" or "to the woman i've never stopped loving with all my heart" - that kind of thing.<br /><br />but that's just my 2c :)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Go for the flowers and a small gift, especially if the gift is relevant to your past.<br /><br />(The most beautiful rose is actually called "Peace", and it is not red. (you probably know the story behind it).)<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi JB,<br /><br />In one or two other posts there have been veiled refrences to a deep rooted friendship (perhaps something a little more) attachment to Elizabeth. I think that having maintained the relationship for all those years despite at time trying circumstances deserves a special gift. Some things to think about, ladies help me out here.<br /><br />Red roses are definitely romantic and in my mind would give that impression to Elizabeth, you may not want that yet ;) . A mixed arrangement may be more suitable.<br /><br />The gift associated with a 50th anniversary has always been GOLD. Woman generally are sensitive to these little details so buy her something gold. You will not need to say "happy 50th anniversary" she will know what the gold symbolises.<br /><br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Jb, like a lot of the others have said: go with what you want to do. I can't believe that you think language fails you :confused: your description earlier about experiences shared etc was probably one of the best descriptions of love I've ever read.<br /><br />And anyway if I had the answer to the original question and I could understand women do you seriously think I'd be on this board? I'd be a multi-billionaire with my own book on "How to Understand a Woman".........<br /><br />.........of course it would be sixteen volumes long, with numerous disclaimers and would be classified as "Fiction" :D :D <br /><br />boats on the other hand....... :cool:

magster65

Commander

tick-tock-tick-tock...<br />what's he gonna' do...<br />what's he gonna' say? :)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

JB,<br /> Sounds to me as if your saying it was more of the love of your life time, (and that time has passed, as you see it) than the love of your life. Any way best of luck to ya, enjoy each others compamy this weekend and for how ever long you can. BTW Hand written card and flowers, big two thumbs up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

We had a wonderful time. :) <br /><br />Single yellow rose and a personal, handwritten note.<br /><br />Thanks all for your support and advice.<br /><br />
watermark.php

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

JB<br /><br />You look like 2 very happy people in that photo.<br /><br />GOOD friends are very hard to find these day, Elizabeth and yourself are both very lucky to have each other.<br /><br />I'll raise a glass with you to many more years friendship.<br /><br />Best wishes to you both. :)

one more cast

Captain

JB,I didn't give any advice because I'm on my third marriage (1 year anniversary today) but glad you had a wonderful time.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

JB, you and Elizabeth make one of the most handsom couples I've seen in a long time....glad the evening went well. <br /><br />From all you've said about the lady, my bet would've been that you could have takin' a stalk of sagebrush and a handwritten note and she would have graciously accepted it. Hard to find that type of lady.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

good smiles JB.. and good call on keeping it simple ;)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB, you two look so happy! You two are fortunate to have each other to share a friendship.<br /><br />....hmm..kind of looks to me like you trimmed your beard up a little for that day. :)

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good friend are hard to come by, and when friendship is offered accept them with open hand and heart. But then who am I but a friend to give my $0.02 worth. :D ;) <br /><br />JB, that's a nice picture of you two together. Have it made bigger and frame it for 'old time' sake.