Need help with transom repair...

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just didn't know if it needed to be a specific type of PolyU...The recipe mentions a Poly for flooring.

Last edited:

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided to redo my transom with 2 layers of plywood to get to 1.5" in thickness.

I just have not decided whether to use the bondo fiberglass resin, sand, then paint
OR
Old School Seal Micture and paint

What would be the better option...

jbcurt00

Staff member
The Old Timers Formula WoodOnGlass suggests? Yes, the Urethane, Mineral Spirits & Boiled Linseed Oil mix

FYI Bondo Fiberglass resin is polyester resin, which is prone to cracking w out also using Fiberglass cloth/mat, and would be my last choice after just well painted w Oil based enamel.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to replace the wood transom with plywood, seal it with polyester resin and some light fiberglass cloth. Make sure to seal the edges.

If you do not want to do that, use some spar polyurethane, say 4 coats. You must seal the edge of the plywood well.

Spar urethane holds up to sunlight very well, hence the name "spar".

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Guys for the help.

I think I want it painted. So I may go with 2 coats of old school and 2 coats of paint.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lots of pant.------Thin the first 2 coats so it soaks into the wood.-----Will last about 10 years.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, you can lead a horse to water, but he might just jump off the bridge.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess my thinking was to protect the wood with the sealant and then paint as often as needed to protect the transom over the years.

One way or another the transom will out last my ownership of it...but I do want it to last for the next owner as well.

And it is hard to know what is the best way cause everyone has their own opinion....I have heard the seal/paint option, spar, epoxy, etc. And everyone swears by it because that is what they have done.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess my thinking was to protect the wood with the sealant and then paint as often as needed to protect the transom over the years.

One way or another the transom will out last my ownership of it...but I do want it to last for the next owner as well.

And it is hard to know what is the best way cause everyone has their own opinion....I have heard the seal/paint option, spar, epoxy, etc. And everyone swears by it because that is what they have done.
Replacing with new wood protected with fiberglass resin + fiberglass cloth seems to be the consensus 'best' way. There are a lot of other quick and dirty ways that have been offered if you don't want to go that route, but you only need dig a bit into other posts across the various restoration posts to see that the aforementioned steps are the best.

Can you do it a ton of other ways? Sure. Will many of those other methods get you a few more years? Also true. You've just got to consider the options and discern for yourself; everyone is just trying to give you helpful advice to help you make an informed choice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You can stain the wood before applying the spar urethane. Wood stains can be quite dark or even opaque.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am doing a boat with composite materials / carbon fiber / West system Epoxy.----I want the grandson to say 25 years from now.-----" Grandpa built this thing and it will never rot again "----Priceless.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am doing a boat with composite materials / carbon fiber / West system Epoxy.----I want the grandson to say 25 years from now.-----" Grandpa built this thing and it will never rot again "----Priceless.
Yeah man. That would be priceless.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Just put some duct tape over it and buff the rest out.
Why would you "fix" that when replacing it looks cleaner and easier?

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the name of these nails? These are used with the aluminum trim on the transom.

Attachments

• 20220226_081456.jpg
    20220226_081456.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you want to do it only once coat it with epoxy resin esp the edges then paint with several coats of paint to give the epoxy UV protection.